What's new

School me on buying digital movies

KarlVP

Not Sure
Member Number
Loc
Crusty's Brewing, Wa
Never been one to purchase a movie from a service (ie. Amazon, Disney, Youtube, etc.) What happens when you buy a movie for instance from Amazon Prime. Do you own it forever? Can I take it to my buddies house and watch it? Can I download it onto a device? Can I burn it to a DVD?

Seems kind of flimsy to me to purchase a digital media file if it isn't actually mine.

What happens when you buy a movie for instance from Amazon Prime. Do you own it forever?

the question is how long those services and what-not will actually be around..

I have over 1000 DVDs partially cuz you do own them for as long as your want them.. not just how long said companies will last..

AFAIK, you only have the right to stream it from the provider, through your subscription. Without reading the fine print you'd at least have to sign into your account at your buddie's house to view something you "purchased" through a streaming service.

There's an app a coworker was showing me that you link to your various accts (apple, Amazon, netflix, fango?, etc) and it will pull together all of your digital movie/show downloads into one place. It will also grab any of the digital movie codes you get that come with blue rays. Sorry I can't remember the name of the app.

Never been one to purchase a movie from a service (ie. Amazon, Disney, Youtube, etc.) What happens when you buy a movie for instance from Amazon Prime. Do you own it forever? Can I take it to my buddies house and watch it? Can I download it onto a device? Can I burn it to a DVD?

Seems kind of flimsy to me to purchase a digital media file if it isn't actually mine.

They will mail you a DVD of your Brokeback Mountain purchase to go to your "buddy's house" to watch it if you ask.

They will mail you a DVD of your Brokeback Mountain purchase to go to your "buddy's house" to watch it if you ask.

Which one is "they" I've purchased it from 7 different streaming services. I already own it on DVD, blue ray, and collectors/directors edition VHS and Betamax with the original deleted scenes.

486 was over last night for an evening of cosmos and brokeback. :flipoff2:

the question is how long those services and what-not will actually be around..

I have over 1000 DVDs partially cuz you do own them for as long as your want them.. not just how long said companies will last..

what he said.

you want to own it - buy a dvd, or download the file (not a protected one)

All those digital "purchases" are just leases. They can pull it at any time. Had a pretty decent music/movie collection and one day a bunch of them were gone. Amazon no longer offered them, so even though they were "bought" they were removed. Fine print is a bitch.

If you can't download an unrestricted, full use version, stay hardcopy only.

All those digital "purchases" are just leases. They can pull it at any time. Had a pretty decent music/movie collection and one day a bunch of them were gone. Amazon no longer offered them, so even though they were "bought" they were removed. Fine print is a bitch.

If you can't download an unrestricted, full use version, stay hardcopy only.

fuck that sucks

Speaking only of Amazon, you can download onto mobile devices only.

Any purchase of a game, movie or other digital media is just buying the license. Yes, if you buy a "physical" copy you do own the disc, but that is all you own, you don't actually own a copy of the movie, just a license and the disc that they put the files on. Even old VHS movies, you own the tape, not the movie itself. If they decide to later discontinue that medium, you will not get another version without buying it again and if something goes weird on the licensing end, you may find that your copy "updates" and is no longer playable. So while buying physical might give you the illusion of owning something more, you don't have much legal ground to stand on, though it is rarely an issue and physical is usually better for transferring around than streaming. With streaming purchases, you own the license and not much else. You can stream it wherever there is Internet and the application is available and you log into your account, but you don't usually have the ability to download or actually keep a local file of the media. There are exceptions, but just streaming is preferred by the suppliers since they retain the most control over the media. The fine print is where you figure out how hollow it all really is.

Any purchase of a game, movie or other digital media is just buying the license. Yes, if you buy a "physical" copy you do own the disc, but that is all you own, you don't actually own a copy of the movie, just a license and the disc that they put the files on. Even old VHS movies, you own the tape, not the movie itself. If they decide to later discontinue that medium, you will not get another version without buying it again and if something goes weird on the licensing end, you may find that your copy "updates" and is no longer playable. So while buying physical might give you the illusion of owning something more, you don't have much legal ground to stand on, though it is rarely an issue and physical is usually better for transferring around than streaming. With streaming purchases, you own the license and not much else. You can stream it wherever there is Internet and the application is available and you log into your account, but you don't usually have the ability to download or actually keep a local file of the media. There are exceptions, but just streaming is preferred by the suppliers since they retain the most control over the media. The fine print is where you figure out how hollow it all really is.

You like to talk about the fringe on naval flags, don't you? :flipoff2:

Ackchyually...

Top Back Refresh