What's new

snlc

In.

Walked the dogs, finished up the shelving in the new pantry, stocked it and then some. Got up too early so we're both beat, GF ain't cooking so I am gonna whip up a quick corned beef hash and call it an early night.

In, stared at a laptop screen most of the day watching webinars on all the new bullshit they're putting in cars.

In. Fished most of today with little success. It’s super windy and the water is churned up. Not building a fire to make fajitas.

Here. Had a pretty busy and productive day. Got my second covid shit. Started building a dining and coffee table for the kids place. Welded up a metal storage rack and am now gettiing ready to grill up dome filets with sauteed mushrooms and shallots, fresh swiss chard and some broiled potatoes, home grown carrots, onions and garlic.

I'm fucking HUNGRY!

Just got home from a day of wheeling. Partied last night until 3 am. I'm toast.

In. Raining on and off most of the day. Spent the day watching Netflix, seaspiracy was interesting. Binging cobra kai now, shopping c.l. for bmw and dozer stuff.

In, sitting in a Walmart parking lot. I got the main sewer cleanout installed at the curb of my grandmother's house today. I started this project on Monday but have been busy all week. Sure enough it's the city's line that was plugged up like we've been telling them for the last two months. They said that they can't use the cleanout 20' from the road they needed one next to the road but it would be a waste of time to install it because it wasn't the city's side that was plugged up :mad3:.

Boiled sap today. 8h watching it boil. Must have walked ten miles around that fire. The smoke just kept following. No idea why, but I'm totally beat. I really didn't even do much.

Got three mason jars or syrup. Its still warm, but it does seem a little watery. Had it at 219º for about 5m though. Tastes good. Crepes for breakfast.

Also had a friend over to check out land for filling in for the shop. I was under the impression that he was inheriting his uncle's heavy equipment business. I guess they liquidated it and instead he rents the equipment. Almost has me wondering what's stopping me from renting the equipment to stump the area. But he's also going to get it all backfilled and compacted properly. Need to reach out to the concrete guy next. Get some pricing there. I'm guessing that portion is going to be in the $30k range. Poured foundation with 4' frost walls. Something in the 30x40 flavor. Truck is 23' long, so I'm thinking 30' may be a bit tight. Does leave much room in front and/or behind it.

So what do we have to look forward to?

Just even more driver assist (ADAS) shit, and the ever steady march toward driverless cars. Basically so many modules in a car, talking so much and so quickly that we're going to be using ethernet instead of 2 wire CAN systems. 360 short range radar, long range forward facing radar, FLIR, cameras etc...There's so much shit going on that SAE and ISO are changing the way trouble codes are done, because they ran out of 5 digit combinations, and of course CARB wants as many ways to monitor emissions equipment as they can.

Guy running the ADAS class talked about how his new Jeep pickup almost got him killed on the freeway because he had it loaded down enough to the noise pointed slightly skyward and the foward facing radar thought a low bridge was a car in front of him and stopped the rig, then wouldn't let him have any throttle because of the obvious imminent collision... with a fucking bridge.

They hinted at the idea of basically the road being an internet of its own, so the traffic light up ahead can tell your car that the light is red while your nose is buried in your phone and the engine will roll the throttle off while the ABS applies the brakes and prevents you from blowing the light. Also, all the security/safety concerns that come with having your car hooked up to the internet like those guys that hacked a new Cherokee a few years ago via the built in WiFi.

In

Got up and made a killer breakfast, then ran a couple light errands with Mrs (someone forgot to put veggies on the Friday supply run list :homer: )

After lunch I finished digging the holes for the inner gate, the holes have been soaking for weeks and we’re still a pita.

I need to set the posts and get to welding the gate before things dry out. Mrs will be happy once I get that gate operational.

Tomorrow is my Monday, it’s rum&coke time

In but not....... Getting very drunk at Terrelli's in Dallas. We haven't been here since the pandemic started because of the mask bullshit. Life is getting back to normal finally. :smokin:

20210327_211727.jpg

Just even more driver assist (ADAS) shit, and the ever steady march toward driverless cars. Basically so many modules in a car, talking so much and so quickly that we're going to be using ethernet instead of 2 wire CAN systems. 360 short range radar, long range forward facing radar, FLIR, cameras etc...There's so much shit going on that SAE and ISO are changing the way trouble codes are done, because they ran out of 5 digit combinations, and of course CARB wants as many ways to monitor emissions equipment as they can.

Guy running the ADAS class talked about how his new Jeep pickup almost got him killed on the freeway because he had it loaded down enough to the noise pointed slightly skyward and the foward facing radar thought a low bridge was a car in front of him and stopped the rig, then wouldn't let him have any throttle because of the obvious imminent collision... with a fucking bridge.

They hinted at the idea of basically the road being an internet of its own, so the traffic light up ahead can tell your car that the light is red while your nose is buried in your phone and the engine will roll the throttle off while the ABS applies the brakes and prevents you from blowing the light. Also, all the security/safety concerns that come with having your car hooked up to the internet like those guys that hacked a new Cherokee a few years ago via the built in WiFi.

so this is for your certification or the dealership or something? Hard to see the Authoritahs letting the 'internet of the road' slip by. Frankly the tech is pretty well known if there are mandatory transmitters in each car. I feel all the technology is already done elsewhere and it would definitely reduce accidents and injuries.

I don't really believe in 'self-driving' for the exact situatino you described and many others. But playing an algorithm with other cars with mandatory transmitters is not 'self-driving' at all, it's just playing slot machines on technology the military perfected in the 1960s. IFF and Link tech.

And the military is moving in that direction and that's the sexiest technology we export right now, not F-35s. I read the War Zone so I know that CEC-NIFC-CA is cooperative engagement capability naval integrated fire control counter air. Every piece of ordinance has telemetry and sends its information back to the net. So if you are firing artillery shells into the danger zone anyway, whey not have them give their sensor and guidance information back to you as well? Then simple PCs can do a LOT with all of that information.

Well that is an actual operational schema, and it can be applied to cars with very simple rules that will definitely reduce traffic deaths over a society. It will be enraging, expensive, inconvenient, it will present a huge barrier to entry to the market, it will further restrict aftermarket opetions, and I don't see any way to stop it. That WILL work. there will NEVER be fleets of self-driving semis. Ever. But an internet of cars will happen and I can't think of an argument to object other than I don't like it at all.

Just now got home.
Three of us layed new flooring at in-laws condo.
While working on that sold my daily Accord.

After we finished up at my in-laws I went to my parents, my dad is 70 years old, and he is hanging up driving for good (retired truck driver to boot).
Bought his pristine 2005 F250 Super Duty. It has been in the family for the past 9 years plus, just a year ago I put new rotors/pads and some other bits on it. Look forward to owning a truck again, been a few years (circa 2013).

About to have some whiskey and spend time with wifey...

This sounds like a lot of bullshit to keep stupid people alive and from possibly injuring people that realize driving is dangerous and demands paying attention.

so this is for your certification or the dealership or something? Hard to see the Authoritahs letting the 'internet of the road' slip by. Frankly the tech is pretty well known if there are mandatory transmitters in each car. I feel all the technology is already done elsewhere and it would definitely reduce accidents and injuries.

I don't really believe in 'self-driving' for the exact situatino you described and many others. But playing an algorithm with other cars with mandatory transmitters is not 'self-driving' at all, it's just playing slot machines on technology the military perfected in the 1960s. IFF and Link tech.

And the military is moving in that direction and that's the sexiest technology we export right now, not F-35s. I read the War Zone so I know that CEC-NIFC-CA is cooperative engagement capability naval integrated fire control counter air. Every piece of ordinance has telemetry and sends its information back to the net. So if you are firing artillery shells into the danger zone anyway, whey not have them give their sensor and guidance information back to you as well? Then simple PCs can do a LOT with all of that information.

Well that is an actual operational schema, and it can be applied to cars with very simple rules that will definitely reduce traffic deaths over a society. It will be enraging, expensive, inconvenient, it will present a huge barrier to entry to the market, it will further restrict aftermarket opetions, and I don't see any way to stop it. That WILL work. there will NEVER be fleets of self-driving semis. Ever. But an internet of cars will happen and I can't think of an argument to object other than I don't like it at all.

Training to be ready for when this junk is out of warranty. Where I work now is one of a few shops in the area that provide a real alternative to the dealer wherever we can. I'm also seriously considering moving into mobile diag/programming/ADAS calibration on my own so I can move away from pulling wrenches all day. There's decent money in it and you stay clean. We have guys around here that just do airbag work or just do A/C stuff for other shops and they are busy as can be.

The military and aerospace is where all this stuff is trickling down from, FLIR/radar/lidar etc... are getting to where they're cheap enough and small enough that it's no big thing to stuff 4-5 units in a car so you've got radar on all sides plus shooting down-road scanning for threats. The next step is getting it so that the car can ID what's around it, so it can tell a pedestrian from a tree or a mailbox etc so it can decide between running over those kids at the bus stop or grandma in the crosswalk when the "driver" isn't paying attention. You blend them together and add in the internet of shitboxes and you really can make everyone not run into each other so often. The potential for misuse and abuse, especially by the government is what makes it scary to me. Also when it becomes the norm, what do you do? Just outlaw every car that doesn't have it? You could make it mandatory tomorrow and it'd be 10-15-20 years before you'd have more cars with it than without around here.

This sounds like a lot of bullshit to keep stupid people alive and from possibly injuring people that realize driving is dangerous and demands paying attention.

Pretty much it. The stuff is annoying as all get-out if you're actually paying attention, stuff like lane keep assist "Oh you got a little close to the line avoiding that pothole, let me steer us back over straight into it"

Top Back Refresh