What's new

Sm465 yj

Hartmanb1

Member Number
Hey guys, researching an sm 465 swap into my yj, gonna do a 5.3, doubler and a Ford 205 with a super duty front, my question is with the bell housing, would love an external slave cylinder, but I'm worried about interference with the front driveline. I'm doing the full width kit from motobilt and narrowing the long side to work with it, and it's supposed to stretch the front about 2 inches, and will be soa on stock height yj springs. Was thinking about trying to find a nv4500 bell and redrilling it, but dunno if that's doable, or the late square body sm465 bell, would like to not use the Novak retrofit slave, but if I have to I do.
Thanks

What is the gripe with the internal slave? Fine if it fails… you have to pull the transmission… don’t buy the cheapest unit off Amazon?

I am stuffing an LS in a Willys M38 I’ll never finish.

LS sm465 D300 in passenger drop configuration. The trans is going to be raised so high the floor board will interfere with the shift fork sticking out of the trans.

I plan to run an internal slave. There are lots of success stories

Really just for ease of service, had an internal one the whole time and I've had the trans out of that damned thing a lot. Back when I would daily it, once a year at least...

It would probably clear. You could do a smaller diameter, thicker wall, drive shaft. You could also make the vehicle taller and limit up travel to prevent the driveshaft from contacting the slave cylinder if it becomes a problem.

a 465 is pretty narrow really. what part are you fearing its gonna hit over an auto or the like?
Oh just worried it would hit the slave cylinder sticking off the side of the bell housing. Just trying to get it sorted before I buy a bunch of stuff and have it not work

It would probably clear. You could do a smaller diameter, thicker wall, drive shaft. You could also make the vehicle taller and limit up travel to prevent the driveshaft from contacting the slave cylinder if it becomes a problem.
For sure with the driveshaft, I want to keep it as low as possible though with the set up, obviously it isn't gonna be super short, but as much as I can. Guess it'll depend on how the case is clocked too

I ran into the clearance issue on my TJ. it would really stuff the front and the driveshaft would rub against the slave. I ended up just making a bracket to move the slave up a little higher and in further, then bent a custom push rod and trimmed and modified the clutch bell crank. It didn't seem to care about any eccentrics and made the release a little quicker is all. I ran a thinner section of driveshaft tube there too. I had the muncie behind the 4.0L and a Klune Goliath in front of an Atlas II 4.3.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, this is all I have in an old folder from when I did this 10 years ago.

2012-01-09_21-29-56_129.jpg

2011-09-15_19-25-20_681.jpg

2011-09-15_19-42-53_666.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-09-15_19-42-53_666.jpg
    2011-09-15_19-42-53_666.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
I battled with an external slave for years and finally said fuck it.

I bought a RAM internal slave and all my issues went away.

I didn't want to go with an internal slave because getting my trans out was a real PIA.

Mine was on the drivers side and I could never get the cylinders correct to create the optimal clutch pressures and if it was optimal the throw was all wrong.

I went this route after breaking my bell housing and going to an aftermarket housing and having it machined.

I believe I still have the passenger side slave housing in a CONEX in CA that I could bring back and sell ya if ya wanted it.

There was no way it was gonna fit in my old rig seeing as it put the slave right in the driveline on the passenger side.

I battled with an external slave for years and finally said fuck it.

I bought a RAM internal slave and all my issues went away.

I didn't want to go with an internal slave because getting my trans out was a real PIA.

Mine was on the drivers side and I could never get the cylinders correct to create the optimal clutch pressures and if it was optimal the throw was all wrong.

I went this route after breaking my bell housing and going to an aftermarket housing and having it machined.

I believe I still have the passenger side slave housing in a CONEX in CA that I could bring back and sell ya if ya wanted it.

There was no way it was gonna fit in my old rig seeing as it put the slave right in the driveline on the passenger side.
Is ram a brand? Or like dodge ram? I found a place that makes bell housings with an external slave that would be cool but shit it's 700 bucks, and it's shaped funny, dunno if it would actually fit without moving the engine forward a bunch... I'll probably just end up doing an internal. It's a pain to change, but I've dealt with it for 20 years

Is ram a brand? Or like dodge ram? I found a place that makes bell housings with an external slave that would be cool but shit it's 700 bucks, and it's shaped funny, dunno if it would actually fit without moving the engine forward a bunch... I'll probably just end up doing an internal. It's a pain to change, but I've dealt with it for 20 years

Ram is a brand.

Yes.

I was a bit confused at first and did a ton of research.

And after a bunch of reviews and what not I went for it.

I'm getting ready to go back and get what's left of that rig and build my Jeep out unless I drastically change my mind.

I just don't get why some people insist on using those old pos 4 speeds in modern builds. :laughing:

3 gears and a granny low sucks. At least use a decent 5 speed or just get with the times and go auto.

They are a circle track based company that makes/sell some pretty cool and universal clutch products.

Speedyway motors is the best internet source /vendor.

I just don't get why some people insist on using those old pos 4 speeds in modern builds. :laughing:

3 gears and a granny low sucks. At least use a decent 5 speed or just get with the times and go auto.
With a modern engine with a modern torque curve only having three speeds isn't that big a deal.

5.3, especially in something light like a yj can cruise down the road at 1200 or 3100 and not give a fuck. It's not like the 22RE powered pieces of shit you are familiar with.

With a modern engine with a modern torque curve only having three speeds isn't that big a deal.

5.3, especially in something light like a yj can cruise down the road at 1200 or 3100 and not give a fuck. It's not like the 22RE powered pieces of shit you are familiar with.

I get that, doesn't make it a good setup.

I had a 465 behind a mild 350 in a k10 on 33s and didn't like it in the mountains. Fun old truck trans, but no way I'm swapping one into something.

Cheap and simple. I like the idea of using the old basic 4 speeds. That said I am not putting one in any of my builds. I put enough miles on them years ago in daily drivers. They are just not fun to drive. More like work. I am still drawn to the simplicity and reliability of the sm464 though.

There's a world of difference between that and a YJ with a 5.3.

He has like double the power to weight you did.

A 1 ton jeep and a 70s k10 are basically the same wieght, and I only had 33s.

I get it, people want a manual and it's the easy choice. Most people I know have ended up ditching them for an auto eventually.

A 1 ton jeep and a 70s k10 are basically the same wieght, and I only had 33s.
And the K10 has to punch a much bigger hole in the air which is why those old trucks with ~200hp drive around town just fine but can't crest a hill on the highway for shit regardless of the transmission they have in them.

He'll be fine, especially with the deep gears that people building rigs for off road use tend to run.

Autos are dumb, and I wanted a tr4050 but 5 grand for what I just paid a hundred bucks for... 🤷‍♂️ Besides it's a yj, not a jl 🖕🖕🖕🤣

Running 94 external slave NV4500 on my Scout II LS swap. Adams driveshafts build me a 2" 1350 CV from shaft. Fucking shit loads of clearance spring over.

Top Back Refresh