What's new

School me on AFM/DOD delete

Member Number
Loc
Sunny Sequim, WA
Today I found myself owning an Escalade with a 6.2

I have always read on here and the old site that DOD should be deleted.

Why is that?

Do I need a kit that requires a cam, or can I just tune it out?

I'll probably want to get it tuned anyway. Is that guy from the old site over here?

Today I found myself owning an Escalade with a 6.2

I have always read on here and the old site that DOD should be deleted.

Why is that?

Do I need a kit that requires a cam, or can I just tune it out?

I'll probably want to get it tuned anyway. Is that guy from the old site over here?

My father in law bought a 2010 escalade with a 6.2 for his jeep. From what he read, you'll need a cam and some valve train parts. ~$600 iirc.

He still has the whole roller if you need parts :flipoff2:

It is generally deleted because the factory afm lifters suck and are prone to collapsing. Depending on miles, you can just turn off the dod/afm with a tuner if you know the lifters are in good condition and get by. Otherwise, you have to replace the lifters, lifter buckets, cam, valley cover, and possibly the front timing cover depending on cam.

If it’s not burning any oil, get the range performance tuner. Just plugs into the obd port. Ran one on our Tahoe up to 185k and never burned a drop.

If it’s not burning any oil, get the range performance tuner. Just plugs into the obd port. Ran one on our Tahoe up to 185k and never burned a drop.

If interested, I have one that I no longer need.

Just be sure to unplug it if the vehicle is gonna sit more than a couple days as it'll drain the battery.

Has 80k on it.

It has the bullshit.

It you could have the vehicle down for a week, I'd just send off the ECM for a tune ($125-150). Or spend money on a tuner, your choice.

Folks like to brag and say they have whatever year/model truck and made it to 500k miles and it never failed or burned a drop.

I see dozens at auctions every week with a dropped cylinder or type writing their ass off with ~130k. Typically if you do it early enough, they have less tendency to stay collapsed.

Last edited:
If interested, I have one that I no longer need.

Just be sure to unplug it if the vehicle is gonna sit more than a couple days as it'll drain the battery.

Maybe, I'll shoot you a PM

Seats are definitely tan, sorry

Too bad.

It has the bullshit.

It you could have the vehicle down for a week, I'd just send off the ECM for a tune ($125-150). Or spend money on a tuner, your choice.

Folks like to brag and say they have whatever year/model truck and made it to 500k miles and it never failed or burned a drop.

I see dozens at auctions every week with a dropped cylinder or type writing their ass off with ~130k. Typically if you do it early enough, they have less tendency to stay collapsed.

As much as I don't want to have it down too long or fuck with it too much because it's the wife's kid toter, I'll probably just throw a cam and shit at it in the spring.

My lifters collapsed in my 5.3 Silverado at 25k. My brother in law lost his lifters at 59,600 miles and just made the 60k power train coverage. Then he lost the VLOM 50 miles after gettin the truck back. AFM is stupid.

i just had a buddy loose a 5.3 in his 2013 Silverado. it had 196k on it.

What does "lose" mean? Needed new lifters or did it chooch something else? At 300k my 5.3 owes me nothing, I'm just wondering what to expect if something ever does go out.

lunched a lifter and took out the motor. I had another buddy drive one ticking like hell for a year. sold it and the guy popped the motor in a month.

Who do you guys recommend sending the ecm to so that they can delete it?

Just put a new engine in my 2011 after the dod killed a cylinder.

Who do you guys recommend sending the ecm to so that they can delete it?

Just put a new engine in my 2011 after the dod killed a cylinder.

I would buy a used hptuners that's out or nearly out of licenses. You will get so much more for your money and don't have any down time.

Top Back Refresh