What's new

Since its gone --

Chris stopped over last night and we got her hooked back up. Bunch of fuckery to get them back lined up, but we got it. For some reason I could not lift the other cyl up and in, just could not get under it right. We rigged up a rope and Chris pulled from above while I lifted. After that is was just a matter of bleeding the one cyl back to get it to line up, then some pins and yea.

Almost ZERO slop in the swing now. Time to grease her up and take it out and play with it.

It seems that original John Deere cyl shafts are hardened and will break if bent and straightened. Had the same on a 210c leg cyl. Local place re shafted it for like 250 for the shaft and weld the end on it. I use T&H salvage in Pavo Ga for a lot of my used stuff and also new parts

It seems that original John Deere cyl shafts are hardened and will break if bent and straightened. Had the same on a 210c leg cyl. Local place re shafted it for like 250 for the shaft and weld the end on it. I use T&H salvage in Pavo Ga for a lot of my used stuff and also new parts

They are case hardened. I have heard multiple thoughts on straightening. Seems it is 50/50, and since this one would not go back together the way it was bent I took a gamble and lost. Nothing more money can't fix!

Can't leave well enough alone... This was cracked (loader arm) when I got it. I threw a bead on it, and said I would address later, well I guess later is here. Was going over machine and noticed it was cracked again. Started grinding- wow. Gonna fill it and plate it all.

Slowly but surely this old girl is getting a new life. Greased and played with swing a bunch, almost zero free slop, I am amazed at the difference!

Get this welded up, then gonna go run her. Need to address the alternator, as it is not charging. For what I do with it, its not horrible, but would like to fix it.

photo5799.jpg

photo5800.jpg

photo5801.jpg

That's the worst part about working on old iron like that, like working on old fixer upper houses.
You you go in thinking eh new roof, some fresh paint, new carpet, and drapes and this thing'll be in good shape in no time. Well no sooner than the dust begins to settle from the initial get it operable flurry of work, you happen to notice a small crack, no biggie, quick band aid, it'll be fine for now, I'll come back to it'. That little crack turns out to be a big ol'fuckin fugly crack in a primary structural member and you've now got 2/3 of your tools strewn about, and sparks are flying, you can't find the right welding rod that you swore you had, and some asshole has drank all your beer.

Well at least that's my experience anyway.

That's the worst part about working on old iron like that, like working on old fixer upper houses.
You you go in thinking eh new roof, some fresh paint, new carpet, and drapes and this thing'll be in good shape in no time. Well no sooner than the dust begins to settle from the initial get it operable flurry of work, you happen to notice a small crack, no biggie, quick band aid, it'll be fine for now, I'll come back to it'. That little crack turns out to be a big ol'fuckin fugly crack in a primary structural member and you've now got 2/3 of your tools strewn about, and sparks are flying, you can't find the right welding rod that you swore you had, and some asshole has drank all your beer.

Well at least that's my experience anyway.

Sounds about right, maybe add in a trip or two to go get 'your' tools back from those you lent them too.

I tell you what, the day I find that fucker who keeps drinking my beer...

Not the prettiest, but it will do for now. Going to run a gusset, from the main arm and connect to the cross tube. But my stick welder is acting up, keeps wanting to jump between power settings, and was annoying me. My 220v mig I could not grab from my cousins because no one was there to help me load it, and my BIL has my trailer (which he blew out a tire on) - so until then I finished up with the hobart 140, should hold for now, I will burn it in good with the 220v and add more metal shortly.

photo6065.jpg

Can't leave well enough alone... This was cracked (loader arm) when I got it. I threw a bead on it, and said I would address later, well I guess later is here. Was going over machine and noticed it was cracked again. Started grinding- wow. Gonna fill it and plate it all.

Slowly but surely this old girl is getting a new life. Greased and played with swing a bunch, almost zero free slop, I am amazed at the difference!

Get this welded up, then gonna go run her. Need to address the alternator, as it is not charging. For what I do with it, its not horrible, but would like to fix it.
If it will fit, drop in a 3 wire alternator, $50ish on AMazon: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-334-...anufactured/dp/B000C9NN5S/?tag=91812054244-20

Aaron Z

Not the prettiest, but it will do for now. Going to run a gusset, from the main arm and connect to the cross tube. But my stick welder is acting up, keeps wanting to jump between power settings, and was annoying me. My 220v mig I could not grab from my cousins because no one was there to help me load it, and my BIL has my trailer (which he blew out a tire on) - so until then I finished up with the hobart 140, should hold for now, I will burn it in good with the 220v and add more metal shortly.

Please tell me those welds were upside down or something.

on the alternator, get the one wire version. Save yourself a little trouble.

Top Back Refresh