What's new

Safety gear requirements?

Deleted

Returning to the drivers seat of a wheeler for the first time in 14 years and need to know what requirements events usually have regarding safety gear.
I'm stocking my jeep with the usual:
Tow strap
Shackles
Tie downs
Fire extinguisher
Hi-lift
Med kit
...and of course my own piece of personal safety gear...

What else should I keep on hand for trail safety that is a typical requirement? Haven't done an event - even as a passenger - in a good 5 years, so really looking for an update from those in the know. Yes, I've looked at a handful of event pages but they're big focus is covid requirements. Doubt hand sanitizer and 6ft social distance will help much during a trail/rig issue, though ya never know. :grinpimp:

I find my self reaching for a kinetic strap or rope every time I need to pull some one. More effective and easier on parts. The few times I've grabbed a tow strap, I've regretted it. Only really use the tow strap as a winch extension anymore if I can help it.

The other thing that gets used constantly is a hitch receiver shackle mount. But that's because half the people I wheel with refuse to get recovery points. Soft shackles are good to have as well.

I find my self reaching for a kinetic strap or rope every time I need to pull some one.
I've looked at some of these with varying reviews. Do you have a brand you'd recommend? The reviews I see are complaining about mold and signs of strain after one or two uses. Mold isn't a concern in AZ if kept clean and dry, but strain/stretched out would be.
Also, great idea on shackle hitch!

I've looked at some of these with varying reviews. Do you have a brand you'd recommend? The reviews I see are complaining about mold and signs of strain after one or two uses. Mold isn't a concern in AZ if kept clean and dry, but strain/stretched out would be.
Also, great idea on shackle hitch!
I've got ARB straps in my jeep and truck. Don't have any issues with mold on them here in Florida, but I try not to put them away too damp. Never had an issue with strain. The rope style may be more prone to those issues. Just don't use one for a sxs on a 1 ton truck.

Not just one fire extinguisher, but multiple. At least one in cab, in easy reach of driver/passenger. And at least one external, easy to reach from bystanders. Also, buy the biggest ones you can reasonably fit. I've got 2 - 5-lb ones outside, and a 2.5-lb inside. Some sort of spill kit is good to have as well.

Not just one fire extinguisher, but multiple. At least one in cab, in easy reach of driver/passenger. And at least one external, easy to reach from bystanders. Also, buy the biggest ones you can reasonably fit. I've got 2 - 5-lb ones outside, and a 2.5-lb inside. Some sort of spill kit is good to have as well.
I went with a couple of these, No idea how well they work, Hope to never have to.

I went with a couple of these, No idea how well they work, Hope to never have to.

I have one in cab mounted on door with a quick fist.

The 4x4 events I participate in generally require a helmet, 5-points, hard-roof, fuel-cell, and fire-extinguisher. :dustin:

I was browsing and found this small extinguisher that you place in your engine compartment. It automatically goes off in the event of an engine fire. Thought it was clever...and then doubted it...and now figure maybe it would be a decent "just in case" in addition to a regular one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-174026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-174026_Chrome.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 22
Not sure about “required” but I carry an on board air compressor, air hose, inflator, deflator, snatch strap, tree strap, receiver shackle, soft shackle, steel shackles, snatch block, hobbit shovel, folding go treads, fire extinguisher, boo boo kit, trauma kit (complete with tourniquet), survival kit (knife, collapsible water bottles, water treatment tablets, lighter, space blankets), 2-way radios, flashlight, hand tools, ratchet straps, gorilla tape, baling wire, a 2-3 day backpack, tape measure, pens, cash, bug spray, a DeWalt 20v chainsaw, bar oil, and a 9mm with an extra mag in my DD. When I’m going off roading I throw in a cooler and some traction boards.

Seems like a lot but Land Rovers actually have storage compartments. A small pelican case and the chainsaw are all that ride in the back.

I've been super happy with the Mechanix brand leather gloves.
I use the shit out of them. I even drive with them on.
I've been wearing the Tillman Deerskin driving gloves. I wear them at work till they are broke in, then I take them home.

Not sure about “required” but I carry an on board air compressor, air hose, inflator, deflator, snatch strap, tree strap, receiver shackle, soft shackle, steel shackles, snatch block, hobbit shovel, folding go treads, fire extinguisher, boo boo kit, trauma kit (complete with tourniquet), survival kit (knife, collapsible water bottles, water treatment tablets, lighter, space blankets), 2-way radios, flashlight, hand tools, ratchet straps, gorilla tape, baling wire, a 2-3 day backpack, tape measure, pens, cash, bug spray, a DeWalt 20v chainsaw, bar oil, and a 9mm with an extra mag in my DD. When I’m going off roading I throw in a cooler and some traction boards.

Seems like a lot but Land Rovers actually have storage compartments. A small pelican case and the chainsaw are all that ride in the back.
very good list.. especially bringing up the bailing wire and duct tape..

just one other thing, if you are gonna go mudding, have at least one person bring a small ice chest with water and some rags.. to wipe the mud chunks off your windshield when neccessary.. with something extra for getting the big chunks off the hard to reach middle of your windshield..

Top Back Refresh