What's new

Savannah Ga. tell me about it

rockmup

El Hefe
Member Number
Loc
Kanchanaburi Thailand
Headed through there next month. Any must do or see things ?
Time isn't an issue so we'd really like to not miss important things

They have a lot of haunted stuff to see on tours if they are still guiding them. If the bars are open you can carry drinks in the street. They turn the river green during St. Patty’s Day.

The historic district is where you'll want to kick around. They have squares you can walk to all over the place. Hit the bar, grab a big drink and head out. They've got some cool statues and monuments (if the BLM didn't mess them up). Ghost tours are kinda hokey but can be fun with the right crowd. Tybee Island isn't far away from Savannah. You can out there and hit the beach for a few. Me and the Mrs grabbed a styrofoam cooler from the gas station, filled it with Corona then grabbed some limes from the produce stand next to it. They have bench swings on the beach and you can sit there and watch the waves roll in while enjoying your beverage.

I haven't been there since 1994, but yeah the historic district with the Squares was almost an ideal city. If it's still the same, you can walk from square to square with a drink, enjoying the shade and looking at the architecture and statues. I've never met anyone who's been to Savannah who didn't like it. I've never been to the rest of the city but the parts I saw downtown were great, and the people totally awesome. Georgia is a lot of things, and IMO Savannah is the best of all of it combined into one downtown area. When we went there during St. Paddy's Day, as our ship was pulling up to the pier the local rock station that was DJ'ing the goings-on played "In the Navy" for us. Thanks Savannah. We got a good laugh out of it. Georgia really does have a lot of hot women, and many peaches gather in Savannah. Wear sunglasses if the missus gets jelly.

Can anybody from the area tell me why they cut these geometric patterns in the swamp? It looks man-made and some of them are called canals, but canals to where? It seems like this would promote salt-water incursion into the swamp, isn't that bad? And why would they take equipment out there to do it, or do they use a barge? What's this about?

3vDlK6o.jpg

Make damn sure ya get out to Tybee island for beach, booze, and grub.

Pizza and beer at Huc-A-Poos is a must! Beer at Doc's Bar is also mandatory.

I haven't been there since 1994, but yeah the historic district with the Squares was almost an ideal city. If it's still the same, you can walk from square to square with a drink, enjoying the shade and looking at the architecture and statues. I've never met anyone who's been to Savannah who didn't like it. I've never been to the rest of the city but the parts I saw downtown were great, and the people totally awesome. Georgia is a lot of things, and IMO Savannah is the best of all of it combined into one downtown area. When we went there during St. Paddy's Day, as our ship was pulling up to the pier the local rock station that was DJ'ing the goings-on played "In the Navy" for us. Thanks Savannah. We got a good laugh out of it. Georgia really does have a lot of hot women, and many peaches gather in Savannah. Wear sunglasses if the missus gets jelly.

Can anybody from the area tell me why they cut these geometric patterns in the swamp? It looks man-made and some of them are called canals, but canals to where? It seems like this would promote salt-water incursion into the swamp, isn't that bad? And why would they take equipment out there to do it, or do they use a barge? What's this about?

3vDlK6o.jpg

The lines are probably pipelines.

Sounds just like New Orleans , bummer.

We still have drive through Daiquiri shops here, its pretty awesome.

Last edited:
The water front historic district is absolutely worth the visit and even more so if you appreciate old world building styles. Great seafood there too. Take the tour its worth it. Theres now all kinds of sushi and liberal shop sections now and they have some nice things but I avoid.

The city has grown upo a lot in the last 35 years since I started gong . Its a cool place to hang despite the occasional SCAB student

Only been once when my cousin lived there a couple years ago. Go get a burger at B&D Burgers on Congress St if they're open, best one I've had in several years.

Uber, Lyft, ect or use public transportation if you can. Parking there is a nightmare.

Top Back Refresh