What's new

Ruff stuff heim joint kit

MurderYota

Throbbing member
Member Number
Loc
The forgotten part of California
94 single cab on 37s with hydro assist and 6 shooters. I’m ready to upgrade to heim joint steering. Buddy of mine went with the 7/8s and he had some clearance issues. He said if he was to do again he would go with the 3/4 ones. Anybody else got any input

Ya, 3/4x5/8 will fit.

I don't know if it's a huge upgrade from good quality Fj80 ends though.
if i was building a hardcore toy front axle the tie rod would have 3/4x5/8 heims with safety washers and the drag link would have 555 fj80 tie rod ends

if i was building a hardcore toy front axle the tie rod would have 3/4x5/8 heims with safety washers and the drag link would have 555 fj80 tie rod ends
I've done heims all the way around and have had no issues, But YMMV
I'll get a picture.

Why use both instead of one or the other?
personal preference

drag link needs high misalignment spacers, which reduces your 5/8 bolt on the heim down to a 1/2" which is the same as the stud on on an fj80. high steer arm and pitman arm are already reamed for the fj80 end so no need to change it.

ive snapped studs off fj80 ends on my tie rod a couple times, drag ink doesnt see as much force or abuse as the tie rod so the fj80 ends hold up fine on it.

personal preference

drag link needs high misalignment spacers, which reduces your 5/8 bolt on the heim down to a 1/2" which is the same as the stud on on an fj80. high steer arm and pitman arm are already reamed for the fj80 end so no need to change it.

ive snapped studs off fj80 ends on my tie rod a couple times, drag ink doesnt see as much force or abuse as the tie rod so the fj80 ends hold up fine on it.
I did do Misalingment washers on all of it for clearances so far seems to work well. Hydro assist, and no twisting.

20210823_115819.jpg
20210823_115812.jpg

Or why use 80 instead of gm 1 ton?
holes in toy passenger side high steer arm are too close together so gm 1ton tre rub each other, ive broken a couple of gm 1ton tre on the 14b steer axle too :laughing:

emf 1ton tre(chromo) would probably fit though :smokin:

i really dont think it matters too much, fj80 or heims are both good

I honestly don't think gm 1 ton tre's are much stronger than Fj80s. Similar to u joints, it probably has more to do with the manufacturer.

Im running the ruffstuff 7/8 kit. Would have used regular 80 ends, but the used arms I got were already drilled out so it made the decision for me. They do touch, I had to take the grinder to them a bit.

They have been on since 2014 (had to go into photo bucket to get the photos) and they all have a little slop in them now, but are still holding up great for a trail only rig.

These are the heims vs the stock mini truck parts

heim1.JPG

hemi2.JPG

heim2.JPG

Spacers were moved, thats not how ive been running them, this was mockup/me learning. Just showing how close they are.

The other nice thing about the 80 ends, is they are shorter. More spacers came out here, but at first, the leaf would hit the bottom of the heim bolt when stuffed, stopping it from turning, or using it as a bump stop. lol

heim3.JPG

Last edited:
The other nice thing about the 80 ends, is they are shorter. More spacers came out here, but at first, the leaf would hit the bottom of the heim bolt when stuffed, stopping it from turning, or using it as a bump stop. lol

heim3.JPG
ive destroyed a pitman arm after having my tre get stuck on the leaf spring while winching up a waterfall, i couldnt turn left anymore and had to drive a few miles out the trail so every left turn i had to turn right and back up in reverse to turn left :laughing:

I just ordered the 7/8" heim tie rod kit from ruffstuff. Do the kits come with safety washers?

last time i ordered some i got them from barnes4wd, couldnt find any on ruffstuff, maybe they have them now

looks like they still dont offer them, only offer "misalignment safety washers"

last time i ordered some i got them from barnes4wd, couldnt find any on ruffstuff, maybe they have them now

looks like they still dont offer them, only offer "misalignment safety washers"

Ok then, yes they do come with misalignment spacers. They don't call them safety washers.

The ruff stuff steering kit has misalignment spacers that will not allow the hime to pop off if it fails. The pics above have the drag link spacers up side down.

I also don't like how tall the ruff stuff spacers are.

the safety washers are good if youre not interested in going down a bolt size, which is what i like with the 5/8 heims

the safety washers are good if youre not interested in going down a bolt size, which is what i like with the 5/8 heims
They come with safety washers on the tie rod that don't drop bolt size. Drag link is tricky, like you said. Hard to misalign with without dropping bolt size.

I'll have to look at what's on my samurai with 3/4 hiems.

I thought that the point of a safety washer was to prevent the heim from separating from the ball and coming up over the bolt.

I guess I'll wait to see what I receive. Maybe I'll just weld a tab onto my steering arm to make it "double shear", but really just to prevent the heim from falling out.

I thought that the point of a safety washer was to prevent the heim from separating from the ball and coming up over the bolt.

I guess I'll wait to see what I receive. Maybe I'll just weld a tab onto my steering arm to make it "double shear", but really just to prevent the heim from falling out.

Thats exactly it.

The debate was weather or not the ruff stuff misalignment/washer deals reduce bolt size or not. Most people believe the 3/4x3/4 hiems don't leave enough meat to be reliable. But then running a 3/4x5/8 with a misalignment spacer drops you to a 1/2" bolt. Catch 22 type deal.

Top Back Refresh