What's new

Saddle Hunting

wvracer821

Member Number
Loc
Morgantown, WV
Any one use one? if so, do you have any suggestions? I've been getting back into bow hunting this year and think I might want a saddle for next season. I've been doing some internet browsing and they are a little spendy but I'm really into the portability and versatility of them. I don't have my own land to hunt so I'm always between a few different locations weather its friends or public land.

Looked into it a few years back. Seems like you could spend as little or as much as wanted. I was looking at tethrd at the time. Seems like the kits were $300-400.

a good friend i hunt with has a tethrd phantom and thats the only one ive really got to put my hands on. he loves it and has got some nice bucks out of it. i figured a full setup would run me just shy of $1k by the time i got the climbing sticks, platform and all the rigging.

Probably so. I already have a ol man alumalite cts climber that doesn’t get used much, so I didn’t feel like dropping money on another setup.

I've been out a couple times this year with a saddle. Never really liked fixed stand hunting so it was a good upgrade for a ground hunter like me. I like that you can stalk to a good spot and setup pretty easily. Tried a climber once but didnt like it much and known a couple buddies who got hurt with old or screwed up climbers. Past experience with climbing, rapelling, etc really help with the knots and basic understanding of what you are doing

The money does get annoying - the basic saddle, bridge, tether is one thing and pretty fixed. But getting your butt up the tree has options - Sticks, single stick, spikes (if you can use them), SRT/DRT, steps (at least 2-3 varieties). Everyone will tell you to try a few, but each one is a couple hundred bucks to try :mad3:

Right now I am mostly doing SRT ascending or single stick. Basics of each

SRT -
You need:
Rope (recommend 1.5-2x the height you want to get to). 8mm or larger static. RWRope is a good source
Ascender - I tried a bunch of options and settled on just a single peztl hand ascender and a foot loop. Chest/foot did not work well for me
Belay/Capture device - After trying all the cheap options (prusik, etc) I broke down and got a grigri+. Made it much easier
Throw bag and line - I made a throw bad with some duck cloth, lead shot and webbing. You can buy them. For line I use 550 paracord and always have at least 2-3 lengths of it. If I find a good spot I will leave a pre-tie

Basics - Find a good tree with a crotch or limb - you want it about 4-6ft above where you want to hunt from. Lots of info on arborist sites but the general rules are a wide crotch is stronger and the limb should be at least as big around as your upper arm.
Use throw bag to get line over tree limb as close to the tree as possible
Tie double figure 8 on the end of the climbing line and pass the free end through it. Keep the throw line tied to the 8 so you can pull it free. Pull the line up to choke the limb
Ascend the line with the ascender and belay device
Once at top pull up your platform, bow, pack, etc. (you can use the throw line for double up)
Hunt
Lower your gear
Rappel to the bottom on the belay device
Use the throw line to pull down the climbing rope
(optional) leave a loop in the tree of paracord if its a good spot

Single stick -
Fuck it, this will be a pain to describe - just look up some youtube videos.

Without spending a pile more cash I've found this will get me everywhere I have tried to be and has a lot of overlap. You need a climb height rope for either, I have a single stick with a platform so that doubles up, etc.

Play with this shit before you get in the woods. Preferably with someone nearby with a camera and phone when you fuck up. I got my ass stuck up a tree practicing and had to tie off to a branch to free the rope so I could get back down. I was able to self recover and had the extra line on me, but if I hadn't someone was there to throw me crap I forgot

thats awesome feed back and i appreciate it. I was thinking about just getting a set of climbing sticks for now until i get more comfortable. Ive used a set of spikes a hand full of times and i heavily considered that route with a makeshift tree squeeze for climbing

Sticks and a linesmans are probably the simplest setup if you aren't familiar with climbing knots and techniques. Also depends on the trees in your area - around here the straight trees are all pines, which I avoid. The hardwoods have a good number of branches and forks that just sticks can have a harder time with.

There are a few ways to tie sticks on. I got quickly tired of anything involving ratchet or cambuckles and would suggest trying either cam cleats ($$$) or a button with daisy chain spliced amsteel.

This is my 3rd season with a saddle. There are not a lot of big, thick and tall trees around my area, and standing on a platform with the wind howling makes me nervous as hell. The same tree with the same wind is easy peasy hanging in a saddle. I use wilderness steps when I run and gun but have sticks pre-established in my repeat stand locations. The wilderness steps are a little bit heavy and I'm slow while using them but carrying multipe sticks through the woods sucks. There are lots of other options to get into a tree, as mentioned above.

fwiw I primarily hunt with a bow or crossbow. So far, being able to move around to take a shot has not been a problem, it just takes a bit of practice. I could hang off of a tree wearing a saddle a hell of a lot longer than I could sit on a platform stand.

Just blows my mind that people don't hunt from the ground, on foot.

Would loose my mind being tied to a tree all day

I hunt from a ground blind also, as well as impromptu ground stands, follow fresh tracks in the snow, still hunt, etc. Back in California I bowhunted the Yolla Bolla, ground stands, still hunt, spot and stalk. You could literally see 100 miles. Out here in Michigan it's a completely different game.

Ground blind, pill box style

20220920_095954.jpg

Top Back Refresh