What's new

School me on Colt SAA

Texas97

Surgical Shotgunner
Member Number
Loc
Texas
Been interested in getting a Colt SAA, and generally understand the timelines of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen iterations. Been reading that some of the early 3rd gens had some spotty quality issues. really would like to keep it in 357 to not need another caliber but that pigeon holes me into a 3rd gen. i wouldnt be mad at a 44 special or a 45 colt either, though

any advice or recommendations? anything to really avoid?

It seems like the best deals are always on the oddball calibers in the 1st gen, like 41colt etc. If you handload, I wouldn't be afraid of a 38-40, 44-40, or 32-20 they are all fun. The second generation were pretty good bargains until several years ago, now prices have gone crazy on them too.

If you have to have a Colt, that's cool, ive been there. But if you want a fun shooter the new replicas from Uberti ( sold by Taylor, Cimarron, etc) are pretty good guns, and not hard to get a 357 in any barrel length you want, and at this point way easier to get parts for than a Colt. The Ruger Vaquero looks the part, and is by far the strongest, but doesn't feel like a Colt like the Italian clones do.

I think I'm moving past a 357 and trying to avoid the strike year colts. There's several out there in great condition that can be had from 2100$ up to $5k.

Unfortunately, a Colt is going to be the only way to scratch that itch. I already have a Ruger 3 screw flat top.

Might also add a Cimarron Holy Smoker soon to complement the others.

It's beautiful, but the brisley just feels wrong in the way it points for me. Also probably out of my price range :laughing:

Don’t over look the New Frontiers! But you should really jump on that bisley.........
If he passes, PM me.

Have always lusted after a Colt SAA in .45. I almost bought one in '76. I could not afford the $350. Shitfuck.

they likely have a transfer bar, i'd say no.
It doesn't appear to have a transfer bar.

Quick question, to be sure that I know what I'm talking about. A transfer bar slides between the firing pin and hammer correct?

Or is it like on the new model single sixes?

It doesn't appear to have a transfer bar.

Quick question, to be sure that I know what I'm talking about. A transfer bar slides between the firing pin and hammer correct?

Or is it like on the new model single sixes?
Looking around, it appears it's not a transfer bar on this model, which is surprising.

Top Back Refresh