What's new

Samurai forged pistons

Baldy

Member Number
Done a bunch of research on forged pistons for my G13A Sammi engine so far no luck. Does anyone know where i can find or get made forged pistons?

I've heard of people putting Honda pistons in their Suzuki engines.

Why? :laughing:

You just want to spend thousands on a 1.3, just to make 75 hp? I mean maybe if you built for boost, you could do OK. But seems like a silly way to spend money.

Why? :laughing:

You just want to spend thousands on a 1.3, just to make 75 hp? I mean maybe if you built for boost, you could do OK. But seems like a silly way to spend money.
Stock 1.6 would still kick it's ass.

I'd almost consider a 4.3.
I thought the hot 'Zuki ticket was the ford 60deg V6? I suppose the GM 60deg 6 could be a viable option too for packaging, late 2.8/3.1L are practically free and aren't as bad as many think they are. 4.0L pushrod ford would be all the power you'd want in a Sami.
Want a RWD configured 3.1L GM? Isuzu put them in stuff in the early 90's, Rodeos and some pickups.

I thought the hot 'Zuki ticket was the ford 60deg V6? I suppose the GM 60deg 6 could be a viable option too for packaging, late 2.8/3.1L are practically free and aren't as bad as many think they are. 4.0L pushrod ford would be all the power you'd want in a Sami.
Want a RWD configured 3.1L GM? Isuzu put them in stuff in the early 90's, Rodeos and some pickups.
/shrug

I was under the impression a 4.3 was a common swap and the power/weight ratio was one of the better choices .

/shrug

I was under the impression a 4.3 was a common swap and the power/weight ratio was one of the better choices .
Well, I'm not in the 'Zuk demo, being over 6' tall and over 200#:laughing:, though I'd really like one. I've always followed what they did as I also subscribe to light and small in a wheeling rig. I remember they used to offer kits (probably still do) for the Ford cologne engine as it was the biggest engine that could be packaged relatively easy in a Sami. I'm certain with enough Milwaukee massaging that a 90deg V6 would be fine. I think any V6 would be better than a bigger 4 cylinder as length is at a premium if you want to package the radiator/fan assembly inside the body. It's your rig, do what you want.
As I'm a budget, junkyard build kind of guy, I'd find a 3.1L GM, pair it with a AX5 bellhousing and input shaft from a Jeep, install both on a G-series Toyota transmission, and run the Toy t-case. Almost all of these parts are practically free in my neck-of-the-woods, and would be fairly reliable and easy to get parts for. Packaging would be easier than most any other junkyard option.
Of course, I'd not be adverse to head studded 1.6L Tracker swap with ebay T15 knock-off turbo installed...:smokin:

/shrug

I have a large amount of hate for the 4.3. Those are the shittiest motors ever. What happens when the bean counters win over the engineers.

I have a large amount of hate for the 4.3. Those are the shittiest motors ever. What happens when the bean counters win over the engineers.

:laughing:

One of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. They might actually be the best trail engine there is. Cheap, plentiful, fairly light, just enough power, bolts to any decent trans.

I would never put one in a zuk though, not sure why, just think sami's need 4 cyl's.

:laughing:

One of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. They might actually be the best trail engine there is. Cheap, plentiful, fairly light, just enough power, bolts to any decent trans.

I would never put one in a zuk though, not sure why, just think sami's need 4 cyl's.
It's a 90deg V engine. It won't fit in many vehicles without hacking up something

It's a 90 deg V6 with open headbolt holes and shitty fuel injection options.
That's just icing on the cake.

Except it's been put in about every vehicle :laughing:

If they fit in a Sami, it will fit in just about anything.
People have put SBFs in Samurais. Just because they fit doesn't mean they fit well.

I could fit a 460 or an IDI in my Ranger. Would have to hack up the firewall and wouldn't have shit for space to package any suspension worth having.

That's just icing on the cake.

People have put SBFs in Samurais. Just because they fit doesn't mean they fit well.

I could fit a 460 or an IDI in my Ranger. Would have to hack up the firewall and wouldn't have shit for space to package any suspension worth having.

They do actually fit somewhat decent in a Sami and really well in a Toyota. The biggest problem in the Sami is the trans tunnel is built for something a little bigger than a fosters can :laughing:

Comes in a set of 4 :confused: The swift dohc motors supposedly had forged rods and crank.
I've heard the Swift GTI and the Geo pistons will work but nobody can get me any hard info on it, it's all hearsay and those pistons are pricey so before I plunk down $700 I'd like to be sure. Since the GTI has a different stroke than the A engine I don't see how the pistons can work due to the pin location being different.
And this is for a boosted engine, I'm currently running a Camden blower on my stock 1.3 at 12 pounds of boost. This engine is getting tired and am going to build my spare 1.3 for the blower then dial up the boost.

I've heard the Swift GTI and the Geo pistons will work but nobody can get me any hard info on it, it's all hearsay and those pistons are pricey so before I plunk down $700 I'd like to be sure. Since the GTI has a different stroke than the A engine I don't see how the pistons can work due to the pin location being different.
And this is for a boosted engine, I'm currently running a Camden blower on my stock 1.3 at 12 pounds of boost. This engine is getting tired and am going to build my spare 1.3 for the blower then dial up the boost.

The days of having all kinds of crap on hand to see if it fits and works and compare those sure were fun. the year I spent with an 01 tracker the 2 L In that sure did sing I think that's what I would want. But the 2.7 in the Vitara I Drove a few times it's pretty sweet too. I owned a 4.3 fuck that 3/4 bastard piece of shit.

Well, I'm not in the 'Zuk demo, being over 6' tall and over 200#:laughing:, though I'd really like one. I've always followed what they did as I also subscribe to light and small in a wheeling rig. I remember they used to offer kits (probably still do) for the Ford cologne engine as it was the biggest engine that could be packaged relatively easy in a Sami. I'm certain with enough Milwaukee massaging that a 90deg V6 would be fine. I think any V6 would be better than a bigger 4 cylinder as length is at a premium if you want to package the radiator/fan assembly inside the body. It's your rig, do what you want.
As I'm a budget, junkyard build kind of guy, I'd find a 3.1L GM, pair it with a AX5 bellhousing and input shaft from a Jeep, install both on a G-series Toyota transmission, and run the Toy t-case. Almost all of these parts are practically free in my neck-of-the-woods, and would be fairly reliable and easy to get parts for. Packaging would be easier than most any other junkyard option.
Of course, I'd not be adverse to head studded 1.6L Tracker swap with ebay T15 knock-off turbo installed...:smokin:
I'm >6' and >200lb and I fit pretty well in it. I put in some different seats so I could get a little more leg room, and my shoulder kind of sticks out the door :grinpimp: but it's actually not bad at all until you are like 6'3 or so or have weird proportions.

I have a 2.8 GM v6 in the garage I keep threatening to put in my Sami if the 1.3 turds out on me. 135 hp stock, could be built to put out closer to 200 and not near as bad a weight penalty as a 4.3. There was a dude on pirate that had one with a t5 and d300 in his zuk, IIRC and he said it fit great.

Sorry OP no idea on forged pistons:flipoff2:

I'm >6' and >200lb and I fit pretty well in it. I put in some different seats so I could get a little more leg room, and my shoulder kind of sticks out the door :grinpimp: but it's actually not bad at all until you are like 6'3 or so or have weird proportions.
6'4" 230 and 35" inseam. I wheel a Samurai for years. :laughing:

I sold a rolling chassis to a dude that rolled his. He was around 6'4" and 300#. He looked like he was wearing the Sami :lmao:. When he was loading it on the trailer the steering box was broken. When it got to the front it was almost falling off the driver's side. So he picked up the front enough to side it over.

I was under the impression that 1.0l and 1.3l pistons would interchange and the 1.3l flat tops were a set of 4 1.0l pistons. Maybe I’m misremembering.

I have a 2.8 GM v6 in the garage I keep threatening to put in my Sami if the 1.3 turds out on me. 135 hp stock, could be built to put out closer to 200 and not near as bad a weight penalty as a 4.3. There was a dude on pirate that had one with a t5 and d300 in his zuk, IIRC and he said it fit great.

Sorry OP no idea on forged pistons:flipoff2:

6'4" 230 and 35" inseam. I wheel a Samurai for years. :laughing:
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
I may just be weirdly shaped, though I’ve only ever drove someone else’s Sami so I’ve never had the opportunity to change seats.
Off the subject, I’ve had little 70s-90s jap and American and one German pickups all my driving life. All my friends wonder at my ability to squeeze in and be comfortable in them.
And now for a list no one asked for :grinpimp:. My hierarchy from worst to best IME (all standard cab):
Rabbit pickup
1980-older LUV
Courier
93-up Ranger
79-83 Toyota
81-87 Isuzu /LUV
D21 Nissan/Datsun
84-92 Ranger
94-up S10
82-93 S10
88-95 Isuzu
84-88 Toyota
Hardbody Nissan
87-93 D50/Mighty Max
89-95 Toyota
79-86 D50
List of what I’ve owned and drove (which is most of this list:eek:), or spent considerable amount of time driving. I’m 6’3” with a 34” inseam so long torso in comparison. What’s funny to me, at least in standard cab variety, Jap trucks got bigger with one exception (d50) and American trucks got smaller, at least with regard to sitting in, as the new models came out. 79-86 D50 will remain my favorite pickup to get in an sit down in the true “mini truck “ variety from this era.

Samurai's fit big guys well actually. Much better than Toyotas. I know a few guys who were ~6'2" or a little more who loved sami's.

Samurai's fit big guys well actually. Much better than Toyotas. I know a few guys who were ~6'2" or a little more who loved sami's.
I guess the Sami should be on my radar then. My 83 Toyota was never super easy to get into, I made it worse when I installed the 95 rodeo seats. They do provide some nice side bolsters for when I’m running without doors though, and once you’re in it it’s not too bad.

I guess the Sami should be on my radar then. My 83 Toyota was never super easy to get into, I made it worse when I installed the 95 rodeo seats. They do provide some nice side bolsters for when I’m running without doors though, and once you’re in it it’s not too bad.

I have both, imagine the floor being ~8" lower and being able to slide the seat back as far as you want 🤯

Yep, the Ford 2.8, 2.9 and 4.0 are all 60° engines and fit nicely in the Samurais.

The 2.8 and 2.9 both have their issues, but they're not bad and far better than the Chevy 2.8.

The 4.0 is the best of the three and they make good power. The downside to all three is the weight, they are cast iron blocks and heads, so they are heavy for v-6s.

/shrug

As stated above, the 4.3 is a 90° engine and it is wide. A very poor fit for the Sami engine bay, but I've seen a number of them done.

The 2.8s fit nicely in a Sami, but they are still a sucky 2.8 with the counter balance shaft.

I've always wanted to do the little Duratec 2.5 V-6 that was in Ford cars, very light weight, a buddy and I had lifted one that was laying in the junkyard.

Another hot v-6 would be the Duratec 3.0, all aluminum and the baby Jag version put out 232HP. It was somewhat popular with the sand buggy crowd for awhile due to it's light weight and good power output.

The Ford SHO 3.4 V-8 used the same bore and stroke as the 2.5 Duratec, just two more cylinders added, so it would've been a cool swap too. iirc the SHO 3.4s had cam issues.

Top Back Refresh