What's new

So I finally got an AR, my AK Is better

i have a KAC SR-15 Mod 1 with QDSS can that will make you see visions of Eugene Stoner smiling down from heaven. Yeah, its "expensive" but id rather have 10 guns i paid 2 grand a piece for than 40 guns i paid $500 for.

its like Ferris Bueller said " Lets be honest here, i love driving it, it is so choice. If you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up."

I used to buy cheaper guns, and have started spending more on my firearms. But, I'm not a huge fan of the AR platform. It used to be fun. Anymore it's like screw cleaning it.

My favorite firearm, hands down, is my CZ 527 .17 Hornet topped with a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10 scope. It's got the 24" bull barrel, and shoots lights out for only being a $780 rifle.

All depends on the purpose. I have no use for a 7.26x39 round (I think that's AKs, right?)

AR15's fit my need for hunting, plinking, and SHTF. :flipoff2:

Someone mentioned the old Colt AR-15..... The old Colt AR15 is the best.... Had a loaner for about 5 years, finally had to give it back it was awesome.

I fall into the paid $199 and got an extra 200 rounds and 2 30 round mags group....

Maybe it's because I grew up shooting Russian rifles, but I prefer my AK over my AR and my Mini 14. It's so smooth shooting, seems to not give an F what ammo I shove down the barrel. It's been a loaner gun and it is still as predictable as the day I bought it with 0 upgrades!

My problem with AR is the rabbit hole, you spend $XX and when you complain about an issue it's always "You didn't upgrade this, that is your problem", or "you have to run XX ammo". AK's just don't seem to come with the line of excuses and bullshit that AR's have.

My son didnt smile this big with the AR :grinpimp:

photo14194.jpg

They both have a place. Examples I have of either all shoot well. Examples I have AK's fit and finish are definitely 'clunkier' than AR's but that is part of the charm I guess. If I could only have 1 I'd choose the AR platform though. If I lived in another country that last statement might not hold true.

Well, I spent a total of an 1/8 of weed and a 12pk of PBR for the AK 20 years ago. :flipoff2:

The AR, too much money.

Give me reasons why my cheap vietnamese rifle out performs this $1200 gun

You have $1200 in your AR build?

And that AK would cost you a good penny today.

I bought an sks sporter 30 years ago brand new for $150. Today used would run around $800 plus.

To answer the troll...

Well any of the PRS matches I've shot that allow gas guns it's always AR's, once in a while it's a M1, but never an AK platform. Yeah they're reliable, but most are 6 MOA or so guns. Fine for battlefield combat, but no damn good for long range. I had a MAC90 which is considered to be one of the finer AK's, and it ran fine but It just felt like a janky rifle compared to any of my AR's.

Too many variables with battle rifles to call one better or worse. Loose optic mounts, sights, barrel nut, stock, etc will make any rifle a pos. I’d pull a good inspection on any rifle that doesn’t pattern well at the range and fix it before I condemned it. Go to an NRA high power match and see how many AR’s vs AK’s. Hint... 24:0
Another fix is just get an M1 Garand and call it a party.

I have a buddy that wants a Daniel Defense so badly. I don't know why anyone would spend the money on those.

Neither platform impresses me. Maybe I've never fired a nice enough rifle of either, though. I had a Romanian AK74 that I sold. It was reliable, but not overly accurate. I've had various AR's as well. Meh.

All I own now are bolt actions.

Old Co-worker bought a DD for like $3,500+ He was sooo proud of it. I bought a SM MP15 for $550, we have shot both side by side, I think he was less proud after that. Yea it had some cool little do dats, but end of the day they both went bang and put the bullet where it was pointed.

I like my AR, I am VERY familiar with the platform. It is like an extension of me. I like my AK. It does not fit me as well but it works just fine. Both go bang and do what they are intended. AS far as add ons the AR is much more user friendly.

I could grab either should I need, but I would grab the AR first just because.

I like the M1 Carbine. I never shot an Ak...The AR has more knock down and range and ammo is cheaper...But the wooden stock on the carbine is a nice touch..

You're doing it wrong. The communism is so strong you're willing the AK to shoot decent :flipoff2:

I used to buy cheaper guns, and have started spending more on my firearms. But, I'm not a huge fan of the AR platform. It used to be fun. Anymore it's like screw cleaning it.

My favorite firearm, hands down, is my CZ 527 .17 Hornet topped with a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10 scope. It's got the 24" bull barrel, and shoots lights out for only being a $780 rifle.

You sir have good taste. I was shooting prarie dogs out 450 with mine last weekend. Great little toy.

You sir have good taste. I was shooting prarie dogs out 450 with mine last weekend. Great little toy.

527 in .17 Hornet, or a heavier caliber?

I bought a Tikka T3 Forest in .243, and was quite disappointed with it. The CZ beside the Tikka is like putting a Cadillac beside a Cavalier. I should've just bought a Sako.

All these old guys talking about getting them in a crate with ammo for 1 dollar in the 80s or whenever before I was born.

The Soviet Union and the People's Republic of China surreptitiously flooded the US market with AKs in the 1970s. They did it through proxies. This was seen as a revolutionary tactic, because the AK is an embodiment of Communist Revolution.

There are a lot of 55 gal drums buried out there with AK-74s for whatever, and they are in commie/hippy/leftist hands. They've kept a better lid on the issue than the Right has.

I think it is the Right which will get a huge surprise when the civil war comes. Gun nuts need to buy extra firearms and lots of extra ammo, because I will require a lot when you have to give me one to help you stave off fanatical Commies and BLM.

527 in .17 Hornet, or a heavier caliber?

I bought a Tikka T3 Forest in .243, and was quite disappointed with it. The CZ beside the Tikka is like putting a Cadillac beside a Cavalier. I should've just bought a Sako.

I was using a CZ 527 in .17 Hornet with factory Hornady 20 grn. bullets. I was surprised at how little the wind effected the little bullets. Also ran thru about 300 rounds of .22-250 in a Remington .22-250. Brought the Ruger .17 WSM, but only shot about 5 rounds thru it. My favorite is my Armalite AR-10 in .243. I tend to get a little trigger happy with that and have to spend too much time at the reloading bench. I didn't bring it due to only having 100 rounds loaded at this time.

Loved my yak yaks.

Got lil bob a saint....it's great.

But I have to say a quality ak is awesome.

But an ar in 762 is awesome as well.

I may aquire another ak.

But I think your right about your initial booger flicking. 1200 for an ar compared to a pbr bag o weed trade..

...no contest.

When I want to shoot long, fuck either platform. Give me a Rem 700 in almost any caliber and I'll touch you at a mile with decent glass. If I'm under 400yds, an ak has better stop and never fails, plus I can build a kit with a piece of 1x and a hammer. Up to 75yds and a well built 1911 will hit quarters ($.25) once I know the gun. The ak is a really well designed platform for the average person and that's what its for. Any dipshit can pick it up and be a decent shooter under almost any circumstance. The m/ar was designed to be a first world rifle and it takes first world training, care, and ammo to be worth a shit.

When I want to shoot long, fuck either platform. Give me a Rem 700 in almost any caliber and I'll touch you at a mile with decent glass. If I'm under 400yds, an ak has better stop and never fails, plus I can build a kit with a piece of 1x and a hammer. Up to 75yds and a well built 1911 will hit quarters ($.25) once I know the gun. The ak is a really well designed platform for the average person and that's what its for. Any dipshit can pick it up and be a decent shooter under almost any circumstance. The m/ar was designed to be a first world rifle and it takes first world training, care, and ammo to be worth a shit.

Did you walk to school up hill both ways?:lmao:

Not to ruin a good thread with tech, but...

While back decided I needed a AK. Asked here or 'the place that shall not be named" and ended up with a Century VSKA. It was in stock and the price was right. Tossed on a Magpul folder, MI handguard, and a Sig Romeo 5. Damn if this thing isn't a hoot. I don't know if it's the novelty or what? The gun does not suck, the trigger does not suck. I've built A LOT of ARs, cheap 80%s, fully tricked out customs. Gonna toss on a light, rattle can it and call it good. Already in the rotation in a low vis bag, with a low vis chest rig, as my "awww shiiiit" rig. Still working on those mag changes, but I never plan on needing that shit anywhere other than trying to look cool a the range.

Did you walk to school up hill both ways?:lmao:

Only in six feet of fresh snow...and then I'd only do it barefoot, and be thankful. Seriously, I started shooting NRA 1000 bench and 685 off hand hunter class when I was 12. If I had to have a shtf go to, it'd be an ak backed by a glock 22 or 1911. They just work. They're cheap. They're easy to fix. They're easy to mod. Ammo can be found everywhere in spam cans that last buried for years. I'm not a prepper, but if I was, an ak is mandatory in the stash. An ar? Not so much...unless it's a 10 with multiple caliber barrels

Top Back Refresh