What's new

School me on wells

Mr Stubs

Taste my rainbow, bitches
Member Number
Loc
Land of liquid sunshine
I grew up on gravity fed spring water so Im totally in the dark here...

The 4dee has a creek that flows through the property line, but isolated by a county gravel road. The property is square shaped.

Should I

A: Have my well put in on the opposite side of the county road (this is very close to power), and then move the water to the center of the land ( don’t know the horizontal distance but the vertical distance will be about 200’) to a reservoir above the building site. This would give me gravity flow pressure and a out of power reserve.

B: Drill a well close to the building location and hope for the best. The property does have multiple seasonal springs but none located at or above the building location.

Last edited:
Surface water doesn't equal ground water. Have a dowser come in and look for water closer to your needs location? :confused:

Talk to a well driller familiar with your area. You may have to drill the well in the low point of the land to get a well that produces.

You also have to consider where your septic leech flied is going to be. Many areas require a certain distance between the well and the leech field.

Well it's a deep subject! Follow the above advice about talking to a local well driller, they will know, also talk to some local landowners. Personally I wouldn't put it across a road, how you going to get it back to your property? I would drill it close to the house site.

Personally I wouldn't put it across a road, how you going to get it back to your property? I would drill it close to the house site.

I never said that I would. I was making reference to how close I was to the creek but had a road between the creek and building area

Here are a couple pics of the creek.

51168B3F-BE8E-42E5-977C-2E6A99F6AACD.jpeg

where ever you do end up putting the well, make sure its somewhat accessible to be redrilled eventually

usually if you build a structure over the well theyll cut a 4' x 4' hole in the roof thats removable

The closer to the use location the better. The farther the water has to be moved as in out of the deep well or across the yard the more issues you will have with it. Just because you have a creek doesn't really mean much. My old farm house has a 45 ft well. My current house is 155. The farm well was over 150 feet from the house. Big ass pump, used more electricity, water wasn't ice cold either. Do a Submersible pump not a jet pump if you can.

Surface water means nothing. Your looking for underground water. Surface water is nonpotable.
Depending on the location you could drill a well in that stream and still have to go down 300’ to hit drinkable water.

Put the well as close to where you gonna use it as possible. There is a lot of friction losses in a long run.

I have lived my entire 39 years on this planet on a well and septic. You don’t need a cistern or any bullshit like that. Put in a good transfer switch and get a good genset and you’ll be just fine.

what I would do in your circumstance is get a few quotes by the local well drillers to see what they say. Get the building code book and see what all the setbacks are. You may need to get someone to draw up a plot plan.

With all this info what the drillers recommend, set backs, building locations future shops , septic systems , gardens ect, this will give you a area that’s as close as possible to all the points your gonna want to get serviced with water.

Now once you have a general area find a Witcher and find a good spot. Yes I know it sounds stupid but imo it does work.

Good luck man

Good advice given here by us lil Pirates. Setback, septic etc. Have a well driller walk the land for a bid and listen carefully. My $0.02 dont buy the pump yourself, let the driller do that. He will install it and thus warrant the pump itself and the work. Also, code may specify or require that a the driller or a licensed electrician complete the wiring hook up. Your land is soaked with water. Getting a well in is the problem. Let the driller decide that. Insist on a pumping test before accepting completion and payment. Make the driller acknowledges that up front in the cost. Good luck. FWIW I have a well driller Contractor's license and a Geologist Professional license. :usa:

where ever you do end up putting the well, make sure its somewhat accessible to be redrilled eventually

usually if you build a structure over the well theyll cut a 4' x 4' hole in the roof thats removable

Why? My well war drilled mid 50s and5in a casual conversation with the local well driller (who remembers drilling mine) said I'll never need to worry about having a new well drilled.

Why? My well war drilled mid 50s and5in a casual conversation with the local well driller (who remembers drilling mine) said I'll never need to worry about having a new well drilled.

oh, i guess that depends on the area :homer:

my parents are surrounded by farmland and had to redrill once, the whole california drought/ lower water table deal

i think the other time was just years of deposit buildup in the pipes, made a 2" I.D. pipe into a 1" I.D. (another location specific thing)

Lot of good advice here. Definitely listen to the driller. Also make sure you communicate where all you plan to use the water and how. You don't want to be pumping all over creation. If the wells are reasonably shallow, you may be better off digging multiple wells. That said, I just finished my well and it was 650'. I don't want to put many of those in. :homer: I am right on the lake BTW, so like has been said, groundwater means fuckall when drilling a well.

Find well digger that has been doing it all his life. Listen to him. Do what he says. Will save u money and stress long term. Ive only been doing it for 40 yrs

I am in the planning stages of a new house in northern Arizona. The property has a very good well but its 300-400 feet away and 75-100' below the area I want to build the house. I had the well inspected since it was drilled in 2005 and was never used, just a capped well, no pump, no nothing. The inspector called it a shallow well since it hits water at 45' and if I remember correctly, the well depth is 305'. The well service company I have been dealing with said they just add the elevation change to the depth they set the pump, probably at 240' since that is where they got 18.5GPM steady.

Even if you get closer to the house, wouldn't you will still have to drill down that much further to make up for the elevation change? The only difference is the run from well to the house which equals more cost. I am planning on putting the horses down on the lower level near the well so it works for me to have the well down there.

I am planning on going all solar with utility as a back up. I am thinking of using a tank up above the home site so I can pump during the day for free. I will probably end up burying the tank so I don't have to look at it, and there will not be enough elevation change to pressurize the water in my case, so would still need a pressure pump at the tank.

When I don't know about something, I ask you clowns, and call a professional who works in the area. I called the company who drilled the well and they directed me to a well service company that's been in the area for 45 years. They gave me lots of free information and listened to me asking stupid questions since I don't know crap about wells.

I dig the toenail color. Red, SEXY...

In my location the aquifer follows the lay of the land. So as you go up hill so does the aquifer meaning it gets shallower and probably doesn't produce water on the hill. EX: these wells are drilled in a low spot because there was no water up on the hills.
Screenshot_20200812-061331_Earth.jpg
Screenshot_20200812-072840_Earth.jpg

Top Back Refresh