What's new
Aug

Sierra Trek 2023

RunningProblem

Member Number
RunningProblem added a new event:

Sierra Trek 2023

Sierra Trek is a Cal4Wheel event located in California’s beautiful Tahoe National Forest. This family oriented event is geared toward stock 4x4s on guided historic and slightly challenging tours, toward mildly modified vehicles on the Saturday Outer Limits run and off-road enthusiast on the extremely challenging Fordyce Trail.

Read more about this event...

August 10-13, I'm actually available, no wheeling plans yet for August.

I've heard good things about Sierra Trek, but after experiencing the parking lot that is Jeeper's Jamboree last year, I am hesitant to attend another big event.

Those that have gone, would a 4.5 year old enjoy this trip more or less than a random weekend at Fordyce with friends? I hear that running the whole trail in 1 day puts you back at camp pretty late.

Whole day is doable, but I would probably double the time if it’s during Trek. A 5 year old is going to have a loooooooong day.

Kid on Trek sounds brutal to me. I’d do casual weekend first.

Whole day is doable, but I would probably double the time if it’s during Trek. A 5 year old is going to have a loooooooong day.

Kid on Trek sounds brutal to me. I’d do casual weekend first.
I should have clarified, my kid wheels a lot more than the average 4 year old, he's been to Fordyce when it was in the 30s overnight, a couple Rubicon trips, and couple Sand Hollow trips, as well as Slick Rock, Coyote Lake, and Hollister Hills.

If there were a lot of other kids to play with, we might be interested, but I tend to agree, it seems like a LOOONG day for a preschooler (and his mom).

You’re braver than I am. If they get bored you’re screwed.
I didn't mean to derail this thread, but this is IBB, derailing threads is what we're all about.

He's never complained about being bored while we're moving, although he has fallen asleep a lot.

For when we're stopped, we bring a few strategic toys:

Pair of Axial SCX24 R/C Rock Crawlers, both fit in one HF plastic tool box with all the accessories. Two so I can play with him or he can share with another kid.​
Kid's digital camera, it was a gift from his Aunt, but it's been way cooler than expected. He loves taking pics of random stuff, people, rigs, leafs, ect, both from the rig, and from the side of the trail.​
Walkie Talkies, 3 pack, to share with other kids, this may bother other parents, sorry, not sorry.​
He also really enjoys watching our movement on dash mounted ipad running Gaia.​

That being said, he's never really been on a trip where there's a ton of traffic, and we're neither moving or stopped, and we've always planned trips so we're at camp before dinner.

August 10-13, I'm actually available, no wheeling plans yet for August.

I've heard good things about Sierra Trek, but after experiencing the parking lot that is Jeeper's Jamboree last year, I am hesitant to attend another big event.

Those that have gone, would a 4.5 year old enjoy this trip more or less than a random weekend at Fordyce with friends? I hear that running the whole trail in 1 day puts you back at camp pretty late.

Seems like it would make a decent 1st fordyce trip for the bronco. Winches and help already set up and the possability I wouldnt be the biggest trail tampon there.

Im sure Mary wouldnt want to go but I could bring Rowdy. Our kids could ride togeather in the back of whatever to keep themselves occupied

Jeffh555 if I can get my shit together I have a 5.5 year old I could bring along. Maybe they’d occupy each other, or maybe we could be miserable together in the rear. Caution: I’ve little to no experience wheeling and I have one tons.

edit: with this said, and you and your kid having wheeling experience together I’d be cool with a casual weekend trip to Fordyce after the snow melts.

There is another option. Full Trek leaves very early in the am. The Fri and SAT river runs leave from camp at 7 down to committee crossing and a little break and then return leaving plenty of time to goof off

Who all is going? I'm bringing the family. Mainly planning to hang out at the lake and swim and what not.

I won’t be there. Ripped my unibody plating off, and just started fixing it this week.

Fordyce 2
Running problem 0

Won't be there this year either, doing the Modesto Ridge Runners High desert run this year instead. Never done it before so that'll be a cool experience.

Will do. What hill are you working?

Headed up the hill... after a stop for parts
20230809_090530.jpg

okkkkkk, now your comment at camp about irate makes sense. How'd the rest of the run go?
I figured it was you but wasn't sure. I didn't know you had a drone out. Good, we all made it up wh1 easy. A couple of us tried wh3 but got denied. We made it back to camp by 9:30

Bmxbry asked if it was me on here. My real name isn't Dick Skinner like on here and Facebook :flipoff2: Last time we wheeled together was partyin' at KOH 2020 so just catching up.
I assumed if he was looking for a Dick Skinner around the camp fire the comment would have asked if you wore gloves or went bare handed.

Top Back Refresh