What's new

Repairing or sealing a crack in a house basement wall

End it here. If you don't follow this advice Fox news will send the Klan to piss on your welcome mat.

Seriously, this is great advice; that we all know you're going to ignore.

Be a man about it and pay us our free entertainment fee.:laughing:

Y’all sure get your panties in a wad because I’m only interested in sealing the crack not stopping my house from settling. :laughing:

Mainly to help keep critters like spiders from finding a way in.

Really.....you're worried about spiders and not water? Suck it up nancy.

I may do the steel plate idea but overall this thread is what’s best to seal the crack not stop my house from settling. if water was an issue maybe I’d look into mud jacking but it’s not and I’m not worried about that.

That's my point. If you don't limit the opening from getting wider, there's no point in sealing it at all. It will get wider and what ever process you take to seal it will be moot. Those spiders will still get in and crawl into your mouth and ears while you sleep. If you only seal it, then you won't be able to finish the wall back out because deep down in your peg..you'll know that the crack is there and still opening and letting the creepy crawlys in.

How can you be sure the crack is from settling? Let's see some pics of this crack.

How can you be sure the crack is from settling? Let's see some pics of this crack.

What else would cause it? It’s a 42 year old house and no telling how long it’s had a crack in the wall before I moved in 20+ years ago. I know one thing for sure about concrete and that it’s guaranteed to crack over time.

ive said this already in here that no water ever comes in my basement through this crack or elsewhere for that matter. We had a major storm blow through last night with high winds and hail storm, nothing in my basement from it.

If the crack is running up and down and it’s the same width it’s from the wall pushing in. If it’s wider or narrower at the top or bottom it’s from settling. Post a picture.

What else would cause it? It’s a 42 year old house and no telling how long it’s had a crack in the wall before I moved in 20+ years ago. I know one thing for sure about concrete and that it’s guaranteed to crack over time.

Lateral movement is a more prevalent cause. The basement wall acts as a beam when it comes to vertical loads, a deep beam. It would take significant settlement to disrupt a beam that deep. If you have settlement of that magnitude, dont cover it, fix it.

ive said this already in here that no water ever comes in my basement through this crack or elsewhere for that matter. We had a major storm blow through last night with high winds and hail storm, nothing in my basement from it.

Put a garden hose on it outside I bet it leaks into the basement. US waterproofing didnt do anything with the settling on mine, just sealed the crack up with epoxy and their spray foam shit, money well spent.

Top Back Refresh