What's new

safe dehumidifiers

FlatLander

Red Skull Member
Member Number
What are you using?

I have an Eva-dry, but there has to be something better. Don't want to drill any holes, so battery op. or re-chargeable is preferred. 36 gun safe in the basement. Not ideal, but it's where it has to be for now. Temps down there range from 50s to 70s, humidity 30s to mid 50s. Internal temps and humidity aren't ever much lower than exterior. Would like something that can get the humidity down, especially on the 50% days.

I started out with a pair of Eva-Dry E-333 I was pleased until one of them about started a fire.

Might be my fault, I would just leave one plugged in 24/7 and swap it out for one in the safe when needed. Still have discolored heat marks on the wall above the outlet from it.

I ditched the Eva-Dry and bought a pair of these from Midway.

These recharge/dry out in the oven. I've had one in the safe since April and it's still good, haven't even opened the second one yet.

I have something very similar to that canister from midway. I got it at Tractor Supply or something many years ago. I recharge it in the oven once or twice a year. It seems to work just fine, I never find rust on any of the back-row rifles, that only get brought out once a decade it seems.

My safe is in the house, but temps are generally in the mid 70’s and humidity inside the house is rarely below 50%. It’s 82% outside now, 56% inside. I’d planned to buy a golden rod but haven’t seen any rust on my guns yet. You can always buy the damp rid desiccants if you’re wanting an easy option

Not sure if my dehumidifier is doing anything except using electricity. I have a Golden Rod screwed to the floor in the closet where the safe is. It is very VERY humid here and I haven't seen any rust, yet. Is it because of the dehumidifier, IDK?

^^^ What I'd always done until I got a decent safe. Still keep up on it somewhat regularly.

Was 75° 65~70 humid in the basement yesterday. 70° 59 humid in the safe.

I have several canister types. A couple my gun safes are in the garage, it gets hot in there, but I monitor humidity in the safes. I swap canisters a lot and recharge. No problems

low wattage light bulb if you can run 'lectricity into it

A great addition to any kind of dehumidifier is Bullfrog Rust Blocker Shields. I put two in a safe and alternate changing them out every 9 months.

Bullfrog Emitter Shield

Screenshot 2022-07-23 110049.jpg

I have Browning Goldenrods in my safes. One has been in there for 20 years now and no issues. Two safes are in the garage.

I dont have a safe, but rather a closet. Just use the hanging damprid bags and swap them out as needed. Keep the humidity very low by the gauge I have in there.

For a while I could only find the scented ones. Didn't like it at first but now its kind of nice not smelling like a bunch of milsurp web gear when I go in.

I use a golden rod, pro breeze moisture absorber (it was free) and silicone gun sleeves. I'm in California so it's overkill, but if I had to choose just one it would be the sleeves for both long gun and hand gun.

I started out with a pair of Eva-Dry E-333 I was pleased until one of them about started a fire.

Might be my fault, I would just leave one plugged in 24/7 and swap it out for one in the safe when needed. Still have discolored heat marks on the wall above the outlet from it.

I ditched the Eva-Dry and bought a pair of these from Midway.

These recharge/dry out in the oven. I've had one in the safe since April and it's still good, haven't even opened the second one yet.
Those Eva - Dry units are only ment to be plugged in overnight night , i have used them for years ! i fried one as well , forgot about it and left it plugged in for a month .

Goldenrod. The best one I ever had was from an old piano that I drilled into a security container and sealed with fire proof caulk. It kept everything in there toasty warm. Unfortunately I broke it when moving the safe. It was replaced by a smaller golden rod.

Top Back Refresh