What's new

Ring gear to cover clearance?

Thrown_hammer

Doofus
Member Number
Possibly dumb question.

I have a LJ with Rubicon axles. All the aftermarket diff covers say to grind clearance inside if using with a rubicon factory locker.

How much clearance is enough?

I thought about using depth mics and matching the factory cover depth.

I'd bolt up the cover and see if it spins, and only grind if it doesn't.

I ran these front and rear on my rubicon axles with no interference with the stock lockers:

What brand covers are saying you need to grind? The factory lockers are not that much bigger than an ARB or Detroit but maybe one of the really minimalist covers could have problems.

Edit: you mention ring gear clearance. The TJ/LJ Dana 44 is the same ring gear size as every dana 44 leading up to it so anything that is for a dana 44 should fit no problem. The JK 44 uses a bigger ring gear but the same exact cover so I could see some possible grinding in that situation.

Last edited:
I don't even remember the make of the cover I've had it so long. It's a generic looking cast cover.

But I remember looking at several and most of them said with the Rubicon locker grindng some clearance was needed.

If it just has to not touch that's easy enough.

I don't even remember the make of the cover I've had it so long. It's a generic looking cast cover.

But I remember looking at several and most of them said with the Rubicon locker grindng some clearance was needed.

I bet the note you remember was referring to JK rubicon axles. As I said the ring gear is bigger but the diff cover is the same size and bolt pattern.

I bet the note you remember was referring to JK rubicon axles. As I said the ring gear is bigger but the diff cover is the same size and bolt pattern.
I'll update this Monday after I install it. Hopefully you're right and it goes on without any hassle.

Found the cover. It's a Crown Automotive. See note about rubicon locker.
Screenshot_20230829-145601_Brave.jpg

Well. Had to grind clearance. Hit with a grinder anywhere it touched anything. After install went for a few miles drive and cover is cool to the touch.
20230904_112548.jpg
20230904_133110.jpg

Rock Krawler is still a thing?
I remember their booty fab junk from the early 2000s.

Anybody looking at cast covers I can really recommend the metalcloak ones. Cheaper than most of the other cast and fabricated covers and no grinding required.

You know what? I bet it’s the thick gear set that moves the ring gear bolts over far enough to interfere.

My aunt got the Currie steering setup on her TJ and the process to get the ball joints greased is somehow a pain in the ass:lmao:

Top Back Refresh