What's new

School me on gas fireplace inserts

spaceman

Member Number
I'm tired of looking at the wood burning fireplace in the home, and the fact that the gubment gets to tell me when I can and can't burn it, not to mention heat loss through the chimney, etc. My gas meter is on the opposite end of my house, but the furnace room has a gas line run to it, and is only about 30 feet to the fireplace (furnace room in basement, with easy access to the crawlspace under the family room where the fireplace is).

I am assuming with a full brick fireplace and chimney, I would be looking at a direct vent out the top of the chimney?

What do y'all know about quality units/brands and typical install costs? My wife said the neighbor paid close to $8k for a unit and install, that seems insane!

8k is a little high but not insane. Look at Enviro. They make some nice gas inserts. I personally wouldn’t go from wood to gas just because of the cost of gas compared to wood. I’ve got a Blaze King insert with a liner. Couldn’t be happier.

8K is nuts. You can direct vent it in the fireplace. I'd get measurements of your fireplace box opening/depth. Find one that fits and buy the surround. Do it yourself. Or, are you in some commie area that won't let you install one?

I put gas logs in mine, cheap ones. Work great, but you have to run the chimney open some or the ceiling will get black over time. They don't burn very clean.

Insert with direct vent would be better.

EPA Wood stove in the fireplace hole. Stainless flex liner down the chimney.
Awesome heat output, good efficiency and safe.

Burn wood, or is that too much for you to handle?

My 93 year old grandmother still burns wood and the only thing she complains about is the she can’t bring in as much as she used to in one trip. :stirthepot:

I would put a Pacific Energy Super LE insert in with a full stainless liner system and burn wood. If your set on gas go with Enviro, they have a bunch of differant models and sizes. I don't think you would break 6k on a install with one of their units

We sell Lopi and FireplaceX gas inserts as our main line and HeatNGlo if people ask for them.

If you are on Natural Gas they are awesome. Very easy to install if you wanted to do it yourself.

Reactions: Clb
Anyone gunna mention full gas appliances (or is the enviro one? Dunno)?
op a gas unit with statt and blower think purty flame pattern to look at and an actual btu output like the furnace.

edit
love my 2 stage wood fired lopi!
it is pre cat prk stuff.

Burn wood, or is that too much for you to handle?

My 93 year old grandmother still burns wood and the only thing she complains about is the she can’t bring in as much as she used to in one trip. :stirthepot:

i live in a modern home, with a furnace and running water. :flipoff2:

But seriously, I don't *need* the fireplace. I do have wood for it, but don't burn it very often at all. Just thought it might be nice to convert it and forget about it, while having the ability to have a 'nice fire' every once in a while as I am watching the boobtube.

I'll check out enviro.

I have no doubt I can figure out where to tap into the existing gas line to run a new line to the fireplace. I'm not even too worried about being able to make sure the joints aren't leaking :eek:. I am having a hard time with the fact that plumbers or gasfitters seem to charge somewhere between $20-30/foot to run the line and hook it up.

Top Back Refresh