What's new

RV propane tank monitoring?

smurfblue40

Baconologyst
Member Number
Loc
Sloughhouse Ca
I am a newb to the whole RV / Travel trailer world...

I mostly use propane for grilling and smoking. I have several spare tanks to swap out if I run one dry, I won’t have that luxury away from home

Is there a fairly reliable gadget available to monitor the amount of propane I have on board while out traveling?

*I have used the stick on “gauges”, and the inline pressure gauges on my bbq. I just wondered if there was something better?

615qV9%2Bx-pL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Run the tanks with a gauge and expect them to be close to accurate (upright tanks?)
belly tanks should be hardwired...
Them fishscales should be size dependent.

How big are the tanks and how often are you using them? If they're just a couple 20's, I'd carry a few extra. If they're 30's, and you don't expect to spend more than a 3-4 day trip I'd just fill them every trip and see what you go through to give you an estimated fill schedule.

Or you could be a baller and just toss a few 100's on a custom rack and fill every season. :grinpimp:

I ran across those while searching. I may have to do some research. That’s kind of what I’m looking for, I just don’t want to pay for a pos gimmick.

I have been using them for 6 months. They are magnetic to the bottom of the tank and come with little tank standoffs to raise the tank 1/2" and some dielectric grease to aid in the ultrasonic stuff. I might order some full diameter plastic risers though as the little soft aluminum standoffs are not awesome when you are taking the tanks on and off to get refilled. But so far the sensors have been fairly accurate.

I’ve camped in 60F daytime 30F nighttime weather for 5 days with a 25’ camper trailer.
Hot water, cook stove, refrigerator, and furnace as needed and not emptied a 20 lb tank.
We cook outside mostly using the spare 20 pounder or wood fire if so allowed.
If the tank I’m using runs out I shut it off and turn the spare on.

I always worry about running out but never have. The camper has two mounted and I carry a spare in the truck.

If your boondocking four 20 pounders would last two weeks easily unless your in <30F degree weather.

If you have a portable propane fire pit those will eat the propane. I’ve went through a 20 lb in one night.

What is your plan if you run low? Make a trip to town and fill the empty?

I have been using them for 6 months. They are magnetic to the bottom of the tank and come with little tank standoffs to raise the tank 1/2" and some dielectric grease to aid in the ultrasonic stuff. I might order some full diameter plastic risers though as the little soft aluminum standoffs are not awesome when you are taking the tanks on and off to get refilled. But so far the sensors have been fairly accurate.

Thanks for the info! :beer:

If you have a portable propane fire pit those will eat the propane. I’ve went through a 20 lb in one night.

What is your plan if you run low? Make a trip to town and fill the empty?

We have one, and I’ve heard they can drain a 20 quick.

I guess fire pit use will depend on how close we are to civilization.

These work if you have the correct size tank. Even my weber BBQ has a scale on the tank hanger that shows roughly how full/empty it is

I ran across those while searching. I may have to do some research. That’s kind of what I’m looking for, I just don’t want to pay for a pos gimmick.

It’s worth it. Just don’t forget you have them if you swap a tank. Also works on Bluetooth so the house barbecue won’t run out mid cook.

fuck that single purpose scale garbage
just read the TW (tare weight) stamp, then toss it on a bathroom scale
subtract tare and you get the weight of the juice

I used Camco propane gauge to connect to my RV propane tank so I wouldn't be surprised next time it runs out. Works exactly as you would expect. The gauge’s dial is labeled clearly. It only takes a short glance for me to find out if the propane gas level is getting low. I no longer have to lift the tank to check if there is still enough inside for my next trip. I find this helpful because my lower back is not the same as it used to be.

Mrs bought me the Tank Check monitor kit :smokin:

It took me a couple minutes to figure out the app, looking forward to trying this thing out tomorrow

I was coming here to tell you about the Mopeka tank check. You can adjust the tank size in the app, and have it tell you a vertical height remaining or percentage. My barbecue is at 41%.
Don’t be surprised if you have to change the batteries after a year. My sensors stopped working or acted funny until I changed mine.

What is the reason you people need to know exactly how much is in your tanks?

I like simple.

If you have two tanks just use one of these and it'll automagically switch to tank 2 when tank 1 is empty. Have a look at it each day and when the indicator turns red it's time to move the little lever and swap out the empty first tank. No disruption in pilot lights either.

Not sure if available without the regulator, but it would be nice as I might use one at my ice shack.

41Ut9wWfO5L.jpg

Bumping this to say I swapped out the battery on my second monitor and it works great. I'm probably 40-50 feet from my trailer inside my house and it's reading perfectly updating every second. The Barbecue one is doing perfect as well. I did have to use the metal feet included with the kid on my 40 lb trailer tank. It took a few minutes for the monitor to start reading something other than errors or 0%. I actually trust this thing so much when I saw 0% I thought I was actually out of propane.

Bumping this to say I swapped out the battery on my second monitor and it works great. I'm probably 40-50 feet from my trailer inside my house and it's reading perfectly updating every second. The Barbecue one is doing perfect as well. I did have to use the metal feet included with the kid on my 40 lb trailer tank. It took a few minutes for the monitor to start reading something other than errors or 0%. I actually trust this thing so much when I saw 0% I thought I was actually out of propane.
How big of a PITA was it to change the battery? Looking at the sensor, there’s no obvious way to open it up.

I have the rubber “doughnuts” on the tanks on the trailer (20lb each). I wonder if there is a max where the metal feet would be better? (those sensors aren’t cheap)

It was mostly a PITA getting the thing apart. Not going to lie. It sucked. I wanted to be delicate and firm at the same time without tearing the entire thing apart and making it useless….but actually changing the battery was easy. Pull old one out and put new one in.

I use an in line generic gauge and swap between 2 tanks. Furnace is super sensitive to low pressure auto shut off so I use the least full during the day so I don't have an alarm go off a 3am

Is it one of these?
EE1C4916-2E66-416A-A603-8357DEA87D9C.jpeg

I have one, I think I’ll see how the two compare in a “head to head” test
Yes I have that and one very similar with a 3 ft extension, I just watch how quick the gauge jumps instead

Ok.

It may take a little while (not grilling as much right now), but here goes the comparison…

Both gauges on the same bottle.
486CCECC-7CBA-4E3A-9281-356AD81ABB12.jpeg

pressure gauges will only tell you the outside temperature and if it's just about totally empty

liquified gasses 101, man

Top Back Refresh