What's new

Replace my cordless collection.

Any tips on batteries? They seem to last about 1/4 of the time as milwaukees.

The tools seem OK, except the sawzall I just don't like. But the batteries suck, the release button is a shit design and like I said they don't last for shit.
Um no issues there, the 18volt ones? Not sure I guess. I have a bunch of extra batts and several quick chargers. Haven't had any of them go bad in the last 6 ish years. 3ah and 5ah mix.

Um no issues there, the 18volt ones? Not sure I guess. I have a bunch of extra batts and several quick chargers. Haven't had any of them go bad in the last 6 ish years. 3ah and 5ah mix.

Ya 18v 5.0s. I have a mix of older ones and a couple brand new. They seem to last about like an old nicad battery.

Now that it's cold, they basically don't work? Guess I have to keep them in the cab? :homer:

Like I mentioned, they're about the least grippy thing, which is bad enough before you add mud, snow, water, gloves, ect.

I have yellow.

first set was brushed stuff, now it's all brushless. I'm addicted

1/4 Drive Brushed impact
1/4 drive Atomic impact
1/4 drive compact atomic inpact
3/8 atomic impact
3/8 Atomic compact ratchet (not very compact with the 20 V battery)
1/2" mid torque impact 800 ft lbs take off 600 put on, (works fine, tackles lug nuts and anything I throw at it)
1/2" High Torque impact (big As fuck and I barely ever use it, fun for running lag bolts into trees for treehouse)
1/2 Brushed drill
1/2 Atomic Drill
1/2 brushless hammer drill (wrist breaker, this thing will drive a car in low range)
60V sawzall (heavy but cuts anything)
20V atomic hand sawzall
Flexvolt 7" Circ saw
Atomic 4" circ saw
3 20V handheld spotlights (fucking awesome)
1 tripod light (fucking awesome)
3 20V fans (fucking awesome)
Atomic Router
Atomic Planer
Atomic jigsaw
Laser Level (fucking awesome)
Atomic multi tool cutter Fein tool
Wet dry vac (kinda sucks but is awesome for the boat)
All the storage boxes and stuff

My buddy has all the red stuff, we work together a lot, it all gets the job done.
The Milwaukkee packout stuff is the jam, dewalt just doesn't have the storage platform figured out yet. The thermo boxes are really nice and stackable though.

Yeah, they don't like to be in cold or hot extremes.

Here are DeWalt's guidelines: Best Practices For Battery Life | DEWALT

Another reason to go red :flipoff2:

MILWAUKEE® Lithium-Ion battery packs are designed to operate in temperatures below freezing. When the battery pack is too cold, it may need to warm up before normal use. Put the battery on a tool and use the tool in a light application. It may “buzz” for a short time until it warms up.

Dunno been using mine in a cabin the past few months, temps in the 30-40's the past few weeks and haven't noticed them not working.

Used them in chainsaw outside in the winter wheeling and haven't noticed any issues. I guess they are sorta sticky when removing but nothing like the Red 12 volts system. Hate those with a passion trying to get the batteries out of the tools.

is the brushless REALLY worht it at ALL times though....
Example: HD has 3/8 ratchet and 1/2" impact , non fuel, for $199.
Whereas the m18fuel 1/2impact alone is $229....
yes.

I picked yellow....mostly because fuck TTI after they put me through the ringer on a "lifetime" warranty with Ridgid...I'll not give them another dime ever.

I've been happy. My batteries are all going on 8 years old at this point I think...everything still works as it should. I have one big 1/2" impact, 3 3/8" impacts, the 1/4" driver, a drill, fan, weed wacker, hedge trimmer, jigsaw, sander, circular saw, angle grinder, oscillating saw, recip saw, blower, vacuum, a few lights, and probably some other shit. Have not been disappointed.

Last edited:
The new Milwaukee 1/2" impacts are garbage. (Identified by the B in the part #) They either break right out of the box or shortly thereafter. They changed some parts inside the hammer unit and the pins snap off in short order causing the guns to stop working.

Milwaukee fucked up bad changing the design....
They admitted the change sucked and are changing it again. Saw it mentioned on the Torqe Teat YouTube channel.

Another reason to go red :flipoff2:

MILWAUKEE® Lithium-Ion battery packs are designed to operate in temperatures below freezing. When the battery pack is too cold, it may need to warm up before normal use. Put the battery on a tool and use the tool in a light application. It may “buzz” for a short time until it warms up.
Reading what they wrote there pretty much confirms they don't like to be used cold, but they won't come right out and admit it... :flipoff2:

And they don't say anything about what it does to battery life to do that frequently.

All lithium batteries hate cold, regardless of what the mfgr says. You aren't going to get any of them to last if you are constantly using them below 40F. There's a reason why electric vehicles have battery heaters. FYI they also run the same type of cell as your cordless tool, just 1000s of them ganged together. Working on a cold jobsite? Toss them on your dash with the defrost on while driving out there. If you wear overalls, use the 3AH or less batteries and put them in an inside pocket when not using. If need charged you can kinda get away with putting the dead one inside your overalls for a while and throwing them on a fast charger out of the wind. YMMV

Sceep well did they come yet? I don’t see pictures :lmao::flipoff2:
Must have a new UPS driver. Normal guy usually gets his route done by 1800 (We're the last stop on the route). Didn't get here until 2100 last night AND left my shit outside the gate to be snatched. Luckily I saw my email alert that it was delivered right before I hit the hay.

1668520300192.png

AND left my shit outside the gate to be snatched
That's giving our local tweakers a lot of credit :flipoff2:
You're pretty far out of the way for people on the hunt for easy pickins, no?

Lemme know what you think of that 1/2, might be a good present for my pops sometime if I can't think of anything else.

Problem is we are so far outtah the way that everyone thinks no one is looking.
Neighbors barn has been broken into 3x in the last 4 years. Our place was broken into once, prior to us owning it.
Tweakers neighborhood behind McCalls uses my road as a shortcut to walmart. All kinds of shitheads cruising it all hours of the day. :mad3:

Tweakers neighborhood behind McCalls uses my road as a shortcut to walmart. All kinds of shitheads cruising it all hours of the day. :mad3:
oh wack, I was trying to think of a time where that shit ass road would be more useful/direct than 66. Guess that would be one thing.

I'll be sure to head to the moto track that way every single time now :flipoff2:

That's giving our local tweakers a lot of credit :flipoff2:

Lemme know what you think of that 1/2, might be a good present for my pops sometime if I can't think of anything else.
Avoid the newer 1/2". They have a serious design flaw and break shortly after the first uses. They are aware of the issue and I'd assume a fixed version is coming.

Avoid the newer 1/2". They have a serious design flaw and break shortly after the first uses. They are aware of the issue and I'd assume a fixed version is coming.
Yeah, saw that debacle on the torque test channel. Milwaukee responded by saying they were going back to the H96A model. I'll just have to be real careful picking it out and look real close.

I really like that dewalt sells adapters to put the 20v batteries on the old 18v stuff. Even if you buy 20v stuff, it's nice to not have to wipe the slate clean all at once. Especially for the oddball tools that don't get used very often.
Yup, I have a 18 v drill and impact driver that I traded a old pressure washer for. The 18 to 20 V adapter works great. The only thing that doesn’t fit is the larger batteries from my mower.

So how does one decipher the Milwaukee part numbers?

HD: Model# 3697-22

Amazon: Model# 2997-22

Amazon: Model# 2796-22

looks to be the same tools, charger, case, batteries...

How do you figure out the differences?
HD item has the 2904 drill and 2953 driver
Amazon has the 2804 drill and 2853 driver in the 2997-22
The 2996-22 is the One Key version

I went down the Ryobi rabbit hole years ago, and while not perfect, they have been almost adequate for homeowner/shadetree BS.

But the smoke is starting to come out of them. My immediate needs are a Sawzall and 1/2" impact. If I am going to change battery platforms eventually I will need a skill saw, drill, impact driver, 4" grinder, jigsaw, sander and vibratory cutter.

I notice that Holmes Depot has Milwaukee M18 and dewalt 20v on sale from 20-50% off.

Brushed or brushless? Which brand is better?
I don’t think the brand matters as much as the grade of tools you buy. The consumer tools at Home Depot aren’t the same as the professional ones at the construction supply store, and they are priced accordingly.
I don’t care what color they are, I don’t pay for the tools I use at work and they all work the same.

Ive gone nuts the last couple years with 20v dewalt stuff. I have their new ratchets, a hand full of impacts of different flavors. I really like their atomic line of tools with the powerstack batteries. I always watch Home Depot, Lowes and Acme tool for online deals. they often run specials for free batteries or free tools with purchases.

I don’t think the brand matters as much as the grade of tools you buy. The consumer tools at Home Depot aren’t the same as the professional ones at the construction supply store, and they are priced accordingly.
I don’t care what color they are, I don’t pay for the tools I use at work and they all work the same.
say again? you're saying the brushless fuel hammer drill 2904 at hd is different than the brushless fuel hammer drill 2904 that milwaukee sells? does milwaukee sell a better hammer drill that is unadvertised? yes they have the mx version, but i believe mx is also available at hd

say again? you're saying the brushless fuel hammer drill 2904 at hd is different than the brushless fuel hammer drill 2904 that milwaukee sells? does milwaukee sell a better hammer drill that is unadvertised? yes they have the mx version, but i believe mx is also available at hd
That looks like an example of me being wrong. Apparently big box stores are selling better tools now. That’s good to see because some look like good tools but there’s plastic gears instead of metal gears inside, flimsy clutches, and other differences. I truly don’t know what part numbers are of tools I use all I know is I can rely on them to make money.
I had a full set of fuel tools that were great, then one day the shop came to the jobsite and took them and gave me a full set of yellow 20v. They’re all good too. Minor differences: the yellow small portaband is NOT variable speed and the fuel was. It’s a thing when you’re cutting stainless, so I use a cutoff wheel instead. Also the fuel hackzall is probably the best tool for cuts in cramped spaces and the yellow recip saw isn’t as good a fit.
Thanks for pointing out the fact they sell better tools. They’re worth the money if you’re using them to make money.

HD item has the 2904 drill and 2953 driver
Amazon has the 2804 drill and 2853 driver in the 2997-22
The 2996-22 is the One Key version
While I appreciate the information you provided, I do doubt I have you on speed dial. So the next time I see package deals I won't know what to do except wait for you to post.... ;)

How does one decipher the model numbers for the items in the kit as well as the differences in the individual items, i.e. what's the difference between the 2804 and the 2904? WTF is a 'one key' and why would I care?

Teach me.

While I appreciate the information you provided, I do doubt I have you on speed dial. So the next time I see package deals I won't know what to do except wait for you to post.... ;)

How does one decipher the model numbers for the items in the kit as well as the differences in the individual items, i.e. what's the difference between the 2804 and the 2904? WTF is a 'one key' and why would I care?

Teach me.
:laughing: Wish I knew. One key is pointless unless you’re a contractor (tracking device with tool shutdown). The nine in 2904 delineates a “newer model “ as I can’t see a difference in power/speed. I’m sure Milwaukee has a master key for part number decoding but I haven’t seen one. I just am good with the Google I guess:grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh