What's new

So, is the Ferd 7.3 awesome or not?

Just spoke to someone where I’m camping at who tows 11k with his F350 7.3 gas. Said he likes it more then his 2015 LML that was tuned and deleted.

He said it pulls just as good and the 10 speed is amazing

I can confirm that my 2020 F250 7.3L gas pulls better than my stock 2014 LML did. I had 14k behind it the other day and it pulled it with little effort. I'm averaging 14 mpg with it so far unloaded. My LML used to average 20 mpg unloaded, so that's a bit of a kick in the nuts filling up that much more often, but the fuel is cheaper and so is the cost of maintenance. I think I might get a bigger 60gal fuel tank for it when they become available later this year. 34 gal isn't quite enough range with a beast that gets <10 mpg loaded.

What kind of grades and elevation are you hitting?

Isn't a stock lml kinda know for being a turd. I know my buddy who went from a 2011 6.7 PSD to a ~2014 duramax said the chevy was a turd stock.

What kind of grades and elevation are you hitting?

Isn't a stock lml kinda know for being a turd. I know my buddy who went from a 2011 6.7 PSD to a ~2014 duramax said the chevy was a turd stock.
I pulled my 19 3500 single wheel Chevy beside my buddy in a 6.7 Ford 350 single wheel. my trailer was a little bit lighter, he took the hit got about a half length on me then I reeled him in and passed. I was driving that 6.7 earlier that day and I was pretty sure it would have walked my truck. this was from a 60 mph roll up a pretty good grade. truth is they were so close I would not have bet on either one after.

I pulled my 19 3500 single wheel Chevy beside my buddy in a 6.7 Ford 350 single wheel. my trailer was a little bit lighter, he took the hit got about a half length on me then I reeled him in and passed. I was driving that 6.7 earlier that day and I was pretty sure it would have walked my truck. this was from a 60 mph roll up a pretty good grade. truth is they were so close I would not have bet on either one after.

What year 6.7? They've made a fair amount of changes over 10 years. I'd expect most diesels in the last 8 or so years are going to be damn close.

Now that I'm thinking about it, his 6.7 was deleted, but I think he had it on a stock tune. Said he never wished for more power, just better mileage.

At least with a ford manual mode is actually manual. That GMC I was driving man mode is just "drive light" as in put it in M for manual, select the gear you want and it just won't go into a gear above the selected. It will still shift down automatically which is bull shit. I drive this 6.2 in manual mode so I can hold it in the gear I want because it's more capable than the computer thinks it is. The computer will shift it from 6th to 3rd on the steep hills I drive on every day. But if I put it in 5th in M it'll carry it for the most part till I need to use 4th in those cases where it can't maintain speed in 5th. That GMC would just drop to 3rd at 70 in cruise control and scream 5000 rpm for up to 10 minutes at a time. After 112,000 miles of that every lifter or rocker ticked at an idle, sounded like it was going to scatter every time I started it.
Sounds a lot like the description of most of the gmt 900 transmissions. I so want a 3/4 ton w/manual transmission but wont pay the premium. Still trying to get my neighbors stock 12V 5speed.

What year 6.7? They've made a fair amount of changes over 10 years. I'd expect most diesels in the last 8 or so years are going to be damn close.

Now that I'm thinking about it, his 6.7 was deleted, but I think he had it on a stock tune. Said he never wished for more power, just better mileage.
18 power stroke, lined up against my 19 Duramax. honestly they were really close, I think it would be dead even if we had the exact same trailers. both one ton single wheel 4x4 long beds.

19 Dmax wouldn't be LML though, the 18 up was a L5P, monster for torque compared to the previous gen when I drove one to KOH. Bone stock dually, 2018, giant toy hauler, filled to gills with this and 2 4 seat RZR's etc. Around 24K gross and not downshifting going across 40 over all the large hills in NM and most of AZ

Last edited:
Friend of mine bought this to replace his old 6.0 powerstroke that was an extra cab long bed. This is an XLT crew cab short bed 7.3 gasser 10 speed. Just got home from Moab Utah back to grand junction. Says it pulls as good as the 6.0 but that the truck is more stable as in the trailer(s) don’t push the truck around as much. 5.7 mpg pulling that big mess he says, no complaints glad he got this instead of the 6.7

DE55DD30-711A-484A-B9BD-3D40474A0738.jpeg

I got 13.4 cruising around no real highway. I got 8.4 bringing the trailer with the Yukon on it back home. No real miles yet to give good info on. It does run pretty good.

Friend of mine bought this to replace his old 6.0 powerstroke that was an extra cab long bed. This is an XLT crew cab short bed 7.3 gasser 10 speed. Just got home from Moab Utah back to grand junction. Says it pulls as good as the 6.0 but that the truck is more stable as in the trailer(s) don’t push the truck around as much. 5.7 mpg pulling that big mess he says, no complaints glad he got this instead of the 6.7

DE55DD30-711A-484A-B9BD-3D40474A0738.jpeg
Wow! Good info. Do you know what that whole setup weighs?

The ZF6 has like a 500rpm drop between every gear. So you're either spinning the engine real fast or lugging it. It felt like a 5spd with a granny gear. Wasn't ever super impressed with it but I wouldn't hesitate on buying another truck with it because they are reliable.

The ZF6 has like a 500rpm drop between every gear. So you're either spinning the engine real fast or lugging it. It felt like a 5spd with a granny gear. Wasn't ever super impressed with it but I wouldn't hesitate on buying another truck with it because they are reliable.

No it doesn't, 10 speeds are 500 rpm, Zf5 and 6 are around 1000 except maybe direct to OD

In yhe other 7.3l thread, this video was linked, along with a post on FTE? along people with RV's being the prime sufferers of this phenomenon.

Everyone is getting a new long block though, so I'm very interested in how that's cheaper than a new cam+lifters

In yhe other 7.3l thread, this video was linked, along with a post on FTE? along people with RV's being the prime sufferers of this phenomenon.

Everyone is getting a new long block though, so I'm very interested in how that's cheaper than a new cam+lifters

Would you want a new truck that had an engine full of metal shavings and a new cam and lifters? Not me.

BTW, that's what Chevy is doing. New cam, lifters and oil change and out the door.

With the coat of a replacement engine vs the cost of 5k mile oil changes, why would you go with a 10k mile oil change interval?
Unless it's a fleet truck that will be changed out at 100k miles.

With the coat of a replacement engine vs the cost of 5k mile oil changes, why would you go with a 10k mile oil change interval?
Unless it's a fleet truck that will be changed out at 100k miles.
Because oil is much better these days than 50 years ago?

I ran an E150 5.4 2V over 300k on a 20k oil 10k filter interval. The inside was pristine when I retired the van (due to a bent axle tube from constant overloading).

I have seen a shit ton of engines that died an early death from sludged up nastiness. Especially with all the small passages on the variable cam and valve timing engines. Oil is cheap.
You wouldn't have gotten away with that on a 5.4 3v engine.

I have seen a shit ton of engines that died an early death from sludged up nastiness. Especially with all the small passages on the variable cam and valve timing engines. Oil is cheap.
You wouldn't have gotten away with that on a 5.4 3v engine.
I might could have... It was all 5w30 synthetic, and all highway mileage. It was a beautiful golden brown when drained, not dark at all.

Top Back Refresh