What's new

Saving the panda

Well. There have been events. I didn't touch this thing since the shop collapsed. Then my buddy who's property it's at, was hit with divorce talk. So the property was going to be sold, I would lose my shop space, storage for my tools, boat, and project.

I abandoned it too. Poor panda.

Then I had another kid. +10 extra time for projects. Not.

A couple weeks back, it's official. They are not getting divorced, they are sorted out, the property doesn't get sold. Fuck it. I'm back. Let's work on the panda. This thing is dope. Ratchet strapped the roof back up, a couple scraps of plywood to stop the puddles...fire up the left handed cigarettes and let's get after it.:smokin:

So tonight I peeled out the old carb harness, and got the EFI harness into the cab. Rediscovered that I had prepped the engine to be pulled out. Gotta drag a picker in and actually pull the engine, but I'm motivated again.

The new harness and engine came from a 4runner, so there is bonus wire, but that's fine.

Old harness out and hung up for pickin bits if I need to.
20221123_180513.jpg

New harness in place.
20221123_185857.jpg

And one to remember what it looks like.

20221123_185911.jpg

Struggled the 22r out tonight. Still spins nicely. Might use it to replace the super tired clattery motor in the kinda stockish 4runner.

Picked through all 3 clutches in the pile and selected the best parts of each. Gonna do a wire wheel surfacing on the flywheel and see how she goes!
Discovered that I lack a throwout bearing. Pretty sure there is a new one in one of the bins in the shed. I'll find one. Gotta remember where I put the clutch fork too.

20221130_191351.jpg

Only progress last night was that I managed to find the rubber boot, clutch fork, throw out bearing, AND a new bearing! Found my clutch alignment tool too, it was stored in the kitty litter bucket full of lugnuts, of course.

The time is approaching when I will be forced to spend my own money. Front shafts. I have many stock spares, and intend to leave the front open for now...although I may have already swapped in a welded 4.56 diff...I honestly don't remember....anyway, plan is for 33-35s. I know that if I'm careful, it will stay together...but I'm bad at careful.

So are the options still trail mart and RCV? Anyone else worth looking at? I have a local dealer for both, as I recall both require you to have their hub gears to be able to claim warranty?

I do have a....$100? Maybe $200 parts counter credit, but I can't figure out how to get the fucking thing to work. Searched the trailgear p/n and it says nothing found.

TG303398-1-KIT​

I've ran G2's for the last 8 years and have only broke one. It broke the inner star gear, the birf itself was fine in the end. G2 warrantied it no questions asked and sent me a birf and an axle shaft. RCV would still be my first choice but if you are looking to save a few bucks the G2's might be worth it.

20221216_205335.jpg

Need to get a fuel tank and system sorted out. Now, the old standby is the ford van tank. Low pressure in tank pump, high pressure e2000 pump. On the frame rail.
I'll rockauto all that shit.

Gotta build mounts for all the various inner fenders mounted things, fuse boxes and ps reservoir, coil, etc.

Buddy has some conveyor belting I'll use for actual inner fender I think.

20230103_164706.jpg

Got more stuff mounted under the hood, and picked up a freebie fender to replace the mashed one I'd been working with.

20230102_170001.jpg

Buddy came down while I was building the afm/cone filter adapter out of recycled dodge exhaust and random scraps of metal and got a pic of me working in my high dollar production facility shop.
2218492169322235321.jpg

Top Back Refresh