What's new

Share your homemade pizza recipes

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title kind of states it. Anyone have a good crust or red sauce recipe?

Last time I did one, the crust and sauce recipes I had weren't great.

When the kids were little we just got the prefab pizza stuff. Sauce, dough in a can (Pillsbury?), and assorted meats and cheese. We have a couple of the pizza pans with holes in them. Everyone built their own and cooked it on the bbq. The youngest (now almost 20) was talking about homemade pizza just the other day :homer:

As far as crust, before you make anything, roast off 4 or 5 bulbs of garlic and save the oil. Use the roast garlic oil instead of regular olive oil and add a bunch of the crushed up roasted garlic into the dough. Makes it really nice. You can also cold ferment the dough to add some really good flavor.

This is one that I've tried:

It did not look as nice as in the video but still pretty good:
UhwRGel.jpg

Looks like everyone has the same basic recipe for dough, the difference being the hydration level and some details like oregano, oil etc. Mine usually end up still sticky after kneading, so very moist.

Dough is forgiving, experiment with water level, each flour has its own "requirements", experiment with flour types and with the rising time.

I have a large tile in my gas oven to keep it hot and when preparing for the pizza, I just turn it to full blast and leave it like that. It's usually around 480-490F

For sauce, I like to boil either tomato juice or canned tomatoes, with some oregano and salt, until it thickens and then just lather it on the dough before anything else.

I've done from scratch pizza's on the pellet grill and they turn out awesome. Honestly though one of my favorite super easy go to is (laugh all you want) Chef Boyardee in a cast iron skillet on the grill. Fry up your meats, when done transfer to a bowl and half ass wipe the grease out. then put the crust in, add any other store bought or homemade sauce as long as it isn't what comes in the kit and put it on the grill 50 degrees less than instructions and bake till done. The grease left in the skillet almost fries the dough. For a shitty pizza kit it comes out awesome.

I also have a deep dish recipe that comes out pretty decent. I haven't mastered the dough yet though. I like to do them on the grill but sometimes they come out way too tough. I think it's my kneading that's that the issue...gotta keep practicing

Peter Reinhart's recipe is my goto.

Let it ferment/rest at least overnight in the fridge and then bring it back to room temp before using - I generally ball it up, oil it and put in a closed pyrex dish or similar. If you have doubts about your yeast, proof it first. I have found that cooking in cast iron is superior to a pizza stone because typical residential ovens cannot get hot enough; 550* is about all they can muster. Professional pizza parlors using electric, gas, or wood fired ovens are hot AF and there is a reason for that. A trick/crutch at home is to pre-cook the dough a bit ahead of toppings to get some "crust" on your crust going first. Experimenting on how to best cook your crusts with your own implements might help - sometimes mine turn out amazing and sometimes it's a WTF moment when I did everything identical as last time. Moisture, yeast health/viability, flour type, rise/rest times, etc can all play in to the mix.

Also, if you are feeling really adventurous - making homemade mozzarella can be a hoot. I find I get it right about 1 in 5. Sometimes it's about the journey, and not the destination (read: have store bought mozzarella on hand).

I have used this one:

But pioneer woman has this - she usually does pretty a good job so I may attempt this soon.

My daughter loves homemade pizza night as we work it all together. A big glass of red wine for me and we start getting to it. Never had a bad one yet and the toppings are fun to chose. Cracking an egg on top of a normal pizza and letting it fry sunnyside up in the oven is better than you would expect (learned that one in GER)

Last edited:
The better half tried making nan bread thats really garlic and buttery. I use that recipe for a doughy pizza crust. Then I make Alfredo sauce from scratch. Brown up some chicken, through on some sautéed pork belly and some caramelized onions... top moderately heavy with a layer of mozzarella parm blend. Best damn chicken Alfredo pizza you can get.

1 dutch oven
dough of your choose
pre cook meats and mush rooms.
drain off liquid.
put dough into dutch oven.
sause on top.
add your fixings
top with moz cheese
flaked parm cheese sprinkled on top.
cook 400 degrees 20 mins.

enjoy.

I do a stuffed pizza. Let the dough rise for a couple hours before making. For the sauce I start with classico traditional pizza sauce and add stewed tomatos and a couple tablespoons of brown sugar. I let this simmer for about 40 min to thicken it up. once the sauce is on the sovetop simmering preheat the oven to 300. I use a deep dish stone and line it with a layer of dough. Add chesse and any toppings then cover with a second layer of dough. Throw that in the oven for 20 min then remove and let cool for a min and top it off with the sauce and italian spices. Throw it back in the oven for another 40 min or so. If you are using any high moisture toppings, roast them first to remove the exess water from them. Searve with extra sauce on the side to dip the outer crust into or serve with honey.
IMG_4365.jpeg

I let my dough ferment in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days. Makes for a really good flavor. I will have to try the roasted garlic oil.

I like Peter Reinhart's dough recipe, after reading it mentioned above. I still want to play with adding slight flavoring to it (eg. garlic, oregano, etc.).

My previous choice (and I still like the sauce from it) came from America's Test Kitchen, but they need a registration to view it.
Found a link to a copy of it here: America's Test Kitchen Thin-Crust Pizza Recipe - Food.com

AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN THIN-CRUST PIZZA​

INGREDIENTS​

UNITS: US
  • 16 1⁄2ounces approx 3 . 9 cups bread flour, plus more for work surface
  • 2teaspoons sugar
  • 1⁄2teaspoon fast rising yeast
  • 1 1⁄3cups ice water
  • 1tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for work surface
  • 1 1⁄2teaspoons salt
  • 1(28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, drained and liquid discarded
  • 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • 2garlic cloves, minced
  • 1teaspoon salt
  • 1teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1⁄4teaspoon black pepper
  • 1ounce parmesan cheese, finely grated
  • 8ounces whole milk mozzarella, shredded
  • DIRECTIONS​

• In food processor fitted with metal blade, process flour, sugar and yeast until combined, about 2 seconds. With machine running, slowly add water through feed tube; process until dough is just combined and no dry flour remains, about 10 seconds. Let dough stand for 10 minutes.
    • Add oil and salt to dough and process until dough forms a satiny, sticky ball that clears sides of workbowl, 30-60 seconds. Remove dough and knead briefly on lightly oiled countertop until smooth, about 1 minutes. Shape dough into tight ball and place in large lightly oiled bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 3 days.
    • Process tomatoes, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, oregano and pepper in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer to medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
    • One hour before baking pizza, adjust rack in oven to second highest position, about 4-5 inches below broiler. Set pizza stone on rack and heat oven to 500 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator and divide in half. Shape each half into smooth, tight ball. Place on lightly oiled baking sheet, spacing them at least 3" apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap coated with non-stick spray; let stand for 1 hour.
    • Coat 1 ball of dough generously with flour and place on well floured countertop. Using fingers gently flatten into 8" disk, leaving 1" of outer edge slightly thicker than center. Using hands, gently stretch dough disk into 12" round, working along edges and giving disk quarter turns as you stretch. Transfer dough to a well floured peel and stretch into 13" round. Using back of spoon or ladle, spread 1/2 c tomato sauce in a thin layer over the surface of dough, leaving 1/4" border around edge. Sprinkle 1/4 c Parmesan evenly over sauce, followed by 1 c mozzarella. Slide pizza carefully onto stone and bake until crust is well browned and cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown, 10-12 minutes, rotating pizza halfway through. Remove pizza and place on wire rack for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Repeat this with second ball of dough.

Reactions: IGT
1 cheap frozen pizza
Sprinkle bolners fiesta enchilada seasoning
Top with extra shredded cheese

Place in cold oven. Set oven to 400*, set timer for 25 minutes and enjoy :flipoff2:

Get our pre-made pizza dough @ AJ's pia in Woodland Park. And what ever I'm in mood for as far as toppings go. short quick bake on dough. then back in with topping of Choice..

local wood fired pizza joint makes a "smokehouse" pizza. sliced brisket, roasted pork, bbq sauce and mozzarella cheese on their homemade crust.. :smokin:

Wife made her version last weekend with some leftover pulled pork. KC Masterpiece bbq sauce and shredded mozz. :grinpimp:

I like high end crust but am not willing to take the time to make it myself. What I found is that some of the fancy non-chain pizza places around where I am will sell you a dough ball.

When I want to make a pizza on the traeger, I just get a dough ball from the local place, expensive canned sauce from the grocery store, real mozzarella balls, and some basil.

The better half tried making nan bread thats really garlic and buttery. I use that recipe for a doughy pizza crust. Then I make Alfredo sauce from scratch. Brown up some chicken, through on some sautéed pork belly and some caramelized onions... top moderately heavy with a layer of mozzarella parm blend. Best damn chicken Alfredo pizza you can get.
Needs more bacon.

Easiest quick dough is Fage yogurt and self rising flower mixed 1:1 then pellet smoker stone to about 700 and rotate 180 once 40 secs in simple and great and easy,

I'm a fan of the Naan bread pizza, cheap and quick, But I'm picky about the ratios of sauce toppings and cheese. Pizza should be easy to eat with one hand, crust needs structure, guy I know likes to give special instructions "extra saawse bake it crispy" ends up a soggy burnt sloppy mess.

Momma makes some with duck confit and caramelized onions.

Will post the recipe when I can, and some pics on Sunday when she makes it.

No pics yet, but momma gave me the gist of it.

Pizza gets:

tomato sauce,
50/50 smoked gouda/mozzarella
Onions caramelized in balsamic vinegar
mushrooms
duck confit.

Should have pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
Smoke a chicken. Take one of the breasts and throw it in the fridge. Enjoy the rest of the chicken for dinner.

The next night make some pizza dough. 1 cup bread flour, 1 cup AP flour, olive oil, garlic powder, italian seasoning, a little sugar, a little salt, yeast and your favorite beer (about 3/4 cup). Throw that shit in your stand mixer or mix by hand. Let rise in a lightly oiled bowl covered with a damp towel for one hour.

Get the following ingredients ready.

Your favorite ranch dressing
Your chicken breast from last night cubed up
some cooked bacon (1/3 lb)
some cheese (pick your favorite) I use fresh mozzarella and fresh grated Parmesan
cornmeal

Spread your dough out to match the size of your cooking vessel. I use a stone 13X9 pan. Throw said pan in the oven at 450 to warm it up.

Next step you move quick. Pull pan out of oven, dust with corn meal, add dough, add ranch dressing and sprinkle the rest of the toppings on.

Throw that fucker back in the oven for ~15 minutes.

Bam. Smoked chicken bacon ranch pizza.

Top Back Refresh