What's new

Severe storm damage in Iowa this week

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
On Monday a large part of East central Iowa had a storm with sustained winds over 100 mph. It was comparable to a level 2 Hurricane. The amount of destruction was massive. The electrical utility companies are saying they hope to have all power restored to customers by mid next week, but most electrical contractors are backlogged 2 weeks to reconnect houses and businesses. Millions of acres of crops were destroyed. Thousands of houses and businesses were destroyed. People from the Cedar Rapids area were driving an hour or more to find stores open or with power to get gas and essentials. I’m honestly surprised this isn’t getting more national news coverage.

I heard about it on the Sirius radio, last I heard was that they figured 18 to 20 percent of this years corn crop got wasted. That ain't no joke.

s780_storm.jpg

s780_EfFm_XsXsAIdiKV.jpg

s780_EfGwZLYWAAI_uaP.jpg

s1200_EfGA807WoAM5Quc.jpg

s780_flat.jpg

Holy shit!:eek: They aren’t gonna be cutting that corn. That just flat sucks for already under appreciated farmers.

You're out near buenie/gutterburg right? Yall receive much damage?

most of my projects fared well, can't say the same for some of the towns they were in...

Holy shit!:eek: They aren’t gonna be cutting that corn. That just flat sucks for already under appreciated farmers.

I don't know a lot about making silage. But that still may be in the realm of possibility. But still, what a waste.

My mom lives in Peoria but said the storm didnt hit them real hard. I had no idea it pummeled Iowa so hard.

I don't know a lot about making silage. But that still may be in the realm of possibility. But still, what a waste.

There’s no good way to pick it up when it’s that flat. Even for silage.

You're out near buenie/gutterburg right? Yall receive much damage?

most of my projects fared well, can't say the same for some of the towns they were in...

Yep. We’re about an hour north of the damage so we are fine. Our main office is in the Cedar Rapids area and they had a lot of damage and have been busy helping everyone. We did lose cell service for two days and internet. But that’s minor.

Funny thing, no reports of looting or rioting even though power has been out for almost a week....

Hope they got insurance and plow that shit under, not much else to do.

That storm was crazy! Fucked up a bunch of shit here and areas still dont have power an hour west of Chicago where I'm at.

An estimated 10 MILLION acres of corn and soybeans are destroyed - yielding a potential of 3 BILLION dollars in lost profits.

SOME of it will be salvageable, given the extent of the damage compared to the prior crop condition. Also, depending on if you own very specific ($$) implements that can help you bring the ears off the ground. It is going to be a lot of work for those farmers to see what is worth even attempting to save... not even thinking about what other weather possibilities there are.

Envision this. That is an area 125 miles by 125 miles of crop, gone. And 40 square miles covered it with $1 bills, gone

Webster county had some power outages but no real damage like those pictures.

wait, where the fuck are you? Im by Dyersville and we just got rain, almost no wind

Well, currently.... occupy space in pella...my office is in Clive, my projects range from indianola, redrock area, metro, Marshalltown, Waverly.

but grew up in dbq, lived a couple of years in calmar & decorah. A side of my family is from dyersville.

p4x4 is how/ when I knew he was living in the gutter of iowa

Yep. We’re about an hour north of the damage so we are fine. Our main office is in the Cedar Rapids area and they had a lot of damage and have been busy helping everyone. We did lose cell service for two days and internet. But that’s minor.

Good to hear. Sucks for the office. Storm rolled in out here like someone owed it money. Seems like sat-Tuesday power will br up for everyone between mid-am & alliant.... who aren't on for you currently

Top Back Refresh