What's new

Shop Build

Your work area is nicer than most people's eating areas.
I built a vacuum system at work for dust collection, used 4" PVC and a large bag system.
I have 3 collection points amd caps to plug those not in use while others are in use to maintain higher airflow. It does ok to keep the dust down.

4" is fine if you're running one 4" gate at a time. That's what I used in Hawaii.

If you plan on having two 4" gates open at the same time you'll need a 6" main run to support it.

Here's the way the main living area looked when we bought the place. I didn't like the lighting and ugly builder grade ceiling fans. The fans were too high and too small to provide good airflow. The lights on the right sucked because they'd force you to center the dining table under them. With them hanging down the dining area felt smaller and cramped

There's also a thin slot cut into the wall where the previous owner/builder housed a 5-disc Sony HTIB unit. That used some in-wall speakers, the Sony sub, and some Bose style rear surround speakers on the wall in the back of the room. None of our shit would fit there so that had to be changed.

No idea what's up with the metal shit above the fireplace. The opening up there was originally for decorative stuff. Dude got re-married and the new wife HAD to change it. The metal bullshit was her idea. Bugs me because none of the metal is centered or consistent.

And you haven't ripped the terrible metal over the fireplace down yet? Come on, I thought you had taste :lmao::lmao:

And you haven't ripped the terrible metal over the fireplace down yet? Come on, I thought you had taste :lmao::lmao:

It's on the list of things to do.

I have no idea what to do with that space up there.

I would hang one of those badass 24" subs up there, no wiring needed!

:laughing:

Those fucking things are 145lbs each and that opening is about 9ft up.

I thought about building a big-ass enclosure and putting up there, then thought about how heavy and cumbersome that shit would be on a ladder.

Decided to remove the butcher block top from the mobile cabinet that I built in 2012. Started building a new top that is 1ft longer.

Will give me 6ft of worktop on the mobile cabinet and give me room to add storage to the mobile cabinet. There's a template in place here for a 5" outside radius.
72.jpg

Laminated the top of the mobile cabinet and added T-molding.
76.jpg

77.jpg

Used a steel router lift insert. This keeps the leveling set screws from digging into the wood over time.
79.jpg

73.jpg

Built the main carcass for additional storage for the mobile cabinet and tore things down to get primed.
81.jpg

Decided to make a couple of slide-out pieces. One to hold drills and chargers. The other (not yet built) will hold brad and upholstery nailers.
84.jpg

The slide-out storage for the drills. I added a strip above the chargers to keep the chargers from rotating forward and falling off with a battery on them.
86.jpg

Priming.
87.jpg

More priming.
88.jpg

The legs for the table were raw 2x4s. Decided to cut some 1/2 MDF casing to cover them.
90.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	90.jpg Views:	25 Size:	214.2 KB ID:	32944

The casing template taped together.
91.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	91.jpg Views:	25 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	32945

This is the part I hated. As much as I planned dust collection in the shop, I completely overlooked how I was going to control airflow under the table. The iVac system was the answer, but I ended up at $500 to get functional dust collection at the table and the remote for the rest of the shop.

The iVac system requires 3 outlets for each tool. One for the tool, one for the Pro Tool Plus sensor (clamp on current sensor), and then another outlet for the gate itself.

I also picked up a Woodpeckers PRL V2 router lift and a Porter Cable 892.
92.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	92.jpg Views:	25 Size:	276.6 KB ID:	32946

The 892 mounted in the PRL. I chose this lift because You can raise/lower it with 1/4 turn. I liked this feature because with it being on the outfeed table I can quickly get it out of the way for cuts on the table saw.

I keep a flush trim bit loaded in this lift since cutting depth isn't critical when flush trimming. This allows me to keep a profile bit set at the right depth in the mobile cabinet and the flush trim where I can quickly raise/lower it.
93.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	93.jpg Views:	26 Size:	180.9 KB ID:	32947

94.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	94.jpg Views:	25 Size:	213.3 KB ID:	32948

Last edited:
That laminate really churches up the place. Will you have a fence for either of your routers?

The slide-out storage for the drills. I added a strip above the chargers to keep the chargers from rotating forward and falling off with a battery on them.

It's so dumb these chargers don't have provisions for solid mounting them.

That laminate really churches up the place. Will you have a fence for either of your routers?

It does. The black shows scratches easily, but a little WD-40 wiped over them when I wipe down the table saw and they look nice.

Damb, this is a cool thread! I love the house. I like to think I have a "dream shop", but I can't hold a candle to you. The story with the wife is priceless. Are you doing all this work yourself? Are you retired now? What part of GA are you in?

In any case, I'm glad I clicked and I'll be watching the future. Thanks for sharing.

I completely forgot to respond to the other question.

Since I mostly do template work on the router I don't need a fence often. I had a Kreg fence for the router lift in the mobile cabinet but rarely used it so I removed it from the cabinet for this shop build.

If I need a fence I can make one that fits into the miter track extensions in the outfeed table.

Damb, this is a cool thread! I love the house. I like to think I have a "dream shop", but I can't hold a candle to you. The story with the wife is priceless. Are you doing all this work yourself? Are you retired now? What part of GA are you in?

In any case, I'm glad I clicked and I'll be watching the future. Thanks for sharing.

You know, there's things I like about other shops that I wish I could do here. A dedicated metal working area would be nice. Instead I've got it all in this 27x11 work area.

I'm doing all of the work in this thread myself. Framing, drywall, electrical, everything.

I'm pretty much retired. Wife is still in. She's at 26+ years now.

We're in Augusta.

So jealous of the beautiful shop. You want to come vist the great north woods for maybe a Month or two and make my shop look like that :grinpimp:

I’m pumped for the awesome projects you are gonna work on in there!!!

So jealous of the beautiful shop. You want to come vist the great north woods for maybe a Month or two and make my shop look like that :grinpimp:

I’m pumped for the awesome projects you are gonna work on in there!!!

I've actually got a guy in VA that is willing to pay me to come build his shop.

Where at in Va were you? I just moved from the Hampton roads area to TN. I have 6 more years until I can retire from the Navy.

Sweet looking shop. I don't know if my wife would go for the whole downstairs being a shop. I imagine we'd use the "guest house" as the main house in that situation.

Where at in Va were you? I just moved from the Hampton roads area to TN. I have 6 more years until I can retire from the Navy.

Sweet looking shop. I don't know if my wife would go for the whole downstairs being a shop. I imagine we'd use the "guest house" as the main house in that situation.

Manassas area.

Manassas area.

Damn, never realized you lived so close to me before. Before moving to upstate SC, i used to live in Centreville VA, in the neighborhood right on the bull run with the west fields golf club. Practically neighbors.:flipoff2:

Damn, never realized you lived so close to me before. Before moving to upstate SC, i used to live in Centreville VA, in the neighborhood right on the bull run with the west fields golf club. Practically neighbors.:flipoff2:

I'm in Augusta now.

Practically neighbors. :laughing:

Been staying busy. Busy enough to buy a Shapeoko XXL. It's a CNC router with a 31" x 31" cut area. This should do enough to pay for a bigger CNC in the future.

It was delivered yesterday and I was excited to get it built.

Built the damned thing and realized I hadn't built the table/cabinet for it. :homer:

So for now it'll sit on the floor in the corner while I get some other stuff built and out the door. When (if) there's a pause long enough to let me build the table/cabinet, I'll get that sorted out. Until then I'll run parts with it on the floor if I have to. :laughing:

102.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.6 KB ID:	67473

103.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	103.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.8 KB ID:	67474

104.jpg

Besides the repetitive parts, that should really open up some 3D options. Very nice!

Just wait till you get good with it you will wonder how you lived without it! This will be a game changer for you!

That's the plan.

Just need to find the damned time to spend in Fusion 360.

I already have some parts drawn up for under seat truck boxes. Just need to build a table/cabinet for the thing and go through final setup to get it ready to make money.

That's the plan.

Just need to find the damned time to spend in Fusion 360.

I already have some parts drawn up for under seat truck boxes. Just need to build a table/cabinet for the thing and go through final setup to get it ready to make money.

Have you used 360 much? I am considering getting a crossfire plasma table, and figured i would try it out. My background is ME and i have had quite a bit of experience in ProE, Catia, and solidworks. I still cant get used to/stand not being able to build individual components then combine them in an assembly in 360. Its really f-ing up my work flow and i struggle to get my components to have reference points that make creating drawings easy. Hopefully someone can tell me that i just dont understand how to use 360.

Have you used 360 much? I am considering getting a crossfire plasma table, and figured i would try it out. My background is ME and i have had quite a bit of experience in ProE, Catia, and solidworks. I still cant get used to/stand not being able to build individual components then combine them in an assembly in 360. Its really f-ing up my work flow and i struggle to get my components to have reference points that make creating drawings easy. Hopefully someone can tell me that i just dont understand how to use 360.

I'm teaching myself 360. Last time I used Solidworks (or any CAD program) was 12 years ago.

You're ahead of me. I'm working on drawing individual parts. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh