What's new

School me on Jib Cranes

That’s the issue with bridge cranes you need so much ceiling height to make them useful. The bridge crane next door needed 24’ sidewalls to get 22’ under the hook.

My beams came in yesterday so maybe once Christmas is over I’ll start burning that bitch together.
You're still losing way less height than the same capacity jib because the beams are lighter for a given capacity/area.

If your fixed beams are in the same direction as the next floor's joists then you only lose the height of the traveler, trolley and hoist.

Yeah, but for the cost I can replace these about 10x for one of those. Unless you've got a place to get them cheap?

Edit, just saw the link. So about 8x......
I'll let you decide

I'll let you decide

Still sticking with the cheapies. The ones I buy have 25 ribs for 50" of linear filter. The ones you posted have 11 ribs for 88". More area yes, but as they are a tighter filter flow rate is probably similar.

Also, the 4" thick ones are harder to keep taped to the fan. One of these days I might make a better mount system, but the fan would probably die 2 days later knowing my luck. This is simple, cheap and fairly effective.

That’s the issue with bridge cranes you need so much ceiling height to make them useful. The bridge crane next door needed 24’ sidewalls to get 22’ under the hook.

My beams came in yesterday so maybe once Christmas is over I’ll start burning that bitch together.
I've still got to put mine together as well. Its just going to be a pain to mount because the trolleys are so heavy, ill need to build some sort of rigging attachment for the forklift. I think it's a 15t. I'll be low on headroom but its only for plate handling between machines and pallets.

Still sticking with the cheapies. The ones I buy have 25 ribs for 50" of linear filter. The ones you posted have 11 ribs for 88". More area yes, but as they are a tighter filter flow rate is probably similar.

Also, the 4" thick ones are harder to keep taped to the fan. One of these days I might make a better mount system, but the fan would probably die 2 days later knowing my luck. This is simple, cheap and fairly effective.
Now that we have fully hi-jacked the thread LOL
This fan is in my bedroom, for sleep cooling/noise.

I figured might as well do some purifying with it. Adding the 1" merv 11 filter to it made the fan actually blow close to zero cfm.
You couldn't feel air movement even 3' from the fan, most of the air was spilling out the side.

I made a 1/4" plywood box to hold the filter and switched to this filter, instantly made it a fan again.
Price not a factor for me, I need it to clean the air and I want it to have high air flow.

I've still got to put mine together as well. Its just going to be a pain to mount because the trolleys are so heavy, ill need to build some sort of rigging attachment for the forklift. I think it's a 15t. I'll be low on headroom but its only for plate handling between machines and pallets.
Watch that video of those dudes dropping that gantry to get primed up on what not to do.

Different angle than I have seen before but I found it. Crazy scaffold guy doesn't die.

Seriously. The gas/steam turbine one would have been a fuckin expensive mistake.

I'd do the bridge crane if I could. I have a lift, airlines and 2 overhead door tracks that would interfere.
Can't shift things around? The doors and airlines should be no biggy...just the lift would be a challenge but I'd assume you could clear above it if the bridge was mounted high enough?

Can't shift things around? The doors and airlines should be no biggy...just the lift would be a challenge but I'd assume you could clear above it if the bridge was mounted high enough?
I think that would be the long way around by quite a bit. Air and electric to both lift posts. I'd have to measure but the lift is probably too tall. 2 14' door tracks that are attached to the trusses. I don't see how you could pass them.

spend 4k$ on a used 5k forklift and be done with it !
I have a backhoe and a track hoe that can lift pretty heavy. They aren't very handy for indoor lifting. Seems way easier to have a crane of some sort to move parts around.

I have a backhoe and a track hoe that can lift pretty heavy. They aren't very handy for indoor lifting. Seems way easier to have a crane of some sort to move parts around.
I have the HF rolling gantry because it came with the shop. I also have a 6k forklift, small tractor and a pallet jack. I haven't used the gantry once. Just about anything I need to move around the shop can get put on a pallet or skid and rolled around with the pallet jack if it's going somewhere I can't get the forklift.

Sure, if it were possible to put an overhead crane in my building, I'd love to have one but I'd still spring for the forklift first.

I have the HF rolling gantry because it came with the shop. I also have a 6k forklift, small tractor and a pallet jack. I haven't used the gantry once. Just about anything I need to move around the shop can get put on a pallet or skid and rolled around with the pallet jack if it's going somewhere I can't get the forklift.

Sure, if it were possible to put an overhead crane in my building, I'd love to have one but I'd still spring for the forklift first.
I dunno man. I don't really want to fire up the Hough every time I gotta sling a 160lb transmission around. Being able to just hang that shit from the ceiling without putting a ton of short operating cycles on an engine is worth something.

I think that would be the long way around by quite a bit. Air and electric to both lift posts. I'd have to measure but the lift is probably too tall. 2 14' door tracks that are attached to the trusses. I don't see how you could pass them.
You'd have to switch to roll ups and trench for air/electric.

Start of the jib crane for my brother.

FF9AF7E3-1EB9-41DE-BF6D-3106547C651D.jpeg

Sweet, wish you were laying out a jib crane for my shop.:beer:

Buy door track parts. Cut and splice to run them up high against the truss instead of hanging out in crane space. Reroute the air and electric.

I dunno man. I don't really want to fire up the Hough every time I gotta sling a 160lb transmission around. Being able to just hang that shit from the ceiling without putting a ton of short operating cycles on an engine is worth something.

But would you trade your forklift for a crane? That's the point I was making. I'd get more use of a forklift and it'd be the first thing I'd buy. If I could really justify a jib or overhead, that'd be second.
I'm sure my rolling gantry could be useful, but it's a pain to move out of it's storage spot and I haven't found the need for it in the year that I've been here.....but I also know if I sell it I'll immediately need it. :homer:

But would you trade your forklift for a crane? That's the point I was making. I'd get more use of a forklift and it'd be the first thing I'd buy. If I could really justify a jib or overhead, that'd be second.
I'm sure my rolling gantry could be useful, but it's a pain to move out of it's storage spot and I haven't found the need for it in the year that I've been here.....but I also know if I sell it I'll immediately need it. :homer:
If I could back a 1-ton flatebed truck into the area served by the crane I would think long and hard about it. There's a lot of shit that's a 2-man job with the fork lift and a 1-man job when you have a crane with an up/down button. They're different tools for different jobs but for what I do the crane would be tits.

If I could back a 1-ton flatebed truck into the area served by the crane I would think long and hard about it. There's a lot of shit that's a 2-man job with the fork lift and a 1-man job when you have a crane with an up/down button. They're different tools for different jobs but for what I do the crane would be tits.
You just need a wireless remote to control the up/down of the forklift.:smokin:

You just need a wireless remote to control the up/down of the forklift.:smokin:
I've seriously considered doing this to a telehandler to make a 1-man tree trimming platform. I sure I'd kill myself or worse, but it'd be sweet if it worked. Easy on those machines since they already have electronic valves. Older forklifts....you'd have to replace all the old analog valves or do some crazy servo shit to actuate the levers.

Top Back Refresh