What's new

Salt Lick Restaurant, Driftwood, TX?

300sniper

Gun Plumber
Member Number
Loc
Greenwood, CA
Anyone been?

I’ve seen pictures of the Salt Lick restaurant cooker all over the internet for years. I’ve always wanted to go. I’ll be in Dallas area for a week with no hard plans. Is it worth a 6 hour round trip to check it out? I know nothing about Texas, but if there’s anything to see along the way, or in Austin, it may be a good day trip?

Short answer is NO. If I was in Austin then yea it is worth going to. The BBQ is Ok and the atmosphere was good and we have been a half dozen times but I wouldn't drive that far just to go there. If you were in the area or passing through yep. There is better BBQ closer and other things to keep you occupied other than getting anywhere close the the Austin sewer, unless you are into that thing. :grinpimp:

I went a couple years ago when I was in the area for work. I thought it was ok, but we went to Franklin the day before so I probably didn’t give it a fair shot.

I wouldn't drive 6hrs for it.

Hell no.....my experience there was awful!!! Food was shit and service even worse. Guess I had high hopes. Wife was first to comment on how bad it was.....

Also....Goldees bbq is in fort worth area I believe....rated number 1 last year I believe....

I had Hard 8 in Dallas several months ago. It was good. I wouldn't drive to Austin for Salt Lick.

I was in Austin about 10 or so years ago and drove out to Salt Lick. It was so stupid busy it wasn't even funny. Something like a 2 hour wait. We left.

Is this the picture you're talking about?

Salt Lick 13.JPG

Find a run down looking place selling bbq on the side of the road in a small town. It’s better if the building is semi falling down, they only deal
In cash, and there are likely no health codes being followed. You will find better bbq there than 99% of the “best bbq in TX” places.

Most places are way over hyped and last served good bbq when the original owner was alive.

Find a run down looking place selling bbq on the side of the road in a small town. It’s better if the building is semi falling down, they only deal
In cash, and there are likely no health codes being followed. You will find better bbq there than 99% of the “best bbq in TX” places.

Most places are way over hyped and last served good bbq when the original owner was alive.
This pretty much holds true in every BBQ hotspot around the country.

You're generally looking for some crusty old bastard who could be 45 or he could be 80 or anywhere in between. You can't really tell. He can hold a full conversation with a cigarette dangling from his lips. If he's wearing overalls that's a good sign.

if you want the best part of Salt Lick, order their Restaurant Style Salsa online.

I like their BBQ, but as most have said, you can find equally good anywhere else.

Go by Coopers in north Ft Worth, and get a beef rib. Decent bbq and closer. There used to be a bbq place in Ft Worth called the smoke pit that had good scenery but they either moved or closed.

My trip was cut real short due to the local wildfire, so I was in Texas less than a day. Less than 5 hours outside the airport, actually.

But I did get a chance to spend $50 at the DFW Salt Lick.
Probably should have gone to the Chili’s or TGI Fridays, what ever else was there…

My trip was cut real short due to the local wildfire, so I was in Texas less than a day. Less than 5 hours outside the airport, actually.

But I did get a chance to spend $50 at the DFW Salt Lick.
Probably should have gone to the Chili’s or TGI Fridays, what ever else was there…
The one in the airport? If so, yeah I made that mistake once. Once. I get that airport food is dumbed down but I can't believe they'd put their name on that trash food. I have zero desire to go to their actual restaurant because of that awful experience. Whatever they're making off of that joint it isn't worth the beating their reputation is taking from it.
Yeah, Chili's is better than that.

It’s awesome. I wouldn’t make that drive for it.

Was it that weird thin sauce that tastes like vinegar mixed with rendered fat? If so, that’s what really wrecked it for me.

Coopers has the water like sauce.

Salt lick is pretty thick comparatively speaking.

Both are good. I'll say the coopers in llano is leaps and bounds better than other locations.

6740004235_d5d7701d3d_c.jpg

Coopers has the water like sauce.

Salt lick is pretty thick comparatively speaking.

Both are good. I'll say the coopers in llano is leaps and bounds better than other locations.

6740004235_d5d7701d3d_c.jpg
That’s the stuff. Need to order a couple of bottles one of these days.

I went to the Woodshed in FW years ago. I remember it had some damn good food and some better "scenery" right off the river. I would go there again before any place in Austin.

Is Woodshed still worthwhile?

Top Back Refresh