What's new

So what's the consensus on the newer inverter vs. older transformer welders

The calculations for a home shop or for someone just buying something to stuff in the corner of their repair facility and use 5x a year are way different though. The machine that needs to be up all the time is you. Something take a shit you pick up a different project and work on it because you (or your budget) are the bottleneck. Sure it's annoying to want to do some particular thing some particular day and instead wind up working on something else but the actual hit over time is negligible.

Obviously the screeching "but muh time" retards are gonna disagree but nobody cares what those lazy two-bits think anyway.

exactly. and the reason why i give my opinion and follow by explaining my bias. there are a ton of people out there that highly recommend the AHP. i dont, but i'm biased

I’m on the fence either way. I like inverters for the Portability and power savings. I however don’t like them because sometimes the circuit boards go out and can cost 75% of a new machine. Worked at a shop that had 7 dynasty’s. There were many times we would be down to 3 because the others would be in the repair shop(a few miles down the road) and a few times they just bought new ones because we needed machines for a job. The synchrowave in the machine shop never had a problem In the 15 years I was there. However it only got used maybe a few hours a week.
Transformers are tried and true and damn near bulletproof. However they Are heavy as hell and can be worth scrap metal prices when they take a shit also.

Now that all that hasn’t been helpful :laughing: I say buy something with AC/DC and high frequency start. I get asked “what tig should I get” by friends. One got a Esab, one got an AHP. Both are happy with the little they use it. Only advice was stay away from Everlast because those seem to be hit or miss as far as getting a good machine. I remember reading a few threads on the old place that some had DOA units.
Try finding a used transformer and see if you even like TIG at all. It’s not for everyone. It is a novelty for some people.
If/when I ever get another welder, I will see what’s out there. I’m partial to miller’s and probably look at one of the multi process ones that are all inclusive because I don’t have any welder right now.

the downtime of a warrenty claim would cost me more than the machine was worth, so i went to a miller dynasty.

Having tried to warranty a blue turd, all I can say is hope you have better luck than I did.

warrenties always suck. i have great lws that would get me a loaner and do what they can. sucks you had a problem.

That right there is the real answer for business. When time matters you need good local support. Red or Blue, who cares the colour as long as you have local support who takes care of you like that while you fix it. Man I wished I got that as a hobiest.

Tracyb, I did it wrong lol. I just got my prime weld delivered. Got better reviews than ahp, comes with CK torch and a SSC style pedal. Still for dirt cheap, way less than local used Transformers. If it runs for 4 years of my use (low) I'll be a happy man. I I like Tig, I'll just move onto a Miller or htp. I'll make sure to respond on irate if I get burned just to prove you right :flipoff2::grinpimp:

transformer welders will run better on cheap non inverter generators, if thats a factor.

it is for me thank you, even though thats not what i want to hear :rolleyes:

I was in your boat. I went with a Hobart 210 MVP. Ive ran it off a Predator 9000w genny. Bring able to run off a cheap gen was important to me, otherwise Id get an inverter machine in a heartbeat

Try finding a used transformer and see if you even like TIG at all. It’s not for everyone. It is a novelty for some people.
If/when I ever get another welder, I will see what’s out there. I’m partial to miller’s and probably look at one of the multi process ones that are all inclusive because I don’t have any welder right now.
I weld for a living, so I am familiar with it, which might be the reason I cannot decide which one to get lol. I have seen with my own eyes the transformer machines perform almost flawlessly day in and out and the inverter machines (all happen to be miller) have some sort of problem. Obviously the machines at work are used all day every day and do not get taken care of, so I take what I have seen there with a grain of salt. But for me, its an initial cost vs. actual usage vs. longevity thing that is holding me back from making a decision. My brain says that an inverter machine is the answer for me, but my heart says go with a transformer :laughing:

Last edited:
transformer welders will run better on cheap non inverter generators, if thats a factor.

not true. or at the very least not entirely true. being that invertors require far less power an equally capapble machine on an equally cappable generator. invertor will always win. but also some invertors are design to run on a generator and provide a much better arc all the way around.

invertor vs. trans... always a ton of bad info.

also i know it sounds like i'm all for inveters.. i'm not. i'm for the best machine for the job. but bad info on invertors is far more common

not true. or at the very least not entirely true. being that invertors require far less power an equally capapble machine on an equally cappable generator. invertor will always win. but also some invertors are design to run on a generator and provide a much better arc all the way around.

invertor vs. trans... always a ton of bad info.

also i know it sounds like i'm all for inveters.. i'm not. i'm for the best machine for the job. but bad info on invertors is far more common

whats a good inverter mig that is designed to run on a generator?

whats a good inverter mig that is designed to run on a generator?

the millers, htp, tweco, thermal arc and hypertherms that i run all work great on generators. all invertors.

i'm not going to look them all up but i know the tweco, thermal arc, and the hypertherm all had generator specific ratings.

and yes the hypertherm is a plasma but still an invertor and probably one of the best examples of great invertor machines.

do you know of any that aren't? that aren't off brand garbage

i have a hypertherm 30 air that runs just fine off a cheap generator :smokin: probably my fav machine :grinpimp:

Well, this is not what I planned on doing, but this machine popped up on FB marketplace for $600, used maybe 3 times and less than a year old. I decided to pick it up and do a little dc tig with it (and obviously stick, but not as much) to see how I like the inverter machines. I figure too, that I can throw this one in the truck to do small side jobs and take wheeling to run off my generator for those shit hit the fan moments and it can live on the shelf of the garage too. Now that I have this, it will allow me to spend a little more time looking for a good priced used AC TIG machine, because I don't really need to spend new machine money.

IMG_2193.JPG

Top Back Refresh