What's new

Roofing Costs

MtnYota

Mean Dad
Member Number
Loc
Ben Lomond, Ca
So the time has come to get a new roof put on my house. The house is a single story with a 4/12 asphalt shingle roof totaling 27.5 squares and the detatched garage is 8 squares.
I'm located in Santa Cruz, Ca so no surprise everything is expensive.

Ive gotten 3 quotes and they are all coming $525/sq to $660/sq.

Any recommendations on shingles? Quotes are coming in with Owens Corning Oakridge Lifetime Shingles and GAF Timberline HD

Are the upgraded shingles worth the extra money?

It seems like this is $4000 in materials $500 in permit which is leaving $16500 for labor + overhead+profit

What says the great and powerful Irate?

I went with the basic Owens shingle. I looked at the upgraded ones but couldn't really see a reason. Most of our roofs last 10ish year before getting hailed out. So a 30 year shingle or 50 year doesn't seem to do much good. Also wasn't finding a reason to go impact resistant as they won't warranty them against hail and the 10 year stuff is big enough to ruin anything.

27 sq, peal and replace, upgraded Owens Corning hail wind resistance, 10k in MT

That price seems about right to me. Of course that would include 1 row Grace ice and water at all eaves, synthetic roof underlayment, lifetime warranty OC shingles, all new drip, rake and up flashing and removal of all debris. No permit required for a re roof.

That price seems about right to me. Of course that would include 1 row Grace ice and water at all eaves, synthetic roof underlayment, lifetime warranty OC shingles, all new drip, rake and up flashing and removal of all debris. No permit required for a re roof.

Im getting this ^^ with 30yr Pabco shingles, and 10 sheets of plywood, and old chimney wreaked down for 10k. Im in western Washington though so I don't know the cost difference with the hail resistant stuff. Our shingles are algae resistant for moss here in the PNW.

Edit: I should add that my house is approx. 40 sq too.

Got a crazy ex tweaker/ jail bird roofer I know that does amazing work. I'd bet money you know his truck. (Cleanest red 1998ish crew cab chevy you could imagine lifted on 35s-37s)
Charged me 300sq for install and lined up the order of materials. I just had to go down to the roofing supply store in watsonville and pick out my shingles.

There was no tear off or prep involved but I paid around 13000 for 32 squares installed all done.

Another thing I learned is labor goes up fast with the thicker fancier shingles as the take for time and effort to install.

Anyhow I could get you his info if you want. Fyi the guy comes off as annoying as fuck and wont shut up ever about how good he is.... but he is really that good. Showed up at 7am and was leaving at 1pm after cleaning everything up. I'm sure You would have to deal with hauling shit to the dump, ect but it would probably save enough to make it worth it.

Im getting this ^^ with 30yr Pabco shingles, and 10 sheets of plywood, and old chimney wreaked down for 10k. Im in western Washington though so I don't know the cost difference with the hail resistant stuff. Our shingles are algae resistant for moss here in the PNW.

Edit: I should add that my house is approx. 40 sq too.

The quotes are including everything above but the "Grace ice and water" and I have no attic vents so it includes adding those.

You're a pussy if you dont hand mix the asphalt and granules yourself, build molds and pour your own shingles to roof your house.

Oh yeah, while the roof is off you need to form and pour a new foundation and completely reframe the house while your wife is pregnant with your first child....pussy.

Fixed. :flipoff2:

I did my own roof... 15 squares for the house and 8 for the garage. Total cost in materials for ice shield, synthetic underlay and shingles (IKO architectural) came in at right under 3k.

Sucked roofing the garage with a 10/12 pitch (harness, tie off, ledgers), house was basic 4/12. I got a quote of 6k for labor. :laughing: Fawk that. I'm a cheap bastid...

OP, how many layers do you have NOW? 1 layer of shingles or what?

Ya one layer, but the previous owner did a shit job and I know I’ve got some rot.

If you have looked at the underside and know some ply/ osb has to be r&r'd then yah... may as well knock it out now. I was going to say you are allowed to stack at least 2 sets of shingles and maybe save a few bucks, but if it's rotted on the substrate, then it is what it is.

Ya one layer, but the previous owner did a shit job and I know I’ve got some rot.

Here's the guys number, tell him you got it from Shane Meakin, Matt George's friend. (He is my best friends uncle and it will click if you say that.)

Anyhow Im also friends with the lead project manager for Shelton roofing and even he said to use this guy. But fyi it would need to be a cash deal on his terms...

Screenshot_20200616-225550_Phone.jpg

Also figure in an extra "square" of labor for the ridge cap and another for any significant valleys or fancy shit. I want to say 50 year shingles upped the side job price 50/ square and lifetime upped it 100+ per square.

Top Back Refresh