What's new

Rifle safe for bedroom.

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
Looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Barska-Quick...+biom,aps,163&sr=8-15&th=1&tag=91812054244-20

Just need something for the bedroom. Something to store the shotgun and EDC. I'd like to store my AR in there as well, but I have the other safe I can use if I have to. The one linked above seems to get mixed results of fitting a shotgun and an AR in there together.

Suggestions? I don't want a trigger lock or anything. Just a biometric safe to keep them out of access for the kiddo.

I have a "shot lock". I really like it. I made it have a 2 digit combo, so I can get it quick. I installed it just inside my closet, but it looks cool and could be installed out in the room. I also have a pistol lock box that uses a fingerprint. I would not get one of those. The finger print thing fails too many times. It really pisses you off when it takes three or four tries to open. Think what it would be like if it were an emergency.

https://www.shotlock.com/

ive had mine for years and it works flawless every time.

I have a "shot lock". I really like it.
Eh, I'd prefer a safe. Something to open when I get home, throw in my EDC, and lock it up until morning. Keep it in the closet. Box of shells. A spare mag. And something that could fit an AR would be a bonus.

Eh, I'd prefer a safe. Something to open when I get home, throw in my EDC, and lock it up until morning. Keep it in the closet. Box of shells. A spare mag. And something that could fit an AR would be a bonus.

The model you posted isn’t a safe. The steel is only 2mm thick. It’s a sheet metal box. My dad uses the cheap stack on lockers. Does a good job at storing thing.

Fair enough, but don't get one that uses fingerprints. Regular mechanical buttons don't need batteries and work everytime.

Yeah I'm an old guy, we had 2 rifles both .22s that sat behind my parents door. It never crossed my mind to touch either of them without my parents permission.
My grandparents had a beautiful, wood and glass rifle case in the living room that had the most simple lock to keep the door closed, as a kid we would look in at them, but would have never think about opening the case.
I guess what I am asking is what has changed that you can't trust your kids to leave weapons alone. Safes against theft I can understand

Where are you at? I just unloaded this meilenk fore proof safe out of the bed of my truck. Is about 2'x2'x5'. $200 plus 1/2 of whatevers inside when you figure out how to open it.

Same as this one
https://california-safes.com/meilink-antique-home-safe.html

Screenshot_20201019-071453_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I've already got a decent sized safe in the basement. Has a fire rating and stuff. Total bitch to get down there. Not small by any means.

Kiddo is still a toddler. He sees me carrying and shooting at the targets out back. He's helped clean up the brass too. So he's exposed to them just fine. Just makes me more comfortable with them locked up.

Don't want to get in the debate of locker vs safe. Just merely to keep things out of reach of curious hhands.

Looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Barska-Quick...+biom,aps,163&sr=8-15&th=1&tag=91812054244-20

Just need something for the bedroom. Something to store the shotgun and EDC. I'd like to store my AR in there as well, but I have the other safe I can use if I have to. The one linked above seems to get mixed results of fitting a shotgun and an AR in there together.

Suggestions? I don't want a trigger lock or anything. Just a biometric safe to keep them out of access for the kiddo.

I have that exact one, personally, I think its pretty nice. Bolt it the wall or the floor and its pretty solid. scan your a couple of your fingers in different directions, it will help a lot.

mine will hold all three, but if you have a scope (or heads up holographic sight) and a 30 rd mag, you have to have it turned and it can get a little tight, but still usable. I had to adjust the foam to give a little more left right options.

I open in when I get home, close it when I leave. if someone was left alone for a length of time they could break into it i'm sure.

Yeah I'm an old guy, we had 2 rifles both .22s that sat behind my parents door. It never crossed my mind to touch either of them without my parents permission.
My grandparents had a beautiful, wood and glass rifle case in the living room that had the most simple lock to keep the door closed, as a kid we would look in at them, but would have never think about opening the case.
I guess what I am asking is what has changed that you can't trust your kids to leave weapons alone. Safes against theft I can understand

I'm not that old, kid of the '80s & '90s, we were much the same. Dad didn't have any hand guns, but there were 2x shot guns, a 30-30, and a .22 leaned against the wall in the corner of my parent's bedroom. Grandparent's had a 12 Ga. "hallway gun," I can still hear grandma say, "oh there's a skunk, grab the hallway gun," to whoever was available. I had my own air rifle by 9-ish years old, and my own 20 Ga. shotgun by 11 or 12 years old.

I was never scared of them, dad taught me to respect them, and how to use them, so they weren't an attractive forbidden fruit either. There was never a time that I would have grabbed one of his guns without permission, until I was teenager and had earned that privilege.

I've got the Winchester 26 Gun from TSC in a dead-bolted closet, to add an extra layer of protection (I live ghetto adjacent) to theft & fire. It's no where big enough, even if I only had 26 I couldn't fit them in there, the general rule of dividing the advertised capacity by 2 is pretty accurate. I've got less frequently used long guns in socks, and stacked tight, I still don't think I could anywhere near 26 long guns in there. I say all that, because they offer a 12 gun version that would probably work good for a pair of long guns, and a pistol, ammo, and sundries on a shelf. It'll probably be $50-$100 cheaper around the holidays, the current 12 gun price is more than I paid for my 26 gun version.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30?cm_vc=-10005

Just to reiterate because I know it'll come up again, kiddo is exposed to firearms. He'll be shooting before long. Holds a lifetime hunting/fishing license. Sometimes I open carry depending on where I'm going.

But I don't want to be the one to misjudge the actions of a curious five year old left alone for ten minutes while I was taking a dump.

I have that exact one, personally, I think its pretty nice. Bolt it the wall or the floor and its pretty solid. scan your a couple of your fingers in different directions, it will help a lot.

mine will hold all three, but if you have a scope (or heads up holographic sight) and a 30 rd mag, you have to have it turned and it can get a little tight, but still usable. I had to adjust the foam to give a little more left right options.

I open in when I get home, close it when I leave. if someone was left alone for a length of time they could break into it i'm sure.

Good to know. I figure I'd just leave the mag out of it while stored. I have a simple Romeo5 red sight on it, so it may be a bit wife.

Good to know. I figure I'd just leave the mag out of it while stored. I have a simple Romeo5 red sight on it, so it may be a bit wife.

depending on the type of mag, I stuck a magent on the inside of the door and stuck the mag on it, so its easy to grab when the door opens.

If you're just looking for a DOJ-approved locker, and don't want to lose much closet space, this is a well-built option:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSWGCLM/?tag=91812054244-20

81Qjdb21xIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	81Qjdb21xIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	2 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	167015

We have a "real gun safe" elsewhere, but this is a handy quick-access locker that's reasonably secure.

Personally, I like Simplex locks for reliable access + decent level of security.

Last edited:

That safe does also have a key entry, just behind the metal tag there on the door. the tag is just on there with a couple of allan heads iirc, you could take it off and leave it off if you wanted to keep it more of a keyed locker

I have a gun rack in my closet. and I have a lock on my closet door ( a real door lock, not a cheesy interior handle lock)

Every night, I unlock my closet, get out my favorite home protection piece, and lean it by my bed and lock my closet back.

Every morning, the last thing I do before heading to work is put the weapon back in the rack in the closet and lock the closet door.

My rack is about this size. I have it sitting on a short bench so I can fit a couple of milk crates under it for socks and stuff.

gun rack 1.jpg

I have a gun rack in my closet. and I have a lock on my closet door ( a real door lock, not a cheesy interior handle lock)

This is actually how I'm rocking right now.

I have the exact same one you posted. It's kind of tight to get guns in and out in a hurry. The pic show 3 guns, but I keep two in mine.

The biometric lock is ok for what it is. Works for the most part once you get use to the "sweet" spot on the reader where you put your finger. I change batteries annually as a preventative measure. If batteries die, there is a remote battery adapter you can temporarily plug to unlock the box, or there's a key you can use.

I bought it mostly to make sure my young grandkids don't get into my guns while they visit....

I'll be 33 later this month and being around guns as a kid wasn't much different. That said, there's no fucking way I'd leave guns lying around unsecured if I had kids now though. Not because I wouldn't trust my kids, but just due to the liability if something does happen. Some freak accident happens where a kid ends up hurt or worse and you know first thing to hit the news is how you just had guns lying around the house. The media speculation and ammo it gives possible prosecution isn't worth it.

I'll be 33 later this month and being around guns as a kid wasn't much different. That said, there's no fucking way I'd leave guns lying around unsecured if I had kids now though. Not because I wouldn't trust my kids, but just due to the liability if something does happen. Some freak accident happens where a kid ends up hurt or worse and you know first thing to hit the news is how you just had guns lying around the house. The media speculation and ammo it gives possible prosecution isn't worth it.

Yawp.

I guess I should add it's only myself mom and two cats, once or twice a year my niece and her kids show up but they all know to stay out of my room.

I'm considering this one from Tractor Supply. I need something to hold a couple of shotguns for birds, armadillos and close up hogs and a rifle for distant hogs. Nothing like seeing hogs down at the pond and having to go down to the shop to get a suitable rifle -- they've usually moved on by then. I have trigger locks on the shotguns now and they suck to screw around with in the middle of the night when you need something quick.

Screenshot 2020-10-19 125315.png

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30#

I've got a simple key pad one bolted to the wall and floor in my closet. I've got 4 long guns and a 9mm in it.

Unsure of brand as it was a gift. Its just a steel box with a locking door. 1 minute with an angle grinder will get you in by cutting a hole in the side.

I've got a simple key pad one bolted to the wall and floor in my closet. I've got 4 long guns and a 9mm in it.

Unsure of brand as it was a gift. Its just a steel box with a locking door. 1 minute with an angle grinder will get you in by cutting a hole in the side.

Kind of what I am looking for. Like to do the biometric. I've got so many keys and combos going on. I'm so fucked once my memory goes. :laughing:

Ranch Hand that's the same one I linked in my post, I've got the 26 gun version and have been pleased with it. I gave $300 for the 26 gun during a New Years Day sale in '15 or '16, so $400 for the 12 gun is a bit steep.

Wall gun rack above the bed he can't reach but you can....?

I had one in my bedroom growing up I kept my .22 and double barrel 410 in. Later I got to add the 30-30 to it.

Wall gun rack above the bed he can't reach but you can....?

I had one in my bedroom growing up I kept my .22 and double barrel 410 in. Later I got to add the 30-30 to it.

Wanted to. Wife won't have it. :homer: Also out of sight, out of mind.

Are they good eatin? Genuinely curious

There's a Mexican fella at work that claims they are. I thought he was pulling my leg at first, but I'm pretty sure he's really eaten them.

Things can jump like 6' straight up in the air from standing still. My brother and my record is taking out 17 of the nuisances in one night, mostly with .22, but some 20 Ga & 10mm too. Only thing that ate any of them were buzzards and coyotes, we left them where they landed. They're allegedly Leprosy carriers, so I've never been interested in touching one.

Top Back Refresh