What's new

Sleeper PC Build: Geeks gather

Poopyface

Member Number
Back in 2011 I bought an iBuypower lower grade gaming PC. It has been pretty damn reliable and plays most older games without issues but it struggles on newer games so I am looking to upgrade. I don't need top of the line pure gaming components, just a good working PC that can handle most games and isn't filled with bling lights and pretty shit. I want it to look simple.

It's been 20 years since I messed with computers so I am as outdated as I can be. I am in the process of researching what's out there but if any of you Irate geeks have recommendations on prebuilt systems or part lists then feel free to share. Dunno the prices these days but I'm hoping to stay within $600-$800.

Last edited:
/r/buildapcsales

Good luck right now, cpus and gpus are higher now than the past year. I've had decent luck with the amd G cpus, if you don't need insane graphics the integrated is pretty dang good.
​​​​​​

Are you willing to buy a new motherboard and go whole new hardware or are you trying to stick with your current motherboard and just upgrade everything else?

I'm still very happy with keeping my old motherboard and upgrading most of the stuff around it. similar vintage

Are you willing to buy a new motherboard and go whole new hardware or are you trying to stick with your current motherboard and just upgrade everything else?

I'm still very happy with keeping my old motherboard and upgrading most of the stuff around it. similar vintage

I have a gigabyte ga-m68mt-s2p board. I am not sure how outdated it is. It is single channel and currently has 4 gb of ram. Does that matter?

Last edited:
I have a gigabyte ga-m68mt-s2p board. I am not sure how outdated it is.

GA-M68MT-S2P (rev. 3.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

starting here

under "CPU Support" it will show you what CPU''s will work, then it is a fun bit of comparing the CPU specs that you currently have and seeing if there is something on that list that is higher performance. Example, i went from dual to quad core and ~2hz to ~3.5hz for a pretty substantial gain.

AMD Phenom X4 9950 vs Athlon II X4 640 (cpuboss.com)

CPU boss will compare pretty much any 2 that you pick out for more information.

that motherboard will support up to 8gb of memory, so if you are running less than that, some twin cheap DDR3 1333mhz 4gb memory sticks would help if you don't have them already.

1. 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8GB of system memory (Note 1)
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR3 1600(OC)/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

storage support is SATA 3GB/S, so easy enough to add an SSD for some gains, but i'll stick with saying only some. biggest difference i noticed with this was the startup/shutdown time improved greatly! for actual use performance, my HDD is just as good to very slightly better than my SSD. A motherboard that can take advantage of higher line speed will see better performance gains there, but it doesn't make a difference for the vast majority of things.

Still recommend the SSD as it is nice being able to turn on the computer and have it fire up quickly :laughing:

and apparently it is a micro ATX form factor, so depending on how much space you have in your computer housing and if you want to reuse it would be the answer if that matters or not.

but apparently it is still tough getting CPU's out of Taiwan (fuck china, support the crown!) so a bit of what can you get comes in to play.

i'm done pretending to be smart, in this thread at this moment and will let other actual smart people take over :laughing:

Oof pc prices are high right now, everyone is trying to be a streamer
I just picked up an ibuypower build on black Friday for $1100 ryzen 3600 GTX 2070super 16gb of RAM and every game looks good :smokin:

More info on my current pc:

AMD ATHLON II X4 640 3.8GHz
ATI RADEON HD 5570 1GB
4GB DDR3
300w power supply

Max budget is $800. Desired outcome? Play some games at a good graphics setting but I am not super picky. I run my PC on my Samsung 65" 4K tv.

ATI RADEON HD 5570 1GB
4GB DDR3
300w power supply

Max budget is $800. Desired outcome? Play some games at a good graphics setting but I am not super picky. I run my PC on my Samsung 65" 4K tv.

swing on over to pc part picker.

Www.pcpartpicker.com

bench build a pc there.

https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/iqisPf/

well, i built a new parts pile for comparison, came out to about $840 :laughing:

Id look at the 20 series. But i have that exact case and cooler

20210128_225654.jpg

/r/buildapcsales

Good luck right now, cpus and gpus are higher now than the past year. I've had decent luck with the amd G cpus, if you don't need insane graphics the integrated is pretty dang good.
??????

That's what I did last time
AMD 3200G
16G memory
SSD drive
thermaltake 500W power supply
this case --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...itle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=91812054244-20
I can't remember my motherboard like some B450M model.

I think I was in under $500 and I avoided the Microsoft tax by just running Linux.

ATI RADEON HD 5570 1GB
4GB DDR3
300w power supply

4k output is a burden.

what kind of games do you play? You can pick one of the more intense ones and see what the recommended settings are for the GPU.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T vs Athlon II X4 640 (cpuboss.com)

apparently even the $45 CPU will be an upgrade over what you've got currently due to more cores and faster overclocking and larger Cache memory

just about any GPU you can buy now should beat out what you've got and be able to max out your motherboard

Radeon HD 5570 vs GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (gpuboss.com)

Amazon.com: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition DVI-D HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (PH-GTX1050TI-4G) Graphic Cards: Computers & Accessories

cheapest example i could find reasonably available.

adding another stick of 4gb DDR3 memory will help, especially when you claim your free copy of windows 10

and then add in an SSD with games and such on a HDD

edit: so for $400 you could fix up what you have and patch it together, or for $800 go with new stuff and be good for another decade

I do similar with my desktop, just keep changing the guts out of my 2007 case/power supply. I’ll do CPU/motherboard and RAM at the same time if RAM is a new generation. If not RAM gets reused. Then the GPU when the next upgrade budget rolls around. The case has had the fans replaced it’s getting so damn old. My cheap ass even found an adapter for my socket 775 cooler so it would fit my current i7-8700.

This go around I had to figure out what wattage GPU my PSU can run and figured out the best it can support. Unless you want to upgrade that PSU also :laughing:.

Last edited:
4k output is a burden.

what kind of games do you play? You can pick one of the more intense ones and see what the recommended settings are for the GPU.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T vs Athlon II X4 640 (cpuboss.com)

apparently even the $45 CPU will be an upgrade over what you've got currently due to more cores and faster overclocking and larger Cache memory

just about any GPU you can buy now should beat out what you've got and be able to max out your motherboard

Radeon HD 5570 vs GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (gpuboss.com)

Amazon.com: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition DVI-D HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (PH-GTX1050TI-4G) Graphic Cards: Computers & Accessories

cheapest example i could find reasonably available.

adding another stick of 4gb DDR3 memory will help, especially when you claim your free copy of windows 10

edit: so for $400 you could fix up what you have and patch it together, or for $800 go with new stuff and be good for another decade

Ignore 100% of this.

Do not, do not, do not upgrade on your current platform. AM3 is more than a decade old and you're not going to see any real improvement staying on it. Any remotely modern GPU is going to be a waste of money on that platform as well, you're going to completely bottleneck and choke the performance. You likely can't meet power needs with that board and your current power supply either and that's if a newer card will even work on PCI slots that old.

GPUBoss is a joke. They're an adfarm site and have worse information than The Verge does. :rolleyes:

If you want to compare parts, use https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

For that budget you're basically looking for used last gen or 2 gen ago parts, but frankly you'd be better off getting a new console. But you could walk into Best Buy or somewhere similar and buy literally any tower off the shelf and be leaps and bounds better off than you are now on a PC that's basically 7+ generations old

If you really want another PC, wait a few months until current gen inventory gets back to normal and pricing normalizes and start looking for last gen parts for cheap.
If you have a Micro Center anywhere near you, go there and tell them what you're looking for and they'll walk you through putting parts together. Their staff is knowledgeable unlike most retail stores.

But right now is a really bad time to build a PC in general. Demand is through the roofs and parts are scarce. Production can't keep up and it's not just big stuff like CPUs and GPUs, but everything from cases to power supplies. Power supplies especially are crazy expensive due to the shortage.

With that budget, this is what I would do:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wY4PcT

$591 ^

At least that AMD chipset will allow you to upgrade to current gen Ryzen later if you want to.
That CPU is probably 4-5 times or more the performance of your current CPU. The on board Vega graphics will let you run modern games at low-med settings with a decent refresh rate and you can save the leftover money for a dedicated GPU. I've seen 1080 Ti used as low as $200 lately. You can get a regular 5700 new for like $400 if you want.

M.2 drive for the OS is going to blow you away with how much faster it is than booting off a mechanical drive. The mechanical drive will give you a ton of storage for games and whatnot.

Not the best gaming PC in the world, but infinitely better than what you have now and it gives you a realistic upgrade path into current hardware later.

I'd also look into getting a decent monitor. You're not outputting 4k on what you've got, and certainly not doing it with this. TVs don't process in real time anyway, most upscale to 4k and have god awful input lag. Nothing you'd notice watching movies, but if you plan on playing anything competitive online at all you're seeing things well after they happen.

Last edited:
As has already been mentioned, it's a tough time to be building a PC.

That said, most any Intel from the same gen or newer as your Athlon/Phenom will be an improvement, and Ryzen is such an exponential improvement over Phenom, I can't fathom keeping the existing motherboard or CPU, not to mention it's still DDR3.

A mother board, a second hand 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen, and at least 16 Gb of dual channel DDR4 would be my priority.

Keep using your current GPU while hunting for a deal or waiting out the market. Newegg had ~2 year old 1050 TIs for their 20th anniversary sale, they sold out pretty much instantly.

Maybe stick the OS on a M.2

Last edited:
For what it is worth, you can get some good performance out of an old rig, while still stockpiling decent components for when the prices drop again.

My current computer is a sleeper and you wouldn't really notice it from just looking at it, outside of the extra fan hold I cut in the side of the case to pull heat off of the 1080ti.

I am running a HP Elite 8300. Yeah, thats fuckin right... an office space computer haha.

It has an 3770 i7 @ 3.4 Ghz, 32 GB of typical DDR3 memory, 3 SSDs and 2 spindle storage drives and a 1080ti GPU. I added a secondary 800W PSU which is turned on through a secondary stand-off relay board. This secondary unit powers the hard drives and the GPU while the stock 320W power supply takes care of the Mobo and such.

Everything I do is in 4k and most of the games I can play on medium to high graphics. The Processor/mobo is definitely a bottleneck but it works great regardless. My long term goal is to build up some 10th gen intel monster and swap my drives, PSU and GPU over to the build. I think I am in it about $500 since everything was used. The most expensive was the GPU.

Man, you never realize how dusty things are until you take a picture with flash :laughing::rolleyes:

144220971_2064325763874966_7990810868052159918_n.jpg

144099663_726499528291965_8180910826568506701_n.jpg

Go on newegg, grab an off lease dell t5810 or HP 440 with the 6 core 3.5ghz base clock Xeon e5-1650 V3 and 32gb ddr4 for $350ish and slap in whatever videocard you can round up and a decent sized SSD.
They all have 800watt+ power supplies and decent expansion. I'm running 1 with 64GB ram, 1tb SSD, 4TB HDD and 1080ti as oculus/gaming PC hooked to 75" 4k TV and another with 128gb ram, 1080ti 2x1tb SSD, 2x4tb HDD to 2x29" monitors as main PC/virtual machine test bench. Both run flawless and gaming is tits.

I worked directly with both of those models. The t5810 has superior cooling and ducting inside compared to the z440. The z440 has a TPM 2.0 and supports Virtual Based Security though.
If you arent doing bitlocker or something... either would be a good choice though!

Ignore 100% of this.

Do not, do not, do not upgrade on your current platform. AM3 is more than a decade old and you're not going to see any real improvement staying on it. Any remotely modern GPU is going to be a waste of money on that platform as well, you're going to completely bottleneck and choke the performance. You likely can't meet power needs with that board and your current power supply either and that's if a newer card will even work on PCI slots that old.

while I don't disagree with your post, I did say that the current motherboard will bottleneck the GPU but you can still max out the board with a newer cheap GPU, and the CPU up there is about the highest performing one that you could get in ~2011 and maxes out the AM3 socket.

it was more of a "if you max out your current motherboard, it will cost you $400 and perform better than what you've got, but worse than anything more modern" type of post.

while I don't disagree with your post, I did say that the current motherboard will bottleneck the GPU but you can still max out the board with a newer cheap GPU, and the CPU up there is about the highest performing one that you could get in ~2011 and maxes out the AM3 socket.

it was more of a "if you max out your current motherboard, it will cost you $400 and perform better than what you've got, but worse than anything more modern" type of post.

But it wont perform worth a fuck on newer games, its a total waste of money. These newer games are relatively CPU intensive so slapping a faster GPU onto the board even if he maxes out his socket is a total waste of time and money. I run a OC'd i5-2500k which will walk on the AMD for his mobo and I need to upgrade BAD, I am 100% bottlenecked by my CPU while only running 8gb of DDR3 and a 1070SC. I am running on a 55" 4k TCL and routinely run in 4k on games but have to lower settings to achieve that.

But it wont perform worth a fuck on newer games, its a total waste of money. These newer games are relatively CPU intensive so slapping a faster GPU onto the board even if he maxes out his socket is a total waste of time and money. I run a OC'd i5-2500k which will walk on the AMD for his mobo and I need to upgrade BAD, I am 100% bottlenecked by my CPU while only running 8gb of DDR3 and a 1070SC. I am running on a 55" 4k TCL and routinely run in 4k on games but have to lower settings to achieve that.

right, better CPU than what he has and a better GPU than what he has would offer some performance gains. but hey, if the budget is $400 and some gains want to be realized, is it better to take those gains or simply say "nah, 600-1k or nothing". well, depends on the person and the games and all kinds of stuff.

Ignore 100% of this.

GPUBoss is a joke. They're an adfarm site and have worse information than The Verge does. :rolleyes:

If you want to compare parts, use https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

For that budget you're basically looking for used last gen or 2 gen ago parts, but frankly you'd be better off getting a new console. But you could walk into Best Buy or somewhere similar and buy literally any tower off the shelf and be leaps and bounds better off than you are now on a PC that's basically 7+ generations old

If you really want another PC, wait a few months until current gen inventory gets back to normal and pricing normalizes and start looking for last gen parts for cheap.
If you have a Micro Center anywhere near you, go there and tell them what you're looking for and they'll walk you through putting parts together. Their staff is knowledgeable unlike most retail stores.

But right now is a really bad time to build a PC in general. Demand is through the roofs and parts are scarce. Production can't keep up and it's not just big stuff like CPUs and GPUs, but everything from cases to power supplies. Power supplies especially are crazy expensive due to the shortage.

With that budget, this is what I would do:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wY4PcT

$591 ^

At least that AMD chipset will allow you to upgrade to current gen Ryzen later if you want to.
That CPU is probably 4-5 times or more the performance of your current CPU. The on board Vega graphics will let you run modern games at low-med settings with a decent refresh rate and you can save the leftover money for a dedicated GPU. I've seen 1080 Ti used as low as $200 lately. You can get a regular 5700 new for like $400 if you want.

M.2 drive for the OS is going to blow you away with how much faster it is than booting off a mechanical drive. The mechanical drive will give you a ton of storage for games and whatnot.

Not the best gaming PC in the world, but infinitely better than what you have now and it gives you a realistic upgrade path into current hardware later.

I'd also look into getting a decent monitor. You're not outputting 4k on what you've got, and certainly not doing it with this. TVs don't process in real time anyway, most upscale to 4k and have god awful input lag. Nothing you'd notice watching movies, but if you plan on playing anything competitive online at all you're seeing things well after they happen.

Input lag will depend on brand. Good input lag values are below 15ms and many TV's on the market today have input lag around 10ms. My TCL is tested around 11ms input lag, thats as good as the old 21" Acer monitors I used to competitively game on...

Good luck on a GPU. I've got a 3070 on its way. Paid $220 over MSRP for it. The market is absolutely fucking stupid.

right, better CPU than what he has and a better GPU than what he has would offer some performance gains. but hey, if the budget is $400 and some gains want to be realized, is it better to take those gains or simply say "nah, 600-1k or nothing". well, depends on the person and the games and all kinds of stuff.

He's better off saving his money and trying to add to the stash. We're talking 4k gaming here, there will be no perceivable difference in upgrading on his existing platform unless hes dropping something like a 1080ti in there, in which he will still struggle due to the CPU bottleneck. Save some pennies, wait for the big Intel refresh in Q3 2021 and then upgrade to the now defunct 1200 socket. The amount of CPU and VRam usage in these newer games is astounding. I can remember arguing with nerds on [H] years ago that more VRam was going to be the wave of the future, here we are.

I'm literally in the same boat, but am capable of decent 4k performance with my 1070SC which saves me $$$ on my upgrade. I have a 1200 socket upgrade priced at $775 which gets me into a 10850k, new mobo, and 16gb DDR4. Waiting a bit to see what the Rocket Lake release does to the market as well as see if supply picks up eventually. Also not afraid to snag a 3080 IF I see one pop up in stock right now:lmao:

Top Back Refresh