What's new

School me on gun safes

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
Never been adult enough to own one before now. Don't need anything huge, just something to lock up a couple of shotguns and handguns and ammo. Would also be cool to lock up stuff like passports, social security cards, etc.

What's a good deal that doesn't suck? I'm starting from square one.

i think you may have two different needs here.

I have one small fireproof/waterproof safe that holds birth certificate, passports, spare cash etc.

Then i have a sheetmetal gun cabinet that holds the firearms to keep uneducated neighborhood kids safe.

I bought this one on sale for $900. I'm happy. I would prefer a traditional dial combo, over the flimsy feeling digital code, but whatever.

Lay out your budget then start comparing fire-ratings, weight, # of door pins etc. Buy the biggest one you can afford. Make sure you bolt the damn thing down.

I bought this one on sale for $900. I'm happy. I would prefer a traditional dial combo, over the flimsy feeling digital code, but whatever.

Lay out your budget then start comparing fire-ratings, weight, # of door pins etc. Buy the biggest one you can afford. Make sure you bolt the damn thing down.

Woah, that thing is legit. Looking to spend up to $1K.

I got a cheap ish one from costco.... Better than the sheet metal ones, and fire rated, but not as good as the high $$ ones. It works.

I went with tractor supply on Black Friday. Not great but OK fire rating. Then I bought a fire/waterproof small lockbox and put my precious metals and important docs/cash in that. Next is a safe room in the basement. Helped a few buddies do it, little bit of work, not too bad

I just went through this. Fire ratings VS security ratings.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/g...e-fire-rating/

Good watch/ read.

A used safe is what I went with, Higher fire rating, and a more secure safe,
look at rolled or stamped steel 11 or 12 Ga. vs actual plate steel.

large bolts and a high number of bolts don't mean anything if they are held in place by sheet metal brackets.

There is a ton to learn.

again, Used is always a good option.

EDIT*** Imports from China are bad. but cheap, mostly rolled steel and drywall.

Last edited:

I have the 80 gun version so I would have room for other crap. It's my first safe. If I buy another one I'll get one built by a safe company.

gun safes are mainly about fire rating when you dig into it

the real main deterent to theft is how well you anchor your safe to the ground/wall

the average thief isnt going to pick the lock or torch a hole in the side, theyre going to take it somewhere and grind and smash for 5hrs undisturbed

i knew a guy that had his 40 gun safe dragged across his house:eek:

I went with tractor supply on Black Friday. Not great but OK fire rating. Then I bought a fire/waterproof small lockbox and put my precious metals and important docs/cash in that. Next is a safe room in the basement. Helped a few buddies do it, little bit of work, not too bad

This is what I've done too. Decent sized safe. Bought it from a guy who's grandfather bought it new. Keep a firebox inside of it for all the special documents and stuff. Rigged up some LEDs to a magnetic switch. Works great. That was an adventure getting it into the house. :laughing:

If Biden wins he’s going to take them anyway :flipoff2:

I have a couple, they only hold about half the number of guns as their rating. Both are 60 minute fire rating and anchored to concrete. There should be a good sale around Black Friday.

I have the same wants as you. Every time I go down this road I’m never happy with what I find.

Its either Fort Knoxs, build your house around it or cheap as fuck coffee can.

This. I was building a house with a vault door on special room before the owners folded on this house. Vault door on special room isn't much more than a nice gun safe.

20201029_120301_resized.jpg

Used I just purchased

20201103_085454.jpg

One I bought used in 2008

i think you may have two different needs here.

I have one small fireproof/waterproof safe that holds birth certificate, passports, spare cash etc.

Then i have a sheetmetal gun cabinet that holds the firearms to keep uneducated neighborhood kids safe.

100% this.

quality strongbox for the important documents and small stuff. cheap safe or gun cabinet, because they are never the right size :rasta:

Woah, that thing is legit. Looking to spend up to $1K.

Legit :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:​​​​​​ until you realize some meth head with a 4.5” angle grinder and cutoff wheels can zipper the back open with no issues while your gone from home.

Wish I had gotten that one.

I got this one when it was on sale localy a few years ago for less than the equivalent smaller one, was a great deal but really just isn't big enough to be multipurpose.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-36-gun-safe-ts-36-45

Now I'm debating another one or just getting one huge one.

[486 said:
;n182202]lock your house
good enough, and just as effective

Not if your house catches on fire. (well, you're probably still right with some of the cheaper safes)

[486 said:
;n182225]

ain't basically all of them only fire rated for at most an hour or two?
houses burn a lot longer than an hour

Even my fairly expensive safe is "only" rated for 75 minutes. The idea is to keep things safe until firefighters can start getting water on it.

Legit :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:​​​​​​ until you realize some meth head with a 4.5” angle grinder and cutoff wheels can zipper the back open with no issues while your gone from home.

Yeah, haven't seen it in person. How about less laughing emojis and more links to gun safes that some meth head with a 4.5" angle grind and cutoff wheels can't zipper the back open with no issues while I'm gone from home instead?

Yeah, haven't seen it in person. How about less laughing emojis and more links to gun safes that some meth head with a 4.5" angle grind and cutoff wheels can't zipper the back open with no issues while I'm gone from home instead?

A safe the was linked to me on that sort of scale, weigh in at just over 3000lbs.

Fuck these store bought gun "safes". They're residential security containers, not true safes. You would be better off with a Knaack or Rigid job box with a good lock. And before you come at me with, but muh fire rating, look at the temp they are rated for vs what a house fire really is. Sorry about your feelings. :flipoff2:

When it's time to actually get serious about it get a Brown Safe.

edit: here is a link. https://www.brownsafe.com/

Fuck these store bought gun "safes". They're residential security containers, not true safes. You would be better off with a Knaack or Rigid job box with a good lock. And before you come at me with, but muh fire rating, look at the temp they are rated for vs what a house fire really is. Sorry about your feelings. :flipoff2:

When it's time to actually get serious about it get a Brown Safe.

edit: here is a link. https://www.brownsafe.com/

Starting at $2,460

Ah shit. That's right around how much all my shitty guns are worth... maybe..

Top Back Refresh