What's new

Smoked meat (au natural)

Member Number
Loc
Band for life
From a gcc thread for curing

Here is my recipe

Start of with thawed, dry meat. In this case, a brisket from last years cow.
20211020_173107.jpg

Next, cut it into strips, the length of the meat, 1.5-2" thick. (No picture)
Next, in food safe curing tub.
  • sprinkle salt (course, good salt, not regular table) and chopped garlic in the base
  • last meat
  • more salt and garlic
  • more meat
  • more salt and garlic
  • let sit until the meat drains no more, this will vary by cuts, size, amounts etc.

You're looking for enough to cover it, cure it, without making it salty. Same and with garlic. The internet says 2-3% salt, I just go with my gut, nose and feel, but feel free to measure out for your comfort

Depending on how dry you want it, or flavor full, etc, let sit for 3-4 days in a cool place, sub 60. I usually rotate garage- outside depending on the weather.

After those steps, I like it to come out about like this (I cut in half to prep to hang/ smoke)( cut side up)
20211104_211907.jpg

Next, hang the meat for a day or so to further drain, again, pending your level of dry.

Next, with a cold smoker loaded with hickory, smoke once a day (4-6 hrs), for 3 days, again pending flavor (day 1 pictures)
20211106_052943.jpg

I'll attach photos later of cut and prepped to eat. You slice it thin and eat with cheese or smoked cheese, knick knack and alcohol.

Sorry there is no disfigured recipe. This is old school

(Note: this is a galvanized metal vessel. Yes I understand toxicity issues. No meat, nor cold smoker is in contact with the metal. The Internal temp does not rise to create an issue. The meat is on stand offs. The cold smoker tube is on a pizza stone, resting on hot pads, and internal temp at base or top never exceeds +10° ambient air dependent. )

(Note 2: this is not your new "2.275% salt per wet weight + pink salt x pie/ length² - ambient air÷relative humidity" bullshit. This is meat + salt + garlic + hang + smoke old school. This is cooking a hog in earth covered with banana leaves, not precision new age rotisserie bluetooth driven control. This is weather dependent, as in, the natural weather needed to do this provided a short window, so we do as much as we want for the year, now. In short, this is smokehouse smoking.)

Attachments

• 20211104_211907.jpg
    20211104_211907.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
So you cover it with salt in a tub and leave outside in the fall below 60 degrees.

Hang it below 60 for a day.

Cold smoke it but leave it hanging outside below 60 degrees.

Slice thin across the grain.

Eat

Got it.

So you cover it with salt in a tub and leave outside in the fall below 60 degrees.

Hang it below 60 for a day.

Cold smoke it but leave it hanging outside below 60 degrees.

Slice thin across the grain.

Eat

Got it.
Yup, you had the holiday crunch right?

If your looking for a video tutorial, theres a dude who has a decent visual on YouTube of doing this, he did it different from me m but same outcome. PM me and I can link his video.

Otherwise, for salting. Think left to right shake, up to down to up. Doesn't need to be caked or meat not visible behind salt. Each layer, When it seems to stop draining, hang to dry for a day or two. After that smoke a few times, after that, freezer helps mellow for a day or two.

Different cuts, fat amounts, will vary the process.

Edit, pm me anyway, I'll look for a store bought version for you to base off of if interested

If you eat it let's say day 1 after finish, it'll have a hefty smoke/ salt flavor. Either which way it'll provide a good experience into this,

I'll be testing a deer with this method for shits and giggles.

Top Back Refresh