What's new

Ryobi tools upgrade to ????

D_JEEPER

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Member Number
Ok, generic question I know, but I am needing to get away from Ryobi tools. I need something with a little more ass to it. Looking mainly for mechanic type things, not so much woodworking. 1/2" impact, 3/8" ratchet, drill, etc etc.

Since I have been out of the scene for quite a while, what is the go-to without unnecessarily murdering my credit card (i.e. not looking for snapon)?

I have been eyeballing Milwaukee M18 brushless tools, but again, I don't know real-world application reviews.

I went Ryobi to Milwaukee M12 & M18. Very happy, mix of fuel and non fuel depending on tool. I'd do just M18 if you're only getting a drill / big impact. M12 is nice for my 3/8 impact and 3/8 electric ratchet. They get used the most because of their compact size.

Edit: Don't get the right angle impact. It sucks balls. I didn't see the specs were 90 ft*lb or something stupid low. It won't stall out like a powered ratchet so no way to break things loose.

Work has Dewalt, they're fine.

Biggest is to pick a color and stay there.

Last edited:
I went Ryobi to Milwaukee M12 & M18. Very happy, mix of fuel and non fuel depending on tool. I'd do just M18 if you're only getting a drill / big impact. M12 is nice for my 3/8 impact and 3/8 electric ratchet. They get used the most because of their compact size.

Edit: Don't get the right angle impact. It sucks balls. I didn't see the specs were 90 ft*lb or something stupid low. It won't stall out like a powered ratchet so no way to break things loose.

Work has Dewalt, they're fine.

Biggest is to pick a color and stay there.
Yeah kind of why I was asking because I know mix and match is no bueno.
All I know if my Ryobi stuff wore out quick so I am pretty much done with them.

I run DeWalt.
I'd suggest Milwaukee unless you have friends who run yellow. The first of my friends I wheel and race with went yellow so most of the rest of us followed so we can share batteries and tools across pits and cars regardless of who is doing what.

Milwaukee comes out with the best stuff first and DeWalt follows up half a year later.

I have an old yellow 18v that will still twist you off of a ladder
20+ years, and I still am not bitching

....like an old XR400, always does the job :grinpimp:

Your not gonna end up with 100% the same color.

So it doesn't matter.

I have 90% plus yellow. Red seems cool. Got some old ryobi that's still working.

I doubt you'd go wrong with red or yellow. I have yellow similar to Mr. Mindless - because friends had them and we trade tools back and forth. The only issues I've had were with two batteries and a chainsaw. The 60V/6ah batteries were replaced under warranty. All I had to do was give them the serial numbers and they sent me new ones. I had to take the chainsaw to the local service center and they sent it back it back after replacing a switch and some other components for no charge under warranty.

I have to say I'd look at HF blue if I was starting from scratch considering the prices and the 5/3 warranty (tools/batteries & chargers). They don't have the scope of tools red or blue do, but they seem to be adding new ones constantly.

I have an old yellow 18v that will still twist you off of a ladder
20+ years, and I still am not bitching

....like an old XR400, always does the job :grinpimp:
Yes and as good as they were in their day, they suck compared to anything modern (BLDC LiO/CRF450).
And that 1/4 impact that works better and won't twist you off a ladder.

M12 has some really nice compact tools. I stayed yellow for everything else. M18 is different platform than M12, don't see benefit going red/red for sake of red/red. There is a lot of overlap and variations of same tool in red linep.

Yes and as good as they were in their day, they suck compared to anything modern (BLDC LiO/CRF450).
And that 1/4 impact that works better and won't twist you off a ladder.

M12 has some really nice compact tools. I stayed yellow for everything else. M18 is different platform than M12, don't see benefit going red/red for sake of red/red. There is a lot of overlap and variations of same tool in red linep.
except the XR is still on the original top end :grinpimp:

the new stuff doesn't seem to last as long, I could be wrong, just my observation

For automotive stuff you can't beat the red ones. I have red and yellow at home (Both kinds of tools, country and western!) and I like both but Milwaukee serves the automotive stuff much better. I do prefer my Dewalt 60v grinder over my M18 because it's got a trigger instead of a paddle switch.

For automotive stuff you can't beat the red ones. I have red and yellow at home (Both kinds of tools, country and western!) and I like both but Milwaukee serves the automotive stuff much better. I do prefer my Dewalt 60v grinder over my M18 because it's got a trigger instead of a paddle switch.

Yes, you can beat the red ones...most of the yellow ones are higher performing these days (per TTC and other testers). Red has also had some quality issues of late. Also, red is owned by TTI which is chinese, where as yellow is owned by SBD which is american.

Yes, you can beat the red ones...most of the yellow ones are higher performing these days (per TTC and other testers). Red has also had some quality issues of late. Also, red is owned by TTI which is chinese, where as yellow is owned by SBD which is american.
Milwaukee offers automotive tools that Dewalt simply doesn't build, they can't outperform in a class they haven't entered. The ratchets are on par power wise but they're bulky as shit compared to an M12. No 1/4" grinders from yellow, they did finally come out with a hood light but it's pretty meh compared to the m12 unit and they don't really have anything comparable to the M12 underbody light. Their impacts might make more power now, but that's not going to convert someone who already runs M18 stuff.

Dewalt waited too long to get into making mechanic tools, we all bought red stuff 8-10 years ago.

Red if starting from scratch. Watch the thread in chit chat deals are posted regularly. Shouldn’t be paying more than 80% or so of retail on anything at most, usually less.

Milwaukee offers automotive tools that Dewalt simply doesn't build, they can't outperform in a class they haven't entered. The ratchets are on par power wise but they're bulky as shit compared to an M12. No 1/4" grinders from yellow, they did finally come out with a hood light but it's pretty meh compared to the m12 unit and they don't really have anything comparable to the M12 underbody light. Their impacts might make more power now, but that's not going to convert someone who already runs M18 stuff.

Dewalt waited too long to get into making mechanic tools, we all bought red stuff 8-10 years ago.

Didn't address the other two items...and there is a 1/4" die grinder for dewalt btw. Op is talking about buying from ground up, so no one is telling him to convert. I wouldn't convert either if I already had a bunch of tools, but if he's buying into a new line, now's the time to choose...and I'd rather not have chinese made tools with quality problems, even if that means I can't get...well, nothing, dewalt has ratchets and lights and impacts and die grinders and grease guns and all the tools you might want, maybe just not in your ideal form factor. I also personally find the ergonomics of the red stuff shit, their grips feel terrible in hand when using them.

You sound like a guy that wants to change teams but has too much invested in yellow tools :laughing:

I dunno what testers you are referring to. But I do know that I can walk into any mechanic or fab shop and will see damn near every cordless tool in there being Milwaukee. Open up the doors on every service truck running around here and same thing. See the random tool truck brand or dewalt but you just dont see them all that often anymore....

Last edited:
DeWalt doesn't make one of these, when I say die grinder this is what I'm talking about.

PXL_20240228_160451659.jpg

DeWalt doesn't make one of these, when I say die grinder this is what I'm talking about.

PXL_20240228_160451659.jpg

So a right angle die grinder...ok fair, they don't.

None the less, that wouldn't stop me from supporting an American owned company over a Chinese one.

Didn't address the other two items...and there is a 1/4" die grinder for dewalt btw. Op is talking about buying from ground up, so no one is telling him to convert. I wouldn't convert either if I already had a bunch of tools, but if he's buying into a new line, now's the time to choose...and I'd rather not have chinese made tools with quality problems, even if that means I can't get...well, nothing, dewalt has ratchets and lights and impacts and die grinders and grease guns and all the tools you might want, maybe just not in your ideal form factor. I also personally find the ergonomics of the red stuff shit, their grips feel terrible in hand when using them.

You didn’t take into account the m12 line. The m12 line is extensive and fantastic for what it is. Using a top 1/3 smaller than the 18v counterpart with 90% of the power is a joy on any kind of overhead or awkward situations.

Majority I know in dewalt are only in dewalt because of the old nicad tools and adapters(construction). Everyone with dewalt asks how m12/18 stuff is I’ve got a few to switch over.

I think for the most part Milwaukee has the most expansive lineup of tools.

Top Back Refresh