What's new

Sherpa winch?

jawzjeep

Blah blah blah yeah whatever
Member Number
Loc
Washington State
I'm curious if anybody has any experience with one of these Sherpa winches?

I was looking in the 10k or 12k range. I saw the youtube video showing one running under water then pulled apart. A couple mentions in a few forums but not much. Seems like some decent parts in it though.

This is for a square body suburban on 37s with a 454 and dana 60 on the way and it'll spend a decent amount of its time loaded with an extra 1000lbs. Terrain will be the great north wet. No tight trails or rock crawling. Thanks

Screenshot_20220102-185804.png

Have the 10000lbs fast winch on a 1984 K30 . I like it. Faster than my china winches by a lot. Have not had truck stuck to need it. Have pulled some trees around with it.

Is that the dual motor version? Im not in need of a fast winch necessarily. First reaction was to go to a Warn, but at that pricepoint it made me do a double take. Thanks

Only one motor , I just got it because the china are so slow. And it is different .

The only thing i see about them thats difference in hp and reduction.

Typical horizontal winches run 4-6hp and 200-250:1 hense the low recovery speed and meduim amp draw.

That sherpa is 8.9hp (advertised) and a very fast 105:1 ratio. Comes with pretty high @ rated switch so would expect it to have a pretty high draw similar to a 8274. 650-800@.

Make sure you have a large cable set, high rated alt and wire and dual batteies would be a good idea.

The only thing i see about them thats difference in hp and reduction.

Typical horizontal winches run 4-6hp and 200-250:1 hense the low recovery speed and meduim amp draw.

That sherpa is 8.9hp (advertised) and a very fast 105:1 ratio. Comes with pretty high @ rated switch so would expect it to have a pretty high draw similar to a 8274. 650-800@.

Make sure you have a large cable set, high rated alt and wire and dual batteies would be a good idea.
Good advice, thanks.
Read somewhere they draw lower amps than others, but can't remember where. Off to search some more

I didnt scroll down far enough when i was looking at their page.

330@ with that motor and gear ratio doesnt seem right. Maybe they really do have something different about their motors. If they do thats pretty cool.
Screenshot_20220102-211319_Chrome.jpg

Ha! Same here. Come back to give the results but you beat me too it.

Read it has more copper on the windings. But won't confirm or deny since I can't find my source.

Could be the same concept as rc car elec motors.

The mod motors count wires and wrap per.

A 14/3 motor would be a medium motor.
A 11/1 would be fast and launch hard, lift the wheels and break shit.

Take a elec motor and change the windings and poles and it could give you a completely different animal. It would be hard to believe that concept would be completely over looked by the winch industry for 50 years.

I know what you mean about the rc cars, I've got a few myself.

Well until I find what i read before I'm S.O.L. so I need to find that. Or get one in my hands. When I find it I'll post it.

I know people mod winches. I've never looked into whats done but I could make some pretty good guesses. Windings, more magnets, stronger ones, all that stuff could be played with I'm sure.

Youre probably right about the industry overlooking comment. Appreciate the pointers.

I should have weighted it before mounting. It is heavier than the china 12000lbs it replaced.

Take a elec motor and change the windings and poles and it could give you a completely different animal. It would be hard to believe that concept would be completely over looked by the winch industry for 50 years.

There's duty cycle and longevity tradeoffs.

There's duty cycle and longevity tradeoffs.

Yep. Hot RC motors burn through brushes and comms really fast, and are overall more expensive.

Yup. At this point it would be safe to say that if it worked/was the case it would have been done by everyone by now.

Yes and no... The recreational 4x4 industry is still far behind in many areas. I don't know of any winch companies who make their own motors - they buy them from a motor manufacturer just like everyone else. Remember how it took us decades to begin to adopt synthetic rope? That stuff has been used in commercial shipping and sailing for 40+ years now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

Theres always a trade off. Performance comes at a price. Race engines get rebuilt often. Soft tires grip better but dont last as long. Soft springs wear quicker. Just matters whats important I guess. Im not racing so slow and steady will work for me.

Thanks for the input.

Theres always a trade off. Performance comes at a price. Race engines get rebuilt often. Soft tires grip better but dont last as long. Soft springs wear quicker. Just matters whats important I guess. Im not racing so slow and steady will work for me.

Exactly.

It's the old adage of "Cheap, Fast, Reliable - You can only pick two."

I'm confident that I could put together a program to produce a winch that would blow everything else out of the water. Badass brushless motor, CNC forged planetary gearsets with a sealed oil filled gearbox, electronic shifted variable gear reduction, CNC case, awesome programing for soft starts and variable speeds and many other features, and more. This is nothing new in the robotics industry (and on a much smaller/simpler scale, the RC industry). It would literally be a combination of off-the-shelf parts. BUT... Nobody, and I say again nobody, would pay the $10k+ that such a winch would cost.

Or maybe I could build a similar winch at a $2k pricepoint but with a bunch of cheap Chinese off brand components. It might work 90% as well, but it also might only work twice before it burns out.

Or... Like practically all winch makers do, use a known set of components to produce a winch that gets the job done and runs for 2-3 years at a $500-700 pricepoint (China stuff) or 5-10 years at a $1000-1500 pricepoint (USA/other good stuff).

I wonder why I haven't seen any brushless motors in the industry yet? Admittedly im not looking for them. Its just a matter of time before some of those things you mentioned become common place. Just like nicd to nimh to lipo. What used to be exotic becomes the standard.

Wasn’t there a guy on the old board from Australia who built a comp spec winch that was fast, durable and mounted inside the cab of his Toyota?
I never saw or read about it myself I dont think. But I'm sure somebody will speak up if they remember. We mod everything so it wouldn't surprise me.

Wait, was that the guy who ran it through to the front or the back whichever way he needed to go? Or something like that?

$999 for 12k or $1049 for 17k. That just made things a little harder.

The numbers posted by total newb are for the 10k. Here is the Colt 12k and Steed 17k numbers also. The one I posted is the Colt.

12k winch amp ratings-
230 @ 6000lbs
320 @ 9000lbs
430 @12,000lbs

17k winch amp ratings-
280 @ 9000lbs
375 @12,000lbs
425 @ 17,000lbs

It looks like pulling at 12k draws a lot less amps in the 17k winch. Fyi These are 12 volt ratings not 24 volt. Just putting this info here for a quick comparison. 17k Steed is looking better in my book. Hmm.

$999 for 12k or $1049 for 17k. That just made things a little harder.

The numbers posted by total newb are for the 10k. Here is the Colt 12k and Steed 17k numbers also. The one I posted is the Colt.

12k winch amp ratings-
230 @ 6000lbs
320 @ 9000lbs
430 @12,000lbs

17k winch amp ratings-
280 @ 9000lbs
375 @12,000lbs
425 @ 17,000lbs

It looks like pulling at 12k draws a lot less amps in the 17k winch. Fyi These are 12 volt ratings not 24 volt. Just putting this info here for a quick comparison. 17k Steed is looking better in my book. Hmm.
The Steed is drawing less amps @12k because it's geared deeper than the Colt. 246:1 vs 205:1 It's also gonna be slower.

Deeper gear ratio = less load on the motor = less amp draw @equal loads

Jim Marsden and Giggle Pin winches is who you guys are thinking about...

I figured I should close this out.

After a lot more research I found quite a few unhappy customers with Sherpa winches. Mostly from Australians who claim its a rebranded winch. And many others who claimed to have major issues with a warranty claim or pre-existing damage that wasnt resolved. For those reasons I chose to buy a Warn 12k instead. Simply put I just can't beat the warranty.

I appreciate any and all advice I received.

I was just trying to find info about Sherpa.

Was trying to wade through AUS forums. The biggest complaint I found was Sherpa was supposedly refusing warranty claims if the winch had any water damage.

Haven't found too many actual users with complaints about Sherpa. Most of the users seem pretty positive. Imagine that... "what I bought is the best ever"

Anyone on here try one yet? The price seems too good to be true. Used Warn M15 or Sherpa 17k...?

Top Back Refresh