What's new

Shock hoops

cagcig

Member Number
Loc
Brentwood CA
Do you need to run a piece the length of the span or is pads ok?
IMG_0278.jpeg

Yes, diamonds are better to lessen stress risers in the frame rail....larger is going to spread out the force more over more of the frame. Unless weight is a major concern, I'd go for bulletproof and err on the side of more rather than less.

What thickness? 1/8 3/16?
Again, I'm an overkill guy....and unless weight's an issue....I'd go heavier. Your frame is likely at most 1/8"...so 1/8" is a good match, but I'd still probably go 3/16" or possibly even 1/4.

The hoops are only.120 wall dom. I’ll have to get some 3/16 plate. Thanks for the advice

The hoops are only.120 wall dom. I’ll have to get some 3/16 plate. Thanks for the advice
That's a pretty typical wall thickness for tubing....again, the 1/8" would be a good match, but I'd personally go a little heavier. That doens't mean 1/8" plate wouldnt' work. If you have it on hand...go that route...just maybe make the plates a bit larger to spread the force over more area.

I was nervous about this and ended up putting some 2” .250 link scrap through the frame and welded both side. Driver is a little more of a pain with the panhard bracket. The passenger side pretty straight forward.

Take or leave.

Attachments

• IMG_5086.jpeg
    IMG_5086.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
Brace the tube if you can by running a gusset or another piece of tube from the shock mount - as high up as you can - down to the inner edge of the top of the frame. That way you're triangulating it a bit at the base. Probably fine since you're tying the the tops together with a crossmember, but the overkill side of my brain says it'd be worth it

edit: was looking at the last post with my comment about tying the tops together with a crossmember. Diamonds are better than squares, and I'd vote that pads are just fine as opposed to having to have one big plate

this is how i would do it. red is the shapes and the green is a hole that you plug weld to the from in the center of the tube.

as mentioned there needs to be some sort of support in an additional plane or they will fail eventually taking the frame with them. fairly common in the old toyota mini truck sas days.

1711119684130.png

plug weld like this
1711119859382.png

Plan is this. Plate frame, gussets on tube to hoop. Plate on top of hoop with another plate on the inside sandwiching the inner fender with a tube to the bar on the cage. Sound like a plan or go die in a fire.
IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0280.jpeg
IMG_0280.jpeg

Top Back Refresh