What's new

Selling a truck on consignment... who's done it?

DRTDEVL

Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Austin... TX? Nope. Minnesota!
I have a 1994 K3500 CC/LB Dually with the 454 that I have been trying to sell for over 3 months now. I started at $4800 OBO, and slowly dropped to $4300... and crickets. Only a few e-tire kickers and lowballers, nobody even bothered to show up and look at the thing.

I inquired on a local FB page about dealers willing to sell on consignment, and a brand new place was recommended numerous times so I inquired with them. 5% or $500, whichever is greater, that was the fee... so I said go for it.

They put it on the lot on the 23rd for $4950. I got the call this afternoon that it sold for $4250, so my cut is $3750.

Not bad... I might just go this route in the future, as dealing with all the mouth-breathers on FB and CL has driven me nuts lately. Instead, drop it off, sign an agreement, and walk away close to my bottom dollar (missed the mark by $50) as my cut without any hassle of dealing with the general public? Works for me.

I'll be picking up my check tomorrow morning. :flipoff2:

I have a 1994 K3500 CC/LB Dually with the 454 that I have been trying to sell for over 3 months now. I started at $4800 OBO, and slowly dropped to $4300... and crickets. Only a few e-tire kickers and lowballers, nobody even bothered to show up and look at the thing.

I inquired on a local FB page about dealers willing to sell on consignment, and a brand new place was recommended numerous times so I inquired with them. 5% or $500, whichever is greater, that was the fee... so I said go for it.

They put it on the lot on the 23rd for $4950. I got the call this afternoon that it sold for $4250, so my cut is $3750.

Not bad... I might just go this route in the future, as dealing with all the mouth-breathers on FB and CL has driven me nuts lately. Instead, drop it off, sign an agreement, and walk away close to my bottom dollar (missed the mark by $50) as my cut without any hassle of dealing with the general public? Works for me.

I'll be picking up my check tomorrow morning. :flipoff2:

Did you have an agreed upon bottom dollar? Did they call you to negotiate with the buyer?

We sold a car a few yrs ago on consignment. They got 10% and called us to negotiate the price. Was a lot less hassle. Totally worth it

I’m confused...

you were not happy with the lower prices and decided to take a lower number because It’s consignment ?

Last edited:
Did you have to give them your “bottom dollar” and what says that they don’t instantly go straight to it without even trying? Was $3750 your bottom?

They have nothing to gain for a vehicle under 5k, so drop to bottom instantly and dump it.

Did it once. Not sure if I was happy with the result or not. I think in 07 I sold an 05 ram 2500 X- cab short bed 5.7 hemi 4x4. Was trying to do a fix n flip without putting the pos in my name for the purpose of tax evasion. The lot wouldn’t take it if it wasn’t in my name. Was trying to get $14K for it. They sold it for $12K I think, not enough profit for the work involved.

Did you have an agreed upon bottom dollar? Did they call you to negotiate with the buyer?

We sold a car a few yrs ago on consignment. They got 10% and called us to negotiate the price. Was a lot less hassle. Totally worth it

Agreed was $4k total sale. My wish was $4300+, but I understood the deal.

I’m confused...

you were not happy with the lower prices and decided to take a lower number because It’s consignment ?

I was not happy with getting zero response and needed it off my books this year. I knew I would lose a cut going in and was fine with them dealing with the idiots looking at 25+ year old trucks,.

Did you have to give them your “bottom dollar” and what says that they don’t instantly go straight to it without even trying? Was $3750 your bottom?

They have nothing to gain for a vehicle under 5k, so drop to bottom instantly and dump it.

We agreed that $4k was the lowest price. They got $4250. I asked them to price it at $4500, they took it upon themselves to bump it up to $4950 to give more wiggle room.

I am perfectly fine with that.

Thanks to the capitalist-minded speculators (which I agreed with at the time) I decided NOT to list our toyhauler last spring, as I had intended to do. Fast forward a few months and it was a killer year for rv sales and the three trips that we had planned were canceled. I’m self employed and absolutely do not have time for tire-kickers and low ball offers.

I listed it on consignment a couple weeks ago and we got our first low ball offer today. No skin off of my nose, we’ll let it ride and for now I am happy, as I got the call while we were at our cabin. I did not have to rush home or accommodate someone else (waste my time).

I’m confused...

OP sucks at selling. The BHPH clown lot has the same resources to sell a truck as OP, and did it in less time for more money.

download-5.jpg

I try to avoid looking period. Every time I do I drag something home. I live in a used car lot.

Same here, I have significantly reduced my search list though. I want to replace the 2a that I lost and source an og commando to build an awd street assassin out of.

OP sucks at selling. The BHPH clown lot has the same resources to sell a truck as OP, and did it in less time for more money.

They have a resource I don't have at my disposal: Corner parking at a busy intersection across the street from the local college campus. High traffic = high interest.

I've consigned a couple of motorcycles. I was happy with the result. You take a hit, but they sold it way faster and no hassle for me.

So uh....because you didn't drop your price low enough or put it on enough platforms, you instead settled for letting someone else sell it for even less money in your pocket?

Makes sense :confused:

I've never dealt with them

Am old family friend told me a story about consigning a 60s mustang convertible in the 80s. They called him and leaned on him to drop his bottom dollar to make the deal, he bent. He runs into the car and the new owner in town and finds out he got royally fucked, the buyer paid near full ask.

I'll spread the word on a car, offer a few bucks to a friend if he finds a buyer, list for sale a little further out, even ping previous tire kickers for a last chance offer, but I've never consigned one

Do not consign that fucker. Look up the Hansen auction group. Drop that fucker off there for their next auction. They are awesome to work with. They didn’t charge any commission on my end when I sold my $3500 m715 for $8500. They only charged me 50 bucks if I would have bought it back.

https://www.hansenauctiongroup.com/

these guy have a awesome advertising list, they get the auction in front of the right people.

Wisconsin surplus is a distant second.

Auction that fucker off and see what she brings. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Do not consign that fucker. Look up the Hansen auction group. Drop that fucker off there for their next auction. They are awesome to work with. They didn’t charge any commission on my end when I sold my $3500 m715 for $8500. They only charged me 50 bucks if I would have bought it back.

https://www.hansenauctiongroup.com/

these guy have a awesome advertising list, they get the auction in front of the right people.

Wisconsin surplus is a distant second.

Auction that fucker off and see what she brings. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Hmm... I bought it in January from a guy who bought it at an auction. He was happy with my offer price (he made a little money). I made more than that on consignment.

I don't think it would pull as much at auction as you think... and I already consigned it last week. It sold last night. I pick up my check this morning.

It was just way easier to wash my hands of it and let them work on buyers in their prime location in town. I live on a dead-end dirt road. I had it listed on FB and CL, even in the local ad paper for a bit with almost zero response. I figure it was just nice to add the exposure, meanwhile separating me from the buyer in case something went wrong on a 27 year old truck within the first couple days of ownership (something was ALWAYS going wrong on that truck, like the blower motor quitting at random, the wiper pulse board, the cruise control quitting, the radio eq display turning on at random, oil pushing out the intake manifold gasket from time to time due to excessive drive pressure in the GenV 454, random plug wire failures on new-ish wires, and on and on... I just couldn't trust it for what I needed it to do: head down the highway towing my projects home).

I recently looked at two different motorcycles on consignment at two different dealers. They went right over to the computer and told me the bottom dollar.

Top Back Refresh