What's new

so I charged a car battery backwards

I found some old timey glass insulators. You'll be pleased to know that soon as I get around to finding one that doesn't have any chips in the glass and I get all the rat shit washed off of it it'll be a butt plug at least once.
You putting various up your ass doesn't bother me a bit, but this is one def giving me One Man, One Jar flashbacks. :laughing:

You putting various up your ass doesn't bother me a bit, but this is one def giving me One Man, One Jar flashbacks. :laughing:
believe me it's more of a concern of mine than yours

these fuckers are thick and heavy, thinnest part is about 1/2", and with how beat up most of them in the pile are (without being shattered), I'd imagine they're generally thrown down onto the ground when removed from the poles

think of it like glasses in a bar, if you aren't in a bar often you'll flinch every time you hear them throwing glasses around and into the sink, like "jesus fuck how aren't they all broken?"

Reverse rotation alternators are hard to find once you convert to a backwards battery.
You gotta buy one for a marine left hand rotation engine, and boat shit is pricey. :laughing:

At least you unhooked it from the car first!
I just worked on an 03 Thunderbird that was charged backwards. The only only module on the network that is NOT fried is the airbag module. Fuckin totaled!
An '03 is a little early to have canbus.

I pulled a g27 deep cycle off a customers boat that some how reversed polarity a few months ago. It failed a load test, but I had to hook my tester up backwards to do it.

as an update, it came back to life charged normal, technically fails a load test, but it's good for 800cca worth of snot, wal-mart just put too optimistic of a sticker on it for marketing reasons

Only issue I have had with a backwards battery charge. Old dude brings his 87ish 4 cylinder mustang to my house. Car will crank, but will not start. Put my charger, jumper on the battery. Red to red,black to black. Try and start car. Just happened to notice while the dude was cranking, the pulleys were spinning the wrong way.

He had put his battery in reverse. Pos to neg, new to pos. Turned the starter the wrong way.

Unhook terminal clamps, spin battery, hook up terminal clamps, start car.
Car ran perfect, dude drove off with no charge for his own fuckup. Next day,went to charge another car, my charger was fucked.
Because of that one dude, I look at the battery and not the color of the cables running to it.

you keep the fucked up charger?
easy to throw a new set of rectifier diodes at them

as an aside his alt was prolly dead from that too

you keep the fucked up charger?
easy to throw a new set of rectifier diodes at them

as an aside his alt was prolly dead from that too
It was old. I got a great deal on a snap on charger that was traded in at the time. It was something like 2003 or so that this happened

update to thread
this battery is still trucking along
started the car through the entire winter nary a hiccup

I don't think charging it backwards temporarily helped it though, I'd bet it'd be happier still yet if it hadn't been fucked with.

Do you guys usually disconnect the battery cables before charging?

I have always done this just because I am paranoid, but I hate having to reset the settings on my stereo..

Do you guys usually disconnect the battery cables before charging?

I have always done this just because I am paranoid, but I hate having to reset the settings on my stereo..

Nope.

But I do try an wear saftey glasses, after seeing one on a gradall, grenade after hooking up the jumpers. Was impressive

Nope.

But I do try an wear saftey glasses, after seeing one on a gradall, grenade after hooking up the jumpers. Was impressive
I had a giant Cat battery explode in my face. Was -10 and I was starting a 3406/B Cat Generator. When I hit the start button it blew the caps off the battery and rained acid all over me. Thankfully I was observing works PPE rule and I had my safety glasses on.

update to thread
this battery is still trucking along
started the car through the entire winter nary a hiccup

I don't think charging it backwards temporarily helped it though, I'd bet it'd be happier still yet if it hadn't been fucked with.
Did you find any chipless insulators?

I had a giant Cat battery explode in my face. Was -10 and I was starting a 3406/B Cat Generator. When I hit the start button it blew the caps off the battery and rained acid all over me. Thankfully I was observing works PPE rule and I had my safety glasses on.

Think this was just a 31. Was in the single digits, bossman hooked his pickup to it. Blew out the side and most the top. Pretty eye opening for everybody

grandpa had a jacket with holes in it from his adventure blowing up batteries
dunno where that went, mighta got thrown away...
Did you find any chipless insulators?
yeah
Pretty sure I posted pictures of them somewhere but scrolling through the sex toy thread shows nothing

they work, but they don't got a narrow enough bit, so they fall out real easy

I got a bunch of little holes in one of my favorite shirts when an optima did its best old faithful impression. Sounded like a tire puncture, then I thought I had steam coming up from under the hood, once opened I saw the yellowtop all swelled up and shooting out the vent.

We were up on a roof. Thought the boss lit off a shotgun, till we saw him doing the zombie walk:laughing:

Weak. you need to try this

He opens the caps when charging. Is that allow the water to rise during charge or what?
Real cool to see those videos out of Pakistan and other places where they get crafty in fixing things. Thanks.

He opens the caps when charging. Is that allow the water to rise during charge or what?
To let the hydrogen and oxygen out.
Sealed batteries recombine the H and O in the separator plates so venting and topping up with distilled water aren't necessary.

I found some old timey glass insulators. You'll be pleased to know that soon as I get around to finding one that doesn't have any chips in the glass and I get all the rat shit washed off of it it'll be a butt plug at least once.
You are sick! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

The other day when I was popping battery terminals back on 4 different vehicles and hooking chargers and jumper boxes to a couple I started thinking about all the weird battery blowing up stories I've read here, I thought, well better turn my head damn quick if it happens. Sparks flew, nothing blew, all 4 started and moved in my latest version of musical chair vehicles. :laughing:

Last edited:
The other day when I was popping battery terminals back on 4 different vehicles and hooking chargers and jumper boxes to a couple I started thinking about all the weird battery blowing up stories I've read here, I thought, well better turn my head damn quick if it happens. Sparks flew, nothing blew, all 3 started and moved in my latest version of musical chair vehicles. :laughing:
If all your batteries hadn't been recently charging or discharging, near-zero chance of going 'splodey. But not zero, so standard precautions are prudent.

Battery explosions that start from a spark are from hydrogen gas at a reasonably stochiometric ratio; usually after heavy charging or sometimes heavy discharging. Hooking jumper to the positive at terminal, then negative on the chassis (on negative-ground vehicles) is to keep the inevitable arc from occurring where a stoich. gas mix could be. I've seen batteries "explode" (not really, just rupture w/o ignition and spray shit everywhere) from hydrogen gas pressurizing the case faster than the vents can handle.

A buddy had an old deep cycle in his off-grid battery bank blow up randomly. Best we could tell, sulfates & crap bridged across 2 plates, caused a dead short / internal drain, battery gassed a ton working overtime to feed the short, and when the case ruptured, something arced and lit off the hydrogen. So he had a case rupture followed by an actual "explosion" (big whoof when the gas ignited).

Only issue I have had with a backwards battery charge. Old dude brings his 87ish 4 cylinder mustang to my house. Car will crank, but will not start. Put my charger, jumper on the battery. Red to red,black to black. Try and start car. Just happened to notice while the dude was cranking, the pulleys were spinning the wrong way.

He had put his battery in reverse. Pos to neg, new to pos. Turned the starter the wrong way.

Unhook terminal clamps, spin battery, hook up terminal clamps, start car.
Car ran perfect, dude drove off with no charge for his own fuckup. Next day,went to charge another car, my charger was fucked.
Because of that one dude, I look at the battery and not the color of the cables running to it.

Can a starter even function backwards?

Top Back Refresh