What's new

SBS plan

posford

Piece Of Shit Ford
Member Number
Loc
NH
I've had the itch to do a form 1 SBS for years, originally bought a Stevens 311 sxs 12 gauge for this, but shot it once and fell in love with it so decided against that.

Was recently acquired a single shot 20 gauge that...well...long story short a family friends father killed himself with many years ago. Family friend passed away and I picked up a few cheap old guns.

I have no attachment to this and I've thought, fuck it, I've spent $200 on dumber shit, why not form 1 this thing, and chop the stock and barrel, mad max style. It's in incredible shape for what it is, it's just not very desirable.

I have most of the paperwork done, I figured I ought to try the woodworking part now to make sure I don't trash it. If I fuck up the stock I'll never be able to replace it for less than I paid. I pulled the stock off and there was a folded up piece of paper inside with the original owners name, the man who killed himself. Very ornate old man script.

Am I morbid for wanting to keep the note with the gun after it's built? Like pocket the foreend and keep it there? I thought about tracing the name out and wood burn it inside the hang guard or something. I feel like it's a fine line between being a tribute and being weird. I never knew the guy if it makes a difference

Why not buy a new stogger side by side? Relatively cheap and if you fuck it up meh, get another one

I've had the itch to do a form 1 SBS for years, originally bought a Stevens 311 sxs 12 gauge for this, but shot it once and fell in love with it so decided against that.

Was recently acquired a single shot 20 gauge that...well...long story short a family friends father killed himself with many years ago. Family friend passed away and I picked up a few cheap old guns.

I have no attachment to this and I've thought, fuck it, I've spent $200 on dumber shit, why not form 1 this thing, and chop the stock and barrel, mad max style. It's in incredible shape for what it is, it's just not very desirable.

I have most of the paperwork done, I figured I ought to try the woodworking part now to make sure I don't trash it. If I fuck up the stock I'll never be able to replace it for less than I paid. I pulled the stock off and there was a folded up piece of paper inside with the original owners name, the man who killed himself. Very ornate old man script.

Am I morbid for wanting to keep the note with the gun after it's built? Like pocket the foreend and keep it there? I thought about tracing the name out and wood burn it inside the hang guard or something. I feel like it's a fine line between being a tribute and being weird. I never knew the guy if it makes a difference

morbidly interesting story, and go for it if you want.

but if i was going through the trouble of an SBS, id go auto. like mag tube right at muzzle length. like Denzel has in "Book of Eli" but not the pump where you can blow a hole in your hand.

A single shot sbs is lame. Lots of cooler shit to waste $200 on.

Dumb waste of a tax stamp IMO. Go with either a tactical style pump or a whippet.

53BF8517-26FE-423E-9035-977003CD4BD0.jpeg

FC05EF84-0A58-4DE8-B551-2CAA8B8D9500.jpeg

Or you could go this route to avoid the $200 tax stamp. Mossberg Shockwave ~$350 (in normal times)

Shockwave.jpg

Stock adapter and brace ~$160

Kit.JPG

It's just as functional as any SBS

SBS.jpg

I had a shockwave 590, what a pile of shit that was. And you're paying the same $200 premium for 4" less barrel, but to Mossberg instead of a tax stamp.

I've got a beater Auto 5 that's cut to 19" with a +3 mag extension, looks like an over under, as well as a couple utilitarian pumps.

Regardless​, I didn't ask what I should SBS, if I'm doing one this is what it'll be. Pics are of it now, I chopped the handguard to what it would be for 9" barrel, the pic with the paper wrapped is as short as I could go keeping the handguard locking parts. Barrel is still 20whatever inches long. I need to bring home my 3/8 counter bore and make the retaining bolt pocket deeper.

Yes it's a dumb fuckoff toy, I'm aware. I figured 20 gauge is at least an easy shooting round compared to 12.

photo20197.jpg

photo20198.jpg

Or you could go this route to avoid the $200 tax stamp. Mossberg Shockwave ~$350 (in normal times)

Stock adapter and brace ~$160

It's just as functional as any SBS

For another $40 you have a real SBS. I’ve had my SBA3s for couple years now and they are starting to annoy me.

For another $40 you have a real SBS. I’ve had my SBA3s for couple years now and they are starting to annoy me.

I could do a pump action SBS for cheaper than what he's proposing, that shockwave thing is over priced and over hyped. I posted about the shockwave shit years ago on pbb before the made them from the factory, but I was renting and didn't have a good gun safe then. Now I'm trying to dip my toe in the stamp collection waters. I paid $150 for my last 870 :laughing: cutting one down doesn't take shit

I had a shockwave 590, what a pile of shit that was. And you're paying the same $200 premium for 4" less barrel, but to Mossberg instead of a tax stamp.

I thought the same thing about the shockwave -- it was pretty worthless. The brace changes it into very shootable and handy gun. Money wise it's about a tossup; I'd rather pay it to Mossberg and keep the government out of it, just my choice. The brace isn't as comfortable as a fixed buttstock and recoil pad but it ain't bad.

Do it! I have an H&R 20G with a 9" barrel. It was brought to me when I was a deputy by a man who found it with his sons drug stuff I paid him $30 and told him I had a plan for it. I left it at the SO Armory until my Form1 came back and then had it engraved. Overall a cool little piece and well worth $230 for a playtoy. One day I'm gonna make me a holster to wear with my cartridge belt.

Just because I like encouraging others to make awful money decisions

photo21014.jpg

Alternative and actually usable. Kel-tec KS7 OAL 26" with 18.5" barrel. Mine is about 3" longer with the choke adapter.

7 rounds or 12 of the mini shells. Topped with a Sig Romeo5 and a x300 light. Did the MCARBO trigger and it's nice, but don't do it unless you are a masochist.
I installed a choke tube adapter and patterned a extra full choke with turkey loads. I was limited to 60yds and the pattern was excellent at that range. Also busted some hand thrown clays with it, put the dot on the clay and squeeze. Made me giggle.

Hell of lot of gun in a damn handy package. Pretty cheap as well. Wanna kill a yote and a turkey with it for sure.

The KSG is another in a long line of kel tec's neat ideas ruined by building it like an airsoft toy. Maybe they've improved since I tried a gen 1 KSG but that thing also somehow had the most uncomfortable recoil impulse of any shotgun I've ever shot.

KS7 is about half the size of a KSG. No idea of any changes. Had the latest KSG and now the KS7. I did replace the space sight/handle thing with a factory rail. Nothing interesting to report on the recoil of either. KS7 is pretty light and hot 3" loads are no joke in any pump. I run mainly mini shells and low recoil buck/ slugs. Promise nothing on the pointy end with notice the couple hundred FPS difference.

Just because I like encouraging others to make awful money decisions

Dude that's the same gun! That's 9"? Good point of reference. Thanks for the motivation

2 weeks ago I got my shit together and submitted my Form 1, got it back today, going to get it engraved next day or 2 and finish the chop.

2 weeks ago I got my shit together and submitted my Form 1, got it back today, going to get it engraved next day or 2 and finish the chop.

2 weeks? That’s fast. E file I’m assuming?

No shit. I havent paid attention to F1 times in forever. That is pretty impressive turn around.

Look who decided to show up for the new year?!

We're putting the band back together...:flipoff2:

morbidly interesting story, and go for it if you want.

but if i was going through the trouble of an SBS, id go auto. like mag tube right at muzzle length. like Denzel has in "Book of Eli" but not the pump where you can blow a hole in your hand.

Yup... If I were to SBS, it would be an 1187 or something like it.

For $200 bucks, it's gonna be worth more than a single shot 20 gauge... with little or no resale value.

Top Back Refresh