What's new

RV Onan Generator Wont Stay Running without Start Depressed

alright, didn't have anything handy for a sleeve and tractor supply wanted over $20 for a single 1/2" ID 2" long sleeve, so bought a 1/2" x 3" long piece of pipe coupling for $2 or so. Drilled it about at an angle

20220905_121844.jpg

hand drilling and eyeballing all the measurements ended me up off from the center I was going for, but good enough

20220905_123155.jpg

Put it together a whole bunch of times and then got some tabs on so that I can use the wheel axles to help secure it all in place

20220905_140950.jpg

Bought the expensive implement spray paint in hopes it will hold better than rustoleum

20220905_150231.jpg

And got it all assembled for the final time. Apparently I was too exact with the outside tab as it needs some gentle tapping. Probably got the weld a little fat, oh well. Single orange strap around the whole thing to keep the from bouncing around too bad.

20220905_160032.jpg

cover and spare tire mounted. It will be interesting to see how long the cover lasts back there. hopefully it will be in enough of a wind bubble that it won't get tore up too quick.

20220905_160650.jpg

anyways, now all that's left is to save up a few hundred bucks or see if I can sell the Onan for a couple hundred as parts and install a couple hundred amp hours worth of batteries underneath.

so, there ya go. all the diagnostic resources in the world and it was less bothersome to just work around the whole thing :rasta:

edit: Coleman Mach brand 15k btu air conditioner is ~$1200+ at the local RV place, etrailer is having a sale on Advent Air brand and sell an easy to use cable to connect to my existing coleman base and thermostat. $750 delivered in about 2 months due to backorder, works for me

ac reciept crop.png

edit2: this specific genset uses a twist lock for the 30 amp output, so had to spend the few bucks to get a twist lock to RV happy face plug

WEN GNA030, NEMA L5-30P Twist-Lock Power Plug to TT-30R Ready Outlet 120V 30-Amp 3600-Watt Generator to RV Adapter, Black​

Last edited:
Your camping neighbors are going to hate you. My Onan Marquis 5.5KW is super quiet - less than 60 dB at 25 ft. Those construction site generators are loud as hell - you always end up having one of those pieces of shit parked next to you at KOH with some drunk ass who forgets to turn it off when he passes out.

As for fixing it, control boards are pretty cheap ($100 range on Ebay). I'm not sure how purchasing a construction site genny is easier or more economic than just fixing the damned Onan generator.

Have you tested to see if the fuel cut relay is being activated on the gen set? That would help isolate the problem. Went through this shit on my generator previously - replaced the carb and fuel solenoid and it works perfectly now.

Last edited:
I've got a Cummins onan diesel hdkas genset under the goose in my enclosed trailer. It's not super quiet, but quiet enough I can sleep inside with it on, and damn is it useful. X2, worth throwing a board at it.

Ive got a similar issue with mine I can't figure out. Every time I hit the stop button, or hold it to activate the glow, it pops the control circuit breaker. Had a few other issues I worked through which was time consuming, but worth it.

Not sure about the other models on here, but mine was about 10k new. With only about 950 total runtime hours on it, I figured it was worth saving.

Now you’re that asshole with an industrial generator. Grab a quiet gen from harbor freight for the love of your neighbors. I’ve got the 3500w one that’s amazingly quiet and has 700+ hours on it with no issues.

Your camping neighbors are going to hate you. My Onan Marquis 5.5KW is super quiet - less than 60 dB at 25 ft. Those construction site generators are loud as hell - you always end up having one of those pieces of shit parked next to you at KOH with some drunk ass who forgets to turn it off when he passes out.

As for fixing it, control boards are pretty cheap ($100 range on Ebay). I'm not sure how purchasing a construction site genny is easier or more economic than just fixing the damned Onan generator.

Have you tested to see if the fuel cut relay is being activated on the gen set? That would help isolate the problem. Went through this shit on my generator previously - replaced the carb and fuel solenoid and it works perfectly now.
This gen set doesn't seem any quieter or louder than the onan, other than the ac, not much reason to run a generator. Solar and batteries seem to keep up with all the lights and small electronics going for a long while.

There is no fuel cut on this one, just a banjo bolt. So spend maybe 100 on a control board and another 300 on a regulator and tear it apart fairly regular or spend the same money on a cheap gen with more uses seemed easy enough for me.

If it was just shutting off the fuel pump, it would or should run longer before the bowl is dry than cut right off once I let off the switch

Top Back Refresh