What's new

Service trailer brake system

Haggard-Beard

Fuckface
Member Number
I have fought with my 2008 3500 trailer brake system ever since I bought it. I’ve replaced the trailer brake control relay? 3 times now. Last one was OEM, and it’s gone bad again. Is there an updated one that won’t shit the bed? Is there something else I should look for? Or should I just wire in an aftermarket brake system?

Last edited:
Put a load (like a headlight) bulb on the trailer brake wiring at the trailer and have someone hit the brake controller manual lever while you wiggle the plug, seems a common theme that the truck or trailer side plug gets a little loose and then it thinks that it had disconnected the trailer:

Might also check the brake wiring and make sure it's not shorted out per this thread:

Aaron Z

Friend kept getting that message and ended up finding that GM recommends a specific brand trailer connector plug, swapped his and cured it.
I did look into that, the trailer already has the better plug
Put a load (like a headlight) bulb on the trailer brake wiring at the trailer and have someone hit the brake controller manual lever while you wiggle the plug, seems a common theme that the truck or trailer side plug gets a little loose and then it thinks that it had disconnected the trailer:

Might also check the brake wiring and make sure it's not shorted out per this thread:

Aaron Z

I’ll have to check that out. I’m starting to think it’s in the wiring.

Top Back Refresh