What's new

Sherpa Box Air - Unboxing Review

[memphis]

Web wheeler
Member Number
More to come when I sit down at my desktop. So far, out of box impression I am not impressed and doubt the longevity of the product.

Takes about 1:05 to pressurize from 0 to 150psi. The pressure switch is apparently 120/150 but I haven’t done a CFM calculation (I will)

Hose, fittings and tire gauge leak out of the box despite excessive teflon tape.

One of the air filter caps has fallen off twice in the first several minutes of operation testing.

I will bring these issues to Sherpa’s attention but I doubt they will do anything. I waited almost 8 weeks for this unit and I was told “it is worth the wait” rather than cancelling my order.

This was shipped from Australia but it’s a Chinese knock off of the ARB through and through.

I do like the idea of the case, I like the latch system. The unit is 35 lbs.

The drain on the tank is a great idea but it is a steel tank. I don’t think ARB offers that?

Tank came with exterior rust from the factory… makes me question the internals…

Tire fill time for one tire was reasonable but it’s only a 245/75r16 so I need a real tire to compare.

Interested to see what Sherpa’s response is but I’m not an influencer on YouTube so I doubt I’ll gain anything other than a “sorry, Chiner quality control”

I’ll keep you guys posted as there aren’t any reviews out there.

I took some videos but too large to upload here. May stick them on YouTube later

Attachments

• IMG_4060.jpeg
    IMG_4060.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4061.jpeg
    IMG_4061.jpeg
    997.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4067.jpeg
    IMG_4067.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
How much did it cost?
$700 CAD + duty from DHL which was around $95?

The ARB equivalent is $1350 CAD.
I knew corners would be cut so I’m not pissed, just disappointed.

I didn’t want to commit to a fixed mount system between my project Jeep and temporary TJ rubicon and thought if I liked it enough to hard mount I would remove the components from the box in the future. At this stage I will likely keep ARB systems virgin and use their basic locker pump and use this for filling tires

I have a Sherpa compressor, it is yellow, and just has a bag for transport.Other than do not touch while/after using, it is fast .

I have a Sherpa compressor, it is yellow, and just has a bag for transport.Other than do not touch while/after using, it is fast .
One of the reasons I wanted the box so I didn’t have to worry so much about a hot ass compressor. The box also helps prevent it from banging around but some pieces already fell off without any direct impact 😆

It seems that ARB has changed their design AGAIN! I think this is the fourth revision now? I see differences on the end of the tank, the hose disconnect appears to be different as well. I still do not see a tank drain on their unit. I copy pasta the last generation below. I know I am derailing my own thread a bit here but this is the original competing product.

1693784601660.png

1693784721562.png

What CFM numbers do they claim? That seems like a horrible price for a portable compressor.

What CFM numbers do they claim? That seems like a horrible price for a portable compressor.
The ARB is stated at 6.16 cfm at 0 psi
The Sherpa Box Air is claimed to be 4.6cfm at 0 psi

BUT I don’t know if that’s the old Sherpa numbers before they changed the compressor… this is a new unit from them. I’ll check the CFM when I have time on my unit

Last edited:
More flow doesn't mean shit if you're putting it through a Schrader valve. All it does is heat the fuck out of the compressor and kill it faster.

Tyler at Morrflate has done tons of testing and it all comes back to the Schrader valve.

That's why the dual and 4 tire systems work so well. They take the high pressure low flow load off the compressor.

I've been running an ARB single for 2 years with a dual homemade inflator. Takes 8-10 min a side to fill 40s from 6 to 25 psi. After a day of wheeling I welcome getting out and stretching my legs for 20 min.

The air tank is kinda useless when filling tires Because you don't need high pressure. The lower the pressure the higher the flow anyhow.

More flow doesn't mean shit if you're putting it through a Schrader valve. All it does is heat the fuck out of the compressor and kill it faster.

Tyler at Morrflate has done tons of testing and it all comes back to the Schrader valve.

That's why the dual and 4 tire systems work so well. They take the high pressure low flow load off the compressor.

I've been running an ARB single for 2 years with a dual homemade inflator. Takes 8-10 min a side to fill 40s from 6 to 25 psi. After a day of wheeling I welcome getting out and stretching my legs for 20 min.

The air tank is kinda useless when filling tires Because you don't need high pressure. The lower the pressure the higher the flow anyhow.
Sounds about right, I have a 4 tire filler with an old Puma, and it will do 37's from 8 to 25 PSI in 15-18 mins.

I did read the Morrflate and tested mine and basically proved what they claimed, but was too cheap to get rid of my Puma. even a beat older compressor puts out more than the schrader can flow. I run no tank just a pressure relief pop off at 120 psi. head temps on my compressor max at about 200*

That was why I asked about ratings, the Pumas are not as cheap as they used to be but they are not $700

What about bead seating?

Top Back Refresh