What's new

Saved from Scrap

Blown4x4

Member Number
It amazes me what a person can find in the scrap bin. The idea for this post came from a mag drill I found in the bin. A large Bux mag base with a rockwell drill. My initial thought was the mag base stopped working.

I plugged it in and everything works. Drilled a 5/8”s hole through 1/2” no problems.
E6D6E727-96B0-472C-912D-7294C872FACC.png

So what have you saved from the scrap bin?

So what have you saved from the scrap bin?

:smokin:score.

As for /\| /\ You got all day? Most recent has been a stack of decent sawblades, a diamond plate aluminum truckbox, a Mr. Buddy propane heater, A camping mini woodstove,
A patio heater, A Yakima receiver hitch bike rack............ I'm driving a car friends were going to donate unless I took it last month. How could I refuse? 01 Mitsubishi mirage 5 speed , cruise and AC works, 30 MPG with 296,000 miles. I pretty much fall into it and wear it but once I'm in I'm in.:homer::laughing:

Last edited:
20200810_184129.jpg
granted I bought it for $75 with 3 dies from a coworker that was going to scrap it because he thought it was a pipe bender.

BBD2CBBA-02C4-4CB3-B752-CDC6616D2EE5.jpeg
Saved this from scrap around 10 years ago. Paid twice it’s weight in scrap which was donated to me. Just needed #4 spark plug but I changed them all. At the time I thought an ignition coil pack was bad. Got two from a junk yard and thought I’d replace the plugs while testing which one was bad. Removed #4 and the gap on the plug was closed. Put new ones in and been running great ever since.

it’s my Geo tractor or aka meat wagon 5

If you can see the drill press in the right corner of this photo, it was on its way to the scrap yard. They were going to give him 300 bucks for it but he said he would sell it to me for that if I took it off his hands. Weighs in at 800lbs. I forgot what horse the electric motor is but somewhere around 5. Anyway, he bought it at auction condition unknown and had never wired it up (3 phase) and so I took it home and wired it up. It works great. The only thing I haven’t got to work is the auto feed mechanism for tapping.

photo18609.jpg

2x4' 5/8" steel plates. We got 7 or 8 I think. I ended up with 3. Happen to have a water jet at work too soooo..

Free.99 is my favorite price!

20200306_172831.jpg

20200422_115520.jpg

20200724_104529.jpg

My neighbor works for a big electrician company, works on high amp new-construction type stuff. He gives me all kinds of stuff, he said they aren't allowed to sell left-over stuff they don't use, they have to "throw it away". A lot of the guys just take it home and give them away to friends. Tools, hardware, materials, whatever.

Crazy.

You would think the company could make a bit of money selling all the used or often un-used hardware and tools. I guess when you're huge, little shit like that don't matter.

My neighbor works for a big electrician company, works on high amp new-construction type stuff. He gives me all kinds of stuff, he said they aren't allowed to sell left-over stuff they don't use, they have to "throw it away". A lot of the guys just take it home and give them away to friends. Tools, hardware, materials, whatever.

Crazy.

You would think the company could make a bit of money selling all the used or often un-used hardware and tools. I guess when you're huge, little shit like that don't matter.

My brother in law is a union electrician. His dad was also. They worked on a big job in California years ago. When the job was done they threw everything away. They were gonna push a perfectly good miller welder/generator off the end of the pier. His dad told them he would discard of it in his backyard in Utah. He pulled it home. I was dumbfounded that big jobs did this.

Actually I just remembered I have saved th350s a np205 two np203s and a couple 14b a Bellview winch and 396 heads and 454 heads a rockwell table saw a couple of skill wormdrive saws and a wood stove. Hi my name is ______ and I have a problem.

Nothing but small shit as needed. Our scrapper thinks it's all gold. I've been wanting this stainless steel chain mail to make mud flaps out of. It's a 25' roll 5' wide. $360 is what they want for it. ( online it's $340 + shipping new:homer: ) Won't let me cut any off.:mad3: Been asking for 15 years now. I told the fucker it's been here forever. Just let people cut chunks off and it will be gone. His answer was ...Why, It has no shelf life. :homer:

Crazy.

It’s worked into the budget/job scope. Common practice around refinery jobs. It’s easier for them to just buy new stuff when needed rather than store and keep track of what they have. Know guys with a whole lot of pipe tools and welding cylinders.

Crazy.

My work used to just throw everything away until they found out how much the maintenance guys were making off of taking the stuff home. Now they send the scrap off for processing and we arent allowed to sell anything we take home. We can still get pretty much whatever we want, just have to fill out a form now.

Got 3 sections of unused concrete 18" concrete culvert from a job that had more than they needed. Also a pair of vent fans for my shop that were ordered in 110V single phase and should have been 480v 3 phase. No take backs.:smokin: I found a mobility chair curbside and took it home, stripped off all the parts and sold them on ebay. Made around $500 on that pick and I still have the motor and wheels. I've been yanking lumber out of the scrap bin at my house build and using it for concrete forms for small placements. I was made to throw out our aluminum ladders due to a new safety nazzi. I threw two of those bastards away in the back of my truck and let my guys have what they wanted. I pulled some flex culvert out of a brush pile in a creek and used it for drainage behind my big retaining wall. I'm always watching for good shit in the trash. :laughing: It's just ingrained in me from ancestors as far back as I can trace I think.

Our company cant sell anything to employees but they can give it away. Once a year or so they take the pile of crap and let people sign up for what they want, then they draw names and whoever gets picked can take it home. Ive gotten a horizontal bandsaw that was missing the vice. a big barrel fan with bent blades and my latest score was a near perfect laboratory oven with a broken door latch. Its perfect for small powdercoat jobs.

Plastic crates from work. They toss them but I take some, line with landscape fabric, fill with soil, and grow shit.

I work in a landfill, so safe to say stuff comes home occasionally.

just cashed in $370 in Gold/Silver that I have found.

Used to find approx $5 a day in change that fell off the trommel, but they tightned the belt under the trommel, so mostly just dimes fall out now.

Someone threw out a Warn 12k winch a while back. The motor was shot, but a local rebuilder can get a new one (or fix the old one?) For $125.

I worked driving a roll-off for 10 years and I spent 24 in the National Guard. I could write a freaking book on things I brought home!

Robin Air AC machine, 2 milk crates of M4 mags, one milk crate or M3 "Grease Gun" mags, 700ft of 6" PVC pipe NEW!, 2-Warn 18K winches still in palstic wrap, more tools than I can ever remember, 65 5X12 sheets of 1" thick plastic (made for divider walls in bathrooms), a 1972 Jeepster Commando!, a go cart, crossbow, 32" flatscreen TV, Enough building materials to build a 12X24 cabin (now on the X's property :-( ), a complete bead roller with all dies, an old school double hoop light bar, 250ft roll of #2 welding cable, 200# of mig wire, 100-10" Chop saw blades, a 10# bag of copper wire lugs, 4 250pc crimp on wire connector kits, 250pr military style battery terminals, a $500 office chair still in the box! On and on and on!

Forgot about the stainless sink I got from work. Small ding it took forever to find, couldn't use it. My old man has some massive electric motors his former job was just going to scrap, as far as I know they work fine.

6DC66243-D283-472A-8D74-5D86323D49AE.jpeg
5 or so years ago I was told about this tractor. Free if I’d haul it off dude just wanted it off the property. I meet the guy to look at it and find out he’s got a hot single daughter. I start dating his daughter instead of hauling off the tractor. Ended up moving into her house and finally took possession of the tractor. Now I mow her yard with it.

Only thing that comes to mind was back in high school. Someone dumped a set of mufflers in the bin. They were full chrome, and mirror finished. They weren't cheap. Swiped them and sold them to some kid for $250. Back then at ~16 years old, $250 was a big payout. :laughing:

But that's all I got.

5 or so years ago I was told about this tractor. Free if I’d haul it off dude just wanted it off the property. I meet the guy to look at it and find out he’s got a hot single daughter. I start dating his daughter instead of hauling off the tractor. Ended up moving into her house and finally took possession of the tractor. Now I mow her yard with it.

ActionFab has a proxy?

Top Back Refresh