What's new

School me on Wagyu beef

i've managed to keep my consumption to business dinners only. if i started booked it at home i'd be poor again.

Yeah, this is just going to be a one time or at most once a year thing. The last time we were in Japan we had Kobe and we were just looking to try some Wagyu from Japan here in the States.

We get a half cow every year from a local rancher, so we have plenty of steaks and meat to grill up. Just looking to try something new.

You other guys can stick to eating you former dairy cows washed down with PBR behind your single wide:flipoff2:

Yeah, this is just going to be a one time or at most once a year thing. The last time we were in Japan we had Kobe and we were just looking to try some Wagyu from Japan here in the States.

We get a half cow every year from a local rancher, so we have plenty of steaks and meat to grill up. Just looking to try something new.

You other guys can stick to eating you former dairy cows washed down with PBR behind your single wide:flipoff2:

we do half a beef and a hog a year. let them think their walmart steaks are living the high life.

there is a place in texas selling wagyu halfs. been tempted.

As long as a calf/steer is just half Waygu, its marketed and sold as Waygu and nothing else.

So, say a guy has three ranches leased with angus cattle on one, hereford crosses on another, and ultra-blacks/Brangus on another, and has a contract with another cattle company that brings in a Waygu bull for each ranch, drops them there for 3-6 months, then comes in and pulls the bulls out.

Those resulting calves, no matter what the dam cow is, are now Waygu beef cattle and are sold/packed/marketed as Waygu beef, with the premium attached. Hell, they could be damn near worthless, scrawny as shit, longhorn cattle and if they are bred by a Waygu bull, then out plops premium-priced Waygu beef.

so chances are, your eating some bastard Waygu cross beef at the highest prices imaginable

As long as a calf/steer is just half Waygu, its marketed and sold as Waygu and nothing else.

so chances are, your eating some bastard Waygu cross beef at the highest prices imaginable

So this sent me down a rabbit hole looking up the various standards. Bottom line is to buy Japanese raised Wagyu due to their stricter regulations on the product. I ordered 2 NY strips from CrowdCow. I'll report back next weekend on how they turn out. Plan is to grill them over lump charcoal.

So, say a guy has three ranches leased with angus cattle on one, hereford crosses on another, and ultra-blacks/Brangus on another, and has a contract with another cattle company that brings in a Waygu bull for each ranch, drops them there for 3-6 months, then comes in and pulls the bulls out.

Those resulting calves, no matter what the dam cow is, are now Waygu beef cattle and are sold/packed/marketed as Waygu beef, with the premium attached. Hell, they could be damn near worthless, scrawny as shit, longhorn cattle and if they are bred by a Waygu bull, then out plops premium-priced Waygu beef.

I’ve had some “Wagyu” from an operation like that. Guy has angus cows he breeds with Wagyu bulls. I didn’t think the meat was anything special.

This is more or less dad's operation, except when he started there were hardly any Waguu in the US so he was mail ordering semen straws from California and artificially inseminating cows/heifers. He's developed the heard to the point of having 1/2-3/4 Wagyu cross bulls of his own now, and breeds the cows with them. The genetics for the marbling everyone wants, are dominant enough to not really need a full blood Wagyu bull to achieve an excellent piece of meat. Finish feeding on corn gluten for a few months helps too.

As far as marketing, that's basically how most of the breed specific brands do, looking at you "Black Angus." Is it mostly black? Great, we'll slap a Black Angus sticker on it and charge 20% more.

My folks market local-ish, and don't claim anything more than Wagyu cross, which they are.

Last edited:
My wife and I split an Australian wagyu tomahawk steak at Prime in vegas. It was pretty awesome, but would not go out of my way to have it again. It's one of those eat it once type of things.

So this sent me down a rabbit hole looking up the various standards. Bottom line is to buy Japanese raised Wagyu due to their stricter regulations on the product. I ordered 2 NY strips from CrowdCow. I'll report back next weekend on how they turn out. Plan is to grill them over lump charcoal.

correct. "5" is the american system. A8 or better in japans. good luck.

We are looking to try some Wagyu and there are no options remotely near us to sit down and eat some, so thinking of ordering some. Costco has a 4 pack of Wagyu from Kagoshima, 4, 12oz NY strips for $399. Crowd Cow was another online, more expensive even than that. I don't want to waste that kind of money on a former race horse masquerading as Wagyu, anybody have any experiences with buying it online?

I will not be putting ketchup on it.:flipoff2:

I got a gift of crowd cow 2 normal ribeyes 1 american wagyu ribeye and one japanese a5 wagyu ribeye. Their normal ribeyes were nothing special wouldn't waste the money on them. Their american wagyu was very good. Lots of flavor and super tender. Still waiting to try the japanese wagyu. Cooked all of them via the reverse sear method.

This is more or less dad's operation, except when he started there were hardly any Waguu in the US so he was mail ordering semen straws from California and artificially inseminating cows/heifers. He's developed the heard to the point of having 1/2-3/4 Wagyu cross bulls of his own now, and breeds the cows with them. The genetics for the marbling everyone wants, are dominant enough to not really need a full blood Wagyu bull to achieve an excellent piece of meat. Finish feeding on corn gluten for a few months helps too.

As far as marketing, that's basically how most of the breed specific brands do, looking at you "Black Angus." Is it mostly black? Great, we'll slap a Black Angus sticker on it and charge 20% more.

My folks market local-ish, and don't claim anything more than Wagyu cross, which they are.

Shipping on whole cow to 98371 please!:smokin:

So we cooked up some wagyu that I ordered from CrowdCow,
Here's the Jap Wagyu
Jap Wagyu.jpeg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Jap Wagyu.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	364.9 KB ID:	42826
Here's the 100% Domestic Wagyu next to the 100% Jap Wagyu:
Jap and Dom Wagyu.jpeg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Jap and Dom Wagyu.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	391.4 KB ID:	42827

Obviously the Jap Wagyu had much better marbling. We just grilled it over lump charcoal with a touch of salt. The Jap Wagyu was without a doubt the best tasting most juicy meat I've ever put in my mouth:flipoff2: It was tender and melt in your mouth delicious.

And just cuz...We used our Hanzo steel knives ( The two on the left) we bought in Japan on our last visit to cut up the steaks. Hand built to order and damn near too sharp.
Hanzo Steel.jpeg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Hanzo Steel.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	311.1 KB ID:	42828

Last edited:
I've thought about it... local cajun meat market has wagyu ribeyes for $75. I want to try one, but it would only be a one time deal, and I'm scared it would be so good i wouldn't want to go back to "regular" steaks. :laughing:

This happened to me. Tried the Wagyu burgers from the local supermarket and can not eat the regular burgers anymore. I also served them to friends and they say it is crazy good.

Wheelerfreak name dropping like a motherfucker.

Aside from crowdcow that was it, and that was because they were recommended earlier in the thread. The Hanzo steel was a joke reference to Kill Bill movies. I have no idea what the characters spell out, likely the name of the place we bought them from, which I didn't name.

Last edited:
This happened to me. Tried the Wagyu burgers from the local supermarket and can not eat the regular burgers anymore. I also served them to friends and they say it is crazy good.

My wife buys Sumatran whole bean coffee at Costco, so that's what we drink at home.

I bought a can of Folgers for the machine at the shop, then spent a week cleaning the new machine, cleaning out the distilled water machine, and generally trying to figure out why Folgers tastes like moldy shit. I finally figured out that it's just Folgers.

Maestros Steak house sells it about 250 for a 8 oz cut in dinner you are basically as the chef put it paying for meat with fat in it that well has alot of fat in it.

Top Back Refresh