What's new

rewiringamerica.org

Roc Doc

2A SNBI
Member Number
Loc
Way out West.
Heat Pump Air Conditioner/Heater

Some sort of .gov program to encourage peeps to get off fossil fuels and into clean electricity. :shaking:

Will be adding HVAC to my garage, and it looks like I'll be able to get a tax credit. Anyone here taken advantage of this program?

Heat Pump Air Conditioner/Heater

Some sort of .gov program to encourage peeps to get off fossil fuels and into clean electricity. :shaking:

Will be adding HVAC to my garage, and it looks like I'll be able to get a tax credit. Anyone here taken advantage of this program?
Following for more info as we are building this summer.

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 how a heat pump can keep a house warm, like 72* warm, when it's below zero outside?

I did a couple years ago.

Furnace failed, installed a HE and you get a tax credit.

Some restrictions apply, like depending on household income. That was then. Not sure what the rules are today.

It is one of those deals, if you don't do anything crazy they will not question it.

I did a couple years ago.

Furnace failed, installed a HE and you get a tax credit.

Some restrictions apply, like depending on household income. That was then. Not sure what the rules are today.

It is one of those deals, if you don't do anything crazy they will not question it.
I've got two heat pumps on the roof already, and they work well, but it rarely gets below 30* here. They were installed in 2012 so I've got maybe 5 years left before one or both is going to need replacing. Not looking forward to that bill, AND I've got a shooting buddy in the business.

They say they can work down to about -10*, I had one in my last house and anytime it was below about 20 the electric furnace would kick on for supplemental heat and money burning. :laughing:
As soon as the heat pump can't keep up, second stage (and 3rd if you have it)heat kicks in and it's a regular electric heater. You can also call for another heat source if you like...gas, oil, pellets. Or whatever.

I have a 5K 2nd stage and a 10k 3rd stage for good measure.

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 how a heat pump can keep a house warm, like 72* warm, when it's below zero outside?
it may not work at zero. like down to 32 ish easy. so when you compress air it creates heat, that heat is then pumped to your house. like an ac unit. kinda

They operate on true zero and not 0/32 degrees zero. Essentially they work the same as an AC unit but also have the ability to deliver heat as well.

The newer ines are definitely more efficient at colder temps but they still have limits. Most of the house I go through with a ductless system also have wall heaters vs the air handler/furnace heat pump combo that has EM heat. Emergency heat for when the pump fails or the temp is too cold super inefficient to run an electrical furnace but keeps you from freezing unless the power is out.

I know you asked for like you were five but I can’t figure out how to draw pictures with red crayon :flipoff2:

It's because the refrigerant can still boil at that temperature. If refrigerant can boil, you can extract heat out of it, here's how the process works (to my limited understanding)

The outside temp, even though it my be "cold" to you and I, can boil refrigerant. It takes heat to boil something so even though this happens at a cold temperature to you and I, heat transfer is taking place.

The gaseous refrigerant is then pressurized, still in it's gaseous state. As we know increasing pressure also increases temperature so we take that cold refrigerant and warm it up by increasing the pressure. It's now hotter than the ambient temp inside your house so we blow air across a heat exchanger and transfer that heat to your house. This cools the refrigerant enough to condense it back to liquid. The liquid goes outside to boil and start the process over, "pumping the heat".

You just reverse the process in the summer and voila, you can cool your house instead of heat it.

They say they can work down to about -10*, I had one in my last house and anytime it was below about 20 the electric furnace would kick on for supplemental heat and money burning. :laughing:
Mini-split's are doing some amazing things with heat-pumps, but a regular conventional system ..... FUCK THAT. GIve me a gas furnace (even though it did try to kill me 2 years ago with a carbon monoxide leak)

Somebody here used the phrase a "A heat pump warms the area, a conventional heater heats the area" and I think that captures my feelings about it well.

it may not work at zero. like down to 32 ish easy. so when you compress air it creates heat, that heat is then pumped to your house. like an ac unit. kinda
Well it's refrigerant not air. Lol yes. It's an air conditioner with a reversing valve that sends the heat of compression to the evaporator instead of the condenser.

Mini-split's are doing some amazing things with heat-pumps, but a regular conventional system ..... FUCK THAT. GIve me a gas furnace (even though it did try to kill me 2 years ago with a carbon monoxide leak)

Somebody here used the phrase a "A heat pump warms the area, a conventional heater heats the area" and I think that captures my feelings about it well.
As with anything, it's about applying the right tool for the job. Are heat pumps a good idea muslim county Minnesota? No, but they work well in many other parts of the world.

And bless your heart for having feelings about the topic. :laughing:

Some local municipalities around here are outlawing gas powered appliances, water heater, and heat in new construction. More work for me as the electrical contractor but it’s definitely not more efficient like they think.

I'm running that bitch until it dies. :laughing:
I bought my house in Vegas in 1998, and when I sold it in 2015 the AC was still working...right up to the point I was replacing carpet and painting ahead of the sale, so yeah, buyer got a brand new AC unit. :mad3:

According to my HVAC buddy, the days of a AC unit lasting 30 years are long gone. 10-15, especially in someplace like central AZ.
This is my experience.

All these new refrigerants run a higher pressures than the tried and true R22. and they just don't hold up as long as the old ones did.

Some local municipalities around here are outlawing gas powered appliances, water heater, and heat in new construction. More work for me as the electrical contractor but it’s definitely not more efficient like they think.
Yeah, nevermind the coal fired or NG fired electricity plants.

Meh.. you don't get any decent air transfer an zero filtration . They're great if you just want a specific room treated and others isolated.
My Mom had one installed in her condo, Mitsubishi, which was considered the best of the best at the time. Yeah, that fucker died in 5 years, and this was in SoCal near the beach, so it's not like it got used alot.

As with anything, it's about applying the right tool for the job. Are heat pumps a good idea muslim county Minnesota? No, but they work well in many other parts of the world.

And bless your heart for having feelings about the topic. :laughing:
I work in an offshoot of the HVAC industry. I have a lot of feelings on Heat-pumps, refrigerants, geothermal, and the technology surrounding that. PLUS I live in Southeast Texas. This area wouldn't survive without AC.

and I'll throw in that Texas over the last few years has seemed to develop a problem with its power grid (due to incompetence and mismanagement) and if they had been promoting gas furnaces, the grid would get a reprieve on the winter as opposed to that being the time that taxes the grid most.

Meh.. you don't get any decent air transfer an zero filtration . They're great if you just want a specific room treated and others isolated.
You truncated my statement at the wrong point. WITH HEAT PUMPS is where i was going. Whole house humidity control (which is probably more important than the comfort temperature) ....they aren't what I want.

Top Back Refresh