What's new

Semi float 14 traction aids

Soule88

Member Number
Loc
Central Illinois
I know I'm probably going to catch a bunch of shit for this, but posting on behalf of a buddy.
He's building a street truck, twin turbo LS toy.
Has a 14 bolt semi float axle already. Open carrier.
So far I've ran across the Eaton tru track, and the detroit locker. Is that it? He'd really prefer a spool. Id really prefer he just order a 9" from somewhere and be done.

Is there a lunchbox? The carrier on these isn't tiny, and the shafts are 33 spline.

Edit: Im sitting on a 9" too... slippery slope. Every upgrade begets another. Then you're left with a rusty housing you wonder why you built around in the first place.

Last edited:
I had a tru trac in my 9.5 and loved it. Great on road around town and always locked up when I needed it 10/10

Weld it

They make a lock-right for it. I put one in my 97, 35s, manual trans, and 4.88s. A year of highway commuting, occasional towing, some use in the mud, and it's noisy and sloppy and wouldn't pull itself up a hill in the yard the other day...kept banging and slipping, so i'm assuming it's blown apart. I'm putting the stock spiders back in this weekend and welding it.

There's also the Yukon Dura-Grip, but I don't know if that's really a better option than any of the others already mentioned.

They make a lock-right for it. I put one in my 97, 35s, manual trans, and 4.88s. A year of highway commuting, occasional towing, some use in the mud, and it's noisy and sloppy and wouldn't pull itself up a hill in the yard the other day...kept banging and slipping, so i'm assuming it's blown apart. I'm putting the stock spiders back in this weekend and welding it.

Maybe lunchboxes don't fare as well in c-clip diffs.

Doing fine with lockrights here in 5spd Cummins trucks. One is a D60 rear (I swapped it in.)

Maybe lunchboxes don't fare as well in c-clip diffs.

Doing fine with lockrights here in 5spd Cummins trucks. One is a D60 rear (I swapped it in.)
forgive my dumbness but why would it hold up better in a full float?

I'm still planning to put a lockright in my 14b when it gets swapped in

Zero reason.

It's fudd lore from generations of idiots swapping luncbox lockers into their chevy 10b and then getting farther into the mud hole than the week before before snapping an axle shaft and losing the wheel/tire in the ensuing recovery.

I'm still planning to put a lockright in my 14b when it gets swapped in
I'm thinking end-play on the shafts... speculating that a c-clip isnt super positive location and makes for more slopping around.

If you do that, get the version that replaces the side gears.

So, you can get a spool for semi float 14’s…
8E6847B4-BA17-42DC-9D69-0663EE4D551D.jpeg

Top Back Refresh