What's new

Slug Gun for Deer/Bear

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
(firearms aren't my strong suit so my bad on incorrect terminology :flipoff2:)

So far I'm set on a Savage 212 or 220. I'm thinking 212 because I just want the thing downed. There any others I should look at that anyone can think of?

Then for optics, no idea what to do there. because of the dense forest where I am, a fifty yard shot is the max I'd be able to get to fire without hitting a tree. Most shots are going to be in the 20 - 30 yard range. I've got a Romeo5 on one of my rifles which is fine I guess. But would something some form of magnification benefit me? I've got a peep sight on the 30-30 but would like to try something with an actual scope on it. But then again, perhaps I don't need one for 30 yards? Just a red dot?

Trying to keep the total package at or less than $1000. I can't look it up where I am now, but the 212 was (I think) somewhere in the $500/$600 range so leaves about $300 for optics.

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

That Savage bolt action in 20 gauge is a proven killer and outperforms the 12. The 20 gauge slug is more accurate and has a longer range.

I have hunted in states that require shotgun slugs and I hate it. It boggles my mind how you can run an 1.5oz slug through a deer's lungs and never find the damned thing. Found blood, chunks of lung hanging on saplings but no deer.

I will never profess to be an expert in anything but one thing I have learned in this life , speed kills DRT. For this reason, I am attracted to fast rounds. I have shot a shit ton of deer, as many as 20 a night off an airfield, with a 22-250 loaded with TNT's. I shot them anywhere from the head to the rear of their ribcage and every one dropped in their tracks. I can't say that about my 300WBY mag or any deer rifle for that matter.

Pro tip- same principal applies to humans.

Any decent shotgun with a paradox barrel.

I've kept a "beater" Mossberg 500 clone around for bear defense. Something I bought for maybe $75 years ago. 12 guage slugs are common. I used to have a whole ammo can full, and shot a bunch for shits and grins, before the bullet crisis that Obummer started and this current jackass hasn't helped.

Optics?

I'm not planning on shooting a bear that isn't close enough that I''d even need to really aim. It's more like shooting through the tent wall or 10ft away type stuff. Plenty of times I've been near bears, 99.9% of the time they leave people alone.

I've kept a "beater" Mossberg 500 clone around for bear defense. Something I bought for maybe $75 years ago. 12 guage slugs are common. I used to have a whole ammo can full, and shot a bunch for shits and grins, before the bullet crisis that Obummer started and this current jackass hasn't helped.

Optics?

I'm not planning on shooting a bear that isn't close enough that I''d even need to really aim. It's more like shooting through the tent wall or 10ft away type stuff. Plenty of times I've been near bears, 99.9% of the time they leave people alone.
Not for bear defense, but offense. (hunting :grinpimp:)

that was the thing too, ammo. 30-30 for a short time there was impossible to find. not sure on slugs, but I doubt they were even an issue. :confused:

Brenneke has a 12 gauge magnum that is 656 grains. It delivers around 4000 ft lbs of energy.

Are you required to use a shotgun only where you live/hunt? A lot of midwestern/northern states are now allowing straight wall cartridges which would be my preference.

Are you required to use a shotgun only where you live/hunt? A lot of midwestern/northern states are now allowing straight wall cartridges which would be my preference.
12 gauge slug has more energy than 45-70. Hard to beat the fuck off and die ft lbs of a slug.

12 gauge slug has more energy than 45-70. Hard to beat the fuck off and die ft lbs of a slug.

I‘ve never hunted with a slug, or a straight wall cartridge for that matter, but energy is only part of the equation.

In really thick brush or swamps, it’s very difficult to blood trail effectively. The higher velocity of most rifle rounds often drops them without running off, particularly on neck shots. Not alway the case though, and maybe a slug does too.

I’ve found 3 deer I’ve killed (2 rifle, 1 bow) all with perfect behind the shoulder shots stumbling around in heavy brush with no blood trail. Either divine intervention or dumb luck depending on your outlook.

Every neck shot has been DRT.

The 220 is really nice, but I only use it where I've got the longer ranges. At 50yds or less you're easily in open-sights rifled-slug territory. Grab an 870 or a 500 and be done with it. They make anything you can dream up if you feel the need to dress the gun up more.

Nope. Archery then Muzzleloader, then Firearm.

The 220 is really nice, but I only use it where I've got the longer ranges. At 50yds or less you're easily in open-sights rifled-slug territory. Grab an 870 or a 500 and be done with it. They make anything you can dream up if you feel the need to dress the gun up more.
I've got an L31 for turkey and a 500 for home defense.

ya, not sure on the sights.

I would spend a little more money now and do optics later if you feel like it.
MA is shotgun only for deer, never had the chance to kill one past 55 yards. Only used 16 and 12 gauge, but what was said earlier about the 20 being more accurate is believable.

I practice with my Benelli SBE II out to 125 yards with 2 3/4” rifled slugs.

Christ a 24 and 28 inch barrel. The tactical Fudd shotgun.

Top Back Refresh