What's new

Skyjacker Radius arms DIY Brackets

welndmn

Well Done Man
Member Number
Loc
Concord, CA
It's been a long time since I've had a RBV again, but a year ago I picked up a 1990 Bronco 2.
It's only got a 2" puck lift on new coil springs on 33's (well some metric size off a new Jeep JL).
The other day I got a Dana 35 from a Ranger and it came with some Skyjacker radius arms, but not the frame brackets or crossmember.

So I thought I'd ask the experts what the best course of action is as.
Buying all the crap from skyjacker (BOO! the cross member is $150 and each radius arm bracket is $100, defeats the purpose of a $700 B2).
Should I shorten the radius arms and try and reuse the stock radius arm brackets and put them in front of the transmission crossmember?
Modify the stock transmission crossmember to hang the stock brackets from it or just make a new radius arm brackets to hang from the factory transmission cross member?
It's not a hard core off roader, it's a leaf looker, I have enough hardcore wheelers.
I mainly wanted the longer radius arms for a nicer highway ride and face it, they look better and why not they are already bolted to the dana 35.

The skyjacker brackets and crossmember are pretty simple, it would be pretty easy to fab something similar yourself. If you want pictures of anything specific, let me know.

Think I can cheat and beef up the current radius arm cross member and mounts and slide it back to make it the new trans crossmember as well?

Think I can cheat and beef up the current radius arm cross member and mounts and slide it back to make it the new trans crossmember as well?
Maybe, it has been 13 years since I last saw my stock radius arm crossmember, but I remember it being pretty chintzy.

Do those radius arms use the stock bushings? If so, they wear out quickly with extended length arms.

The stock mounts won't hold up, make your own. Don't worry about them not lining up with the crossmember, just weld new mounts to the bottom of the frame wherever they land. If not off roading it, they will last forever.

The Superlift arms I had on my TTB Explorer mounts didn't line up with the cross member. The radius arm solid axle swap I replaced that with has Duff arms. The mounts are welded to the frame right behind a bolt in cross member I made for the Atlas. Been there since 2013.

Been a while but I think the stock crossmember is made to sit on the curve of the frame, if you slide it back it will point the bushing mounts down at an aggressive angle.

Leave the trans crossmember alone and put the RA mounts in front of it, the arms will still be plenty long. Build a bunch of caster into it, beams like caster.

I extended a stock set with the following parts and some DOM fairly easily.

Don't forget to put a crossmember between the radius arm mounts. The frame will bend inward fairly easily even with moderate use

Top Back Refresh