What's new

Remote Controlling a Skid-Steer

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
Lets say I wanted to remote control an old school skid steer (no pilot or electric controls) just for fun. Machine would be used for snow removal, forklift stuff, and other fuckery.

This skid steer controls are levers and linkages that operate valves right in the pump.

I like things simple. I think I should be looking into mechanically operating the foot pedals and hand levers and throttle. I think this would be simpler and cheaper than getting into the hydraulics.

So, should I be looking into gearhead stepper motors with a lever on the output shaft, or should I be looking into linear actuators (high speed or not) with position feedback, or should I be looking at something else entirely?

I would also like to be able to operate it conventionally and would prefer to not have to disconnect a bunch of linkages, but if I have to install/remove linkages I will.

I think stepper gearhead motor is the more common/reliable/inexpensive option.

So, what stuff should I be shopping for (handheld remote/control box/actuators/etc)?This would be in an open cab (covered ROPS) that will be rained/snowed in while in operation, but stored in a heater garage.

I used to turn OTS machines into remote control machinery to do waste site cleanup including places like Fukushima. I would have never gone after control of the machines at the levers. I always used valve bodies controlled by switches/relays.
Were they overly concerned with budget at places like Fukushima?
Were you remoting machines that had neither hydraulic pilot controls or electric joystick controls?

Were they overly concerned with budget at places like Fukushima?
Were you remoting machines that had neither hydraulic pilot controls or electric joystick controls?
They were most concerned with robustness, not killing people and not contaminating the world with nuclear waste. :laughing:
Give the steppers a try. I'd keep it super fawkin slow at first. :laughing:

What's the throw and rough input force on all the circuits? RC servos can have some impressive force and would be very simple to package and control if they'll work. This one has a 118 ft/kg stall torque for example.

Hell no to mechanically controlling the human operator inputs...the forces involved and possibility of things getting stuck on a piece of heavy equipment are too high. I'd definitely want to have remotely controlled valves/switches/etc.

Also, first thing you do is wire an independent remote kill switch and make sure any loss of signal also does remote kill and application of brakes.

Hell no to mechanically controlling the human operator inputs...the forces involved and possibility of things getting stuck on a piece of heavy equipment are too high. I'd definitely want to have remotely controlled valves/switches/etc.

Also, first thing you do is wire an independent remote kill switch and make sure any loss of signal also does remote kill and application of brakes.
Shut the fuck up. How are we supposed to get the “I parked my remote control skidsteer in my neighbors basement” thread.

What's the throw and rough input force on all the circuits? RC servos can have some impressive force and would be very simple to package and control if they'll work. This one has a 118 ft/kg stall torque for example.

Well, that whole place is just awesome.
119 kg.cm translates to 8 foot.lbs which isn't much. I'll have to get the fish scale out and see what it takes to operate the levers and pedals.

with redundancy in all systems. this shit can go so badly wrong.:laughing:

The kill switch and out-of-range safety off is a no-brainer. Kill switch can be wired through the seat belt circuit. No belt=SAHR brakes applied, also easy to wire into the ignition.

I'd look at linear actuators for the gas & brake. High speed for brake in case of shtf, HD servos for X&Y axis on hand controls. Higher end radios AFAIK can control speed (limit) of servo movement so you can slow them down if needed while you learn how not to park it in a basement or hit your truck.

I used to turn OTS machines into remote control machinery to do waste site cleanup including places like Fukushima. I would have never gone after control of the machines at the levers. I always used valve bodies controlled by switches/relays.
i was going to say this aswell. Use linear actuators at the valve body.

I know they used remote control skid-steers and other equipment for the cleanup in the Corvette Museum sinkhole in Bowling Green, KY. They had videos on YT. I tried to find them again, didn’t have any luck. I know, big help.

I'd look at linear actuators for the gas & brake. High speed for brake in case of shtf, HD servos for X&Y axis on hand controls. Higher end radios AFAIK can control speed (limit) of servo movement so you can slow them down if needed while you learn how not to park it in a basement or hit your truck.
skid steers dont have gas or brake. You have a engine speed you set, somtimes by your foot but mostly a lever. and then you apply force at a joy stick or lever and modulate hydraulic flow.

They are hydrostatic so when you let off the lever or joystick they just fucking stop turning

they do have "park brakes" but your really just locking off hydraulic oil at the wheel motor

the biggest problem i see is when you lost signal on rc stuff it would just continue with the last input because it wasnt told to stop. may have changed but it used to be that way. antenna would break off and your shit would take the fuck off.

I think Kobelco excavators have been remote controlling their excavators for some time now

Thought I saw that they can sit in the factory and send machinery into nuke clean up sites or something

maybe see how they do it and then we will wait for the damage

RC Killdozer? With the concrete cap on they won't know that you arent in it till you can get away. Good thinking

Xbox controller, an Arduino and some relays driving valve bodies. Put the sensitive electronics in a plastic washdown box, sealing the wire pass-throughs with hot glue.

Your best bet is to get 5 linear actuators with position feed back. 2 for the hydrostats, 2 for the loader controls and one for throttle. Easiest for me was to use Arduino. Need one output for on and off, one for start and another for the parking brake. What model machine are you looking at installing this on?

Oh yeah and for being able to use it normally after conversion just sit in the seat and hold the controller. Seriously tho you could get two electronic joysticks to put in the operators compartment so you could operate it "conventionally"

I vote processor to control whatever you decide to use for motive force.

I'd say you need 50 ft lbs of force and a return to neutral if no input.

Sounds like a good science project.

What's our fawking budget?

I vote processor to control whatever you decide to use for motive force.

I'd say you need 50 ft lbs of force and a return to neutral if no input.

Sounds like a good science project.

What's our fawking budget?

Double points if you can automate it using some stereo cameras/lidar/somethingsomething to be autonomous.

Top Back Refresh