What's new

Savannah GA info?

jeepyj

Middlesex NY
Member Number
Loc
Middlesex NY
My wife and I are planning a vacation in Savannah, hopefully this spring. We plan on doing one of the tours to get an idea of what we want to see more of, then do our own walking tours to visit and relax. Suggestions requested of things you liked if you've been there or if you live in the area.

One specific thing we'd like to do is a tour of an old plantation/mansion. It's hard to tell what is available in a tour from the websites. We don't want to waste time going to a plantation tour if they show you the outside of the mansion and let you walk around outside. We'd like one that lets us see rooms inside and such. If we have to drive to Charleston to get that done, we will. Anyone know of a tour where you get to go inside and get a real experience?

Be careful where you walk. Due to lack of planning you have sketchy crime areas between sections of tourist friendly stuff.

Wet willies is good
Don't be near abercorn anywhere around rush hour
Tybee is pretty chill, when you get to the coast head left and there are some less crowded beaches (the main road pushes you right)
The only tours I did there were the dumb ghost shit and the Juliette Gordon Lowe house. No plantations. Savannah is about drinking

Go eat at maple Street biscuit company. The river front is not a bad time to go have drinks.

Wormsloe was a kinda neat place to visit and go on a short hike to see some old stuff in the trees. I don't know all the shops and restaurants and whatnot, but there are plenty of places to get some good food once you get there. It's a beautiful city and we enjoyed walking around a lot and just looking around. All the squares and stuff.

Preface: My perspective is from someone in their 20s with a g/f, no kids, and on a bit of a budget. Also we just showed up and were like, sure why the hell not. We were there for the town and not much else.

If you love history, Savannah has shitpots of it laying around everywhere.

There is a trolley (aka, buses dressed like trollies) that runs all over the damn place. Most of the "old houses" you'd like to see are actually there in town and on the trolley line. We got a trolley ticket and then tickets to see like, 2 or 3 houses. It was pretty cool. Also we did the "ghost tour" which was a touch campy but actually super fun. Family friendly. You ride around in a decorated trolley and a crazy old woman tells you ghost stories. Have a few brews before you go for added effect. Then go to a rando place and they show you all the creepy old shit they dredged up from the river.

The old houses are awesome as they tell all about the history and the first settlements. They love all that 1600s and 1700s crap. And they do it well.

https://www.trolleytours.com/savannah

For the trolley tours, the concierge at the hotel cut us a deal for the trolley, 2-3 houses, and the ghost tour.

Also the trolley tour "main terminal" (or whatever) is a museum I can't remember the name of. Its pretty legit. We did it on our way out of the city and I regret that as we were rushed to get up the road. Its pretty awesome.

The city is broken up by "parks" and "squares". If you love The Photography, they got it for you.

Fuck Paula Dean's restaurant. Its always elbow to ass and you can waste all day waiting in line. Literally all the restaurants there are good. If you see a restaurant with a line, keep walking.

Try to get a hotel as close to East River St as possible. That is where all the good shit is. Basically you park your car and walk/trolley everywhere. Also that trolley is actually decent overall transportation around the city. E River st is the main drag there with all the everything. Its great. Can get busy but we never had trouble getting a table or getting fucked with.

We did stay once at the Mariott Savannah Riverfront. Actually kinda far away from everything but a great hotel. Cool to sit there and watch the big ships come on. There is a "water taxi" but its kinda useless and janky AF.

I think the further away you go from E River st, the less safe it gets but everything in the historic district is pretty safe. We drunk walked around all through there, no problem. We did see a decent police presence on E river st. They know where their paycheck comes from. LOL

Side quest: Fort Pulaski outside the city. Cool historical fort, if you like historical forts

Beaches: Nearest is Tybee Island and they can go fuck themselves. They know they are the closest beach and they know they can fuck you. Parking sucks balls and they have full time dedicated parking nazis to get you. Paid parking lasts like, 90 minutes. If you do want to go to the beach there, download whatever parking app they have beforehand and get setup. And just plan on remote paying. Also the food sucks and is overpriced.

SCAD is nearby and you'd see some students wasting dad's money. But they were never a problem. Your main problem are going to be shitheads from Atlanta coming down to let loose. Savannah is a bit of a party town so getting about 8pm at night is when the shit show starts. Either retire or saddle up. We did both and had fun at the bars and whatnot.

We went this year for the first time, had a great time. We stayed downtown at the Holiday Inn https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hote...teldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-US-_-SAVMK

Bad- Tybee Island, solid meh. Its just a junky little tourist trap and the beaches suck ass with shitty parking. We did have some great but expensive tacos.

Good- Trolley tours, get the on and off pass. Great way to see the city and then you can go back and see the things that interest you.

I didn't forget this. We're setting up hotels now. Great info in here.

There is an Italian restaurant within blocks of the Holiday Inn, S.E. of it. Best meal I've ever had in a restaurant and pretty cheap. Super small and family run.

My wife and I are planning a vacation in Savannah, hopefully this spring. We plan on doing one of the tours to get an idea of what we want to see more of, then do our own walking tours to visit and relax. Suggestions requested of things you liked if you've been there or if you live in the area.

One specific thing we'd like to do is a tour of an old plantation/mansion. It's hard to tell what is available in a tour from the websites. We don't want to waste time going to a plantation tour if they show you the outside of the mansion and let you walk around outside. We'd like one that lets us see rooms inside and such. If we have to drive to Charleston to get that done, we will. Anyone know of a tour where you get to go inside and get a real experience?

Can’t speak for Savannah but Middleton Place, Drayton Hall, and Magnolia in Charleston all offer guided house tours and self guided garden/grounds tours. Highly recommend if you have never been.

Check out the Mercer House and eat breakfast at The Breakfast Club on Tybee.

Top Back Refresh